Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off ...this is the first time i build a computer ..so any advice is great aprreciate..well after i finish build this new rig...it run pretty well for a few days..then it start to RESET w/o any warning.....please help quickly b4 my computer RESET again...

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Faulty power supply?

Wires not plugged in all the way?

Wires plugged into the wrong spot?

Bad installation of Windows?

Unhook everything and rehook it back up.

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
The ultra's are known to be a bit finicky. You have a really decent rig there. too bad you skimped on the power supply, it may be causing the problems. It's unlikely that wires are in the wrong place as it would give issues out of the gate. If its not the power supply, its possible that it could be overheating. Have you checked the cpu temps? Also are you Overclocking at all. I noticed you have stock cooling on your cpu. did you check to see if it was seated correctly and thermal compound properly applied?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well...i;m not overclock just yet...my cpu temp is around 36 Celsius (IDLE) and 44 when loaded...well i just check all the wires...it seem like all in the right places..anywayz i just read somewhere in this forum mention that you need to flash the BIOS b4 install WINDOW..and to tell you the true i don't have a floppy drive so i update the BIOS after installed the WINDOW...is this the reason that cause this???

·
Premium Member
20,338 Posts
With the premium, I flashed the bios both from dos with a bootable cd and within windows with the asus updater. both worked fine. It is very unlikely a result of bios updates.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As Robilar mention, maybe my power supply cause this...but i actually spent $110 on this Ultra power supply (SLI Ready). It seem power supply is not the case..but i cant figure out what casue this.....

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
we have nearly the same exact rig!

try reinstalling windows, but dont get SP2, and see what happens, (of course you could just try microsoft.com, and search for an answer)

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
When you flashed the bios did you clear cmos and load optimized defaults? This is a must after a bios flash, then you can set the bios the way you like.

·
Premium Member
4,348 Posts
Maybe its not a hardware problem...it could be a virus or something like that...i remember on my old pc it would reboot randomly..i installed an antivirus...ran it..and after cleaning up it didnt reboot anymore on its own...so try an antivirus...you could use the Norton internet security 2006 trial...or AVG free antivirus

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well...i'm using Mcafee antivirus s/w rightnow...i'm just scan it..NADA..i'm so #@$*ed ...after spent so much money on this rig..also i just reinstall window again...still it RESET on its own ...man it so frustrated..i think i'm gonna take a hammer start smash this rig up.....j/k

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Immortality

As Robilar mention, maybe my power supply cause this...but i actually spent $110 on this Ultra power supply (SLI Ready). It seem power supply is not the case..but i cant figure out what casue this.....

I can sell you a cracker for $300. Does that mean the cracker tastes good? Not at all.

Price can't be used to determine that. You'll need to buy a digital multimeter(they go for $20 at radioshack) and test the rails.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't want to hijack the thread here but just wanted to quickly check with you guys...

Just got my new rig in the specs below... and I am putting it together right now... the 3700+ is still in the box... Do I run it with stock paste first to see if everything is okay for the first couple of weeks and should I go directly to AS5?

Just wondering if I should run the comp at stock first to see if there are any defects...

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
How many power connectors have you plugged in to the hdd's, If they're sata drives they only need one supply, two will cause problems

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

well...i'm using Mcafee antivirus s/w rightnow...i'm just scan it..NADA..i'm so #@$*ed ...after spent so much money on this rig..also i just reinstall window again...still it RESET on its own ...man it so frustrated..i think i'm gonna take a hammer start smash this rig up.....j/k

OK I totally understand that this is frustrating, but look at this issue from all angles and you can figure this out. What I would do first is make sure that you have unplugged everything and re-seated it. Then look for smaller things like is there paper washers on all the screws to the mother board? I heard this might, a small chance, cause shorts in the PC. If you have done all that, look at all the stuff you have in the case and then start un plugging it then starting the computer up and seeing if the issue goes away with certain things unplugged. Do you have another Vid card that you can borrow? That might be over heating, or perhaps reinstall the bios as suggested. How long does it take to reset is it the same amount of time everytime, or just resets right away?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
well...i just reinstall window again (3rd times) and it working like a charm ...no more reset for 3 hours straight...i'm crossing my fingers right now....anywayz if my rig go 24 hours with out RESET ..i'm gonna overclock it...btw my computer temp is at 21 C (idle) (so FX60 here i come) lol...anywayz thank you guys for all the advices...GREAT FORUM!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

well...i just reinstall window again (3rd times) and it working like a charm ...no more reset for 3 hours straight...i'm crossing my fingers right now....anywayz if my rig go 24 hours with out RESET ..i'm gonna overclock it...btw my computer temp is at 21 C (idle) (so FX60 here i come) lol...anywayz thank you guys for all the advices...GREAT FORUM!!!

Glad to see you worked it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts