Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Twin Turbski
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few months ago, I found a PC in the trash while I was walking home from work. Looked like it had potential so I put it under my arm and took it home and sure enough, had an LGA 775 based motherboard inside. It's an HP Slimline with a very weak 775 Pentium based chip (stock). After a careful evaluation I thought I might as well save it from the crusher, as it has SATA III and DDR3 memory. The CPU fan was seized up which is likely why the PC was thrown out. Having an older (and better) copper heatsink with 80mm fan, I swapped that on and the system booted right up with no issues.

Next step was to ditch the mechanical hard drive, so I swapped in an Intel DC 3500 series 80GB SSD in its place… and installed Windows 10. This really woke the system up and is likely the best modification you can do to an older rig to breathe new life into it. I then swapped in my LGA 775 based CPU, a Core 2 Duo E8400 running @ 3.0 GHz. This chip is fast and offers a large improvement in performance over the stock Pentium chip. However, I just couldn't leave it as just a dual core and so, on Monday I purchased a QX6850 for $40 and I figured that would be it. Put the new chip in and use ThrottleStop to overclock it. Yeah, seems like a good idea. Bought the chip used from eBay.
But as fate would have it, a friend on the forum caught wind of my latest acquisition, the QX6850 purchase, and offered his Asus P5Q3 as a superior piece for my build. And I couldn't agree more. So we went back and forth for a little while and finally decided on a trade: I'm giving him an AMD Phenom II 960T (hexacore) and a couple older video cards, and In return, I will get the Asus P5Q3 board so I can really crank up the wick!!

So, next step is to start disassembly and hopefully the new CPU is here by mid next week. Then it's going to be an all new build (at least for me) with a spare 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz 7-8-7-20 CR1 kit of RAM. I am hoping to hit 4.0 GHz on my overclocked QX6850. So first thing I am going to do is test the CPU with a 400Mhz FSB (since it's QDR that means 1600Mhz FSB), and combined with a 1:2 ratio on the memory, I should be able to see 1600Mhz memory speeds. Once I get that all dialed in I will work on bumping up the multiplier to obtain the maximum CPU speed (on air). So that's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

Stay tuned for pictures and results!

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,918 Posts
Trading a 960T for a QX6850 seems like a bad trade, especially if it unlocks stable to an X6 :)

It's fun playing with old hardware so if you're doing it for fun just ignore me - but if you're going after performance it's a bit of a step backwards.

·
Twin Turbski
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No no no… I traded my spare 960T (I'm obviously keeping the one that overclocks to 4.0 GHz and unlocks to a stable hexacore) in exchange for his Asus P5Q3 mobo. Since I paid $34.95 for the extra 960T, it's actually a pretty good deal because he wanted $50 straight for the motherboard before this.

That's why I put "Oldschool Cool" in the subject line ;)
And performance wise it's not a step backwards. It's older hardware but a core 2 Quad extreme running at 4.0 GHz is still a force to be reckoned with. Not to say I'm going to compete with an I9, however with an SSD and 1600 MHz memory I highly doubt there would be more than a few seconds difference between the two rigs in boot time.
This is all just for fun anyway. I've done the LGA 771 to 775 conversion and I enjoyed that immensely. Waiting to move on to the Core 2 Quad Extreme chips before I get my grubby little hands on a ThreadRipper II 

·
Twin Turbski
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Getting to DDR3-1600 speed on a P45 board won't be easy - I wish you luck. :)
Really? Seems like it was no problem with my old P43 board and Q9550 processor. If anything, I think it would be easier than that... just a few clicks of the keyboard from 333 to 400 shouldn't deplete my energy reserves :)

·
Twin Turbski
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Build is complete but fine tuning still required

Well then maybe it was just my bad luck that I had problems. :)

I have completed the build phase, however I am still having trouble getting to the full DDR3 1600 speed.

I successfully overlcocked to the CPU to 3.6Ghz @ 1600Mhz FSB but I am having to run the memory at 1066Mhz for now until I can get the memory issues ironed out.

Enjoy some pictures for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts