Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad just went crazy over a C. He was like "WHAT?!? A C?!? HOW DARE YOU!" Sometimes I wish I wasn't so smart. Being a GATE student, they except me to be the best. Always with the high exceptions. I got into PACE and learned that it's impossible to be that good. Yet they still want more. It's like, the harder you work, the harder you have to work! As a 13 year old college student (well, just during the summer), I know a lot more about education then they do. But they're "always right". Now I just "agree" with them just to get them to shut up. I know a lot of people who party because they got a lot of B's. B? "It can improve". A-? "I can improve". A? "Why haven't you skipped a grade yet?!?". No I got a C. Big deal. And guess what? It's a elective. AVID. Why a C? Becuase I don't have 2 pens! or 2 #2 pencils? Or a 6" ruler! or specially labeled dividers! Are colleges even going to care about electives? No. I learned that in AVID. Or about PE? No. Still they freak about it. I think of sending a kid to school is about learning, not for bregging rights, or in hopes that the parent will get a big house for it. Albert Enstian was a failure at school and he became one of the world's best scientests! So was a bunch of other people. This brainwashing shows in the kids. "Hey I got 0.1% more then you!" "Noooo!!!!". "I got a C- on my spelling test! <insert cry about child abuse here>" I'm 13 years old and I'm a student of California State Univeristy, and that's no egough? Get this: most of the other kids don't have a life. The smartest kid in class? What does he do? Game and read. What do most of the "smart" girls do? Worship anime. "I'm smarter then you." "Well I have a life, what do you do on the weekends?" "Study and play some games" "Do you have any friends over?" "No." "Ha. my and my friends hang out all the time
" "Soooo. I got 5% higher in Science then you." "Eh" [/rant]

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
**** YOU GOT A C IN A PUBLIC CALIFORNIA SCHOOL, BAN HIM!! Lets put it this way, Bill Gates was a C Student, so was president Bush. It's not the end of the world now is it?

·
Premium Member
10,351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

**** YOU GOT A C IN A PUBLIC CALIFORNIA SCHOOL, BAN HIM!! Lets put it this way, Bill Gates was a C Student, so was president Bush. It's not the end of the world now is it?

Bill Gates was a drop-out, mang

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Wait... is how is that supossed to be a good thing

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
pshh.. My theory is relax untill grade 10 or 11. Try your butt off in grade 12, enjoy. My priorities are all my "real courses" first then everything else. Electives homework I don't do unless I really have that much free time. And PE's a joke anyways, just sit there and throw volleyballs at people and get a C

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyyboii

13 year old college student?

Yeah, I'm in the PACE program

Quote:

Originally Posted by r3tard

pshh.. My theory is relax untill grade 10 or 11. Try your butt off in grade 12, enjoy. My priorities are all my "real courses" first then everything else. Electives homework I don't do unless I really have that much free time. And PE's a joke anyways, just sit there and throw volleyballs at people and get a C

LOL

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
It all comes down to discipline. Unless you have a severe learning disability, even the most "dumb" of persons can obtain good marks. Being smart will only get you so far (both in school and in the outside world). When parents get pissed off because their kids are doing so poorly in school it's usually because they see it as a failure in the child's overall disciplinary habits.
It's a mistake to compare people of different backgrounds and personality by stating "well Mr. X over there dropped out and look at him now". School and learning *is* important, since it's the only sure thing that will get you a life latter on (whether it's a good one or bad is up to you). Most of this entrepreneurs and highly successful millionaires we hear of are in actuality very smart; even the ones that dropped out of school have some form of higher level education (school or self thought). Another thing is that many of these "drop out geniuses" have that little extra (call it a strong will or that they are driven) that allowed them to be where they are; very few people have those qualities (it's a fact).
@ OP:
Not trying to be an ass here. Just saying that there is really no reason you should not be getting high marks in school. There is a reason you got where you are; obviously because you are smart and know how to get things done.

·
Registered
677 Posts
im a drop out, and look at me now, to me honestly i think it was the best decision i made in my life. Im getting my GED and going to the army reserve for computer engineering, get myself an edumikation there =P

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Uhh...you shouldn't have used Bush as an example- I sure wouldn't want to follow in his footsteps. Running businesses into the ground isn't really something I, or anyone else would wanna do.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ch13f121

Uhh...you shouldn't have used Bush as an example- I sure wouldn't want to follow in his footsteps. Running businesses into the ground isn't really something I wanna do.

Whatever, you get the point. A lot of people want to be the pres. and just saying, you don't need to have a billion IQ to be it.

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
What is GATE? They had it in my elementary school and I was in it up until 5th grade when I moved to where I live now, they don't have the GATE program here, something about being ahead of other students right? What I mean is what does it stand for, I've long since forgotten lol.

I've always been a terrible student, I would rarely do my homework and I have pretty much never studied in my life (I don't have the attention span to do it lol, I have tried a few times but always give up but I still do fine on tests) but this year I decided to try harder and I did all my homework and I actually have straight As right now (except for my Film class, I missed one 20 point homework assignment and since there are only like 3 homework assignments so far and homework is 46% of our grade, it dropped me down to an 80% lol, talk about great grading systems
) and I've learned that in public schools atleast, you barely have to put forth any effort to get As, I spend at most 30 minutes on all of my homework and still get it all done...I guess it's just up to if you want to take all sorts of over the top classes and over stretch yourself which, to me, it sounds like what's causing you to do worse than you'd like to be doing, my unprofessional advice is to relax a bit and don't always take the AP and Honors classes in every single subject

·
Premium Member
8,379 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stealth2o

im a drop out, and look at me now, to me honestly i think it was the best decision i made in my life. Im getting my GED and going to the army reserve for computer engineering, get myself an edumikation there =P

That's exactly my point. You are still striving for some form of education.

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
Quote:

Whatever, you get the point. A lot of people want to be the pres. and just saying, you don't need to have a billion IQ to be it.

Haha yeah, I just felt like being a sarcastic ass

On a sidenote, I graduated high school with a 2.8 gpa....and I'm currently attending a technical college and busting ass there. High school wasn't a big big big priority, all I cared about was passing with decent grades. College is when you prepare for setting out into the world, and making something out of your life, not high school, and that's what I'm doing. I think I'm passing right now in my classes with Bs, which is where I like to be.

and BTW, my major in school right now is Computer/Information Technology. I get my A+ classes next semester, along with a class in C programming

·
Registered
677 Posts
my advice is, although im not doing bad myself as a drop out with a GED, just dont drop out unless you have a really good reason. and tell your parents to chill. its your life, and everybody makes mistakes, if we didnt we wouldnt learn. Like Remonster said, just relax and take it easy dont overwork your self, dont forget you still got your whole life full of work

·
Registered
4,064 Posts
I think working your ass off to get As in public school is a waste....your a kid, you should have fun moreso than work. That's just my take on it. Life makes you learn whether you like it or not, and you'll adapt as you get older- I'm doing so now, I never studied in high school, but I do now...a little

1 - 20 of 29 Posts