Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start my first build thread here incase i need any help. Anyways the parts arrived yesterday and it's all put together. I am installing windows xp right now....giggle giggle
im so excited

Lol my first question! I changed my cdrom to the primary boot to install windows but when Im finished installing windows do I change it back to what it was?

Also my CPU heat sink came with silver on it already? I just left it on...is that okay or should i put on some of the silver i bought?

Anyways if anyone is interested I'll let ya know how my first computer turns out! So far i'm really lovin the screen

thx

·
Registered
579 Posts
I would use the thermal paste you payed for. the stock stuff sux0rs. You gonna start clocking it up right after the OS is on it??? cause you should....

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
You should probably put on your own layer of Arctic Silver on. You can leave your first boot location as the CDROM, the only difference between making the HD the primary is shorter boot time.

·
Banned
233 Posts
ok dude you could turn of cdrom on primary which will increase boot time but you should put it back to primary if you need to reinstall windows

I think you should use the silver that you bought the silver that comes with Cpus are not that good

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
Congrats on the build
The stock paste will work until you start overclocking it. Is the other stuff you bought AS5? If so when you apply it just place a small dot of it in the center of the die and place the heatsink on it.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
First question: Once you're all installed, yes, you can go into your bios and change it to when you want it to boot the cdrom.

Question 2: The thermal material already on there is a stock thermal material, that is probably NOT as a good as arctic silver 5. Im betting everyone will tell you that removing it and using AS5 will be better, and give you cooler temps.

·
Registered
579 Posts
make sure to get all the old crap off first! and start clockin it UP. Im still waiting on a 3.0ghz 3700. I couldnt get my budies 3700 past 2.75 even with my 1337 h4x0r overclocking skills (sarcasm).

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Did you get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro/non pro? If so then the paste that comes on it is Arctic Cooling MX1, just as good as AS5. If you got a different cooler then I would take off the preapplied paste and try AS5. What cooler and paste did you get?

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulB

make sure to get all the old crap off first! and start clockin it UP. Im still waiting on a 3.0ghz 3700

3Ghz 3700+? like mine?

I've pushed it to 3.1 for a suicide run on SuperPI.

See Here

HOPEFULLY tfunk, you'll have the same results as me with good cooling. i don't even have AS5...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow windows just finished installing looks like im close. I do want to OC it but i need to go slow because I've never tried before. I keep reading this site which got me addicted in the first place and made me decide to build rather than shop at futureshop...thx guys!

Sounds good I'll make sure to put some AS on the heat sink before i OC.

The other thing i was wondering about is software...

Is there something to run to check stability?

Also, benchmarks...do i just download mark05 and run it?
any software apps you guys can suggest to help monitor stability or just so i can learn more about my comp would be great!

thanks

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
yeah, 3DMarks are good for graphics benchmarking and general system stability (and yes, just download, install, and run). Prime95 is really good for testing CPU stability at 100% usage. SuperPI can also test for stability when doing the larger calculations.

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tfunk

wow windows just finished installing looks like im close. I do want to OC it but i need to go slow because I've never tried before. I keep reading this site which got me addicted in the first place and made me decide to build rather than shop at futureshop...thx guys!

Sounds good I'll make sure to put some AS on the heat sink before i OC.

The other thing i was wondering about is software...

Is there something to run to check stability?

Also, benchmarks...do i just download mark05 and run it?
any software apps you guys can suggest to help monitor stability or just so i can learn more about my comp would be great!

thanks

For software... you will want:

For CPU stability get prime 95
For video card stability get ATI tool or ati tray tools (better)
Cpu & mem benchmark get superpi (1M is the standard test size)
For 3D benchmark get 3Dmark (whichever version you fancy)
For CPU, fsb, & mem information you want cpu-z
For CPU temperature monitoring you want speedfan

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fishie36

For software... you will want:

For CPU stability get prime 95
For video card stability get ATI tool or ati tray tools (better)
Cpu & mem benchmark get superpi (1M is the standard test size)
For 3D benchmark get 3Dmark (whichever version you fancy)
For CPU, fsb, & mem information you want cpu-z
For CPU temperature monitoring you want speedfan

All that, plus memtest for testing memory.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that's just the list i needed thanks so much.

I can't believe the difference a DVI cable made....but maybe it's the video card. Either way, when I saw my screen the in the store it was hooked up by analog and I could see small hints of banding or something. Mine is looking really shard at all resolutions. Couldn't be happier.

Well time to install some games and software wooohooo and play around

1 - 14 of 14 Posts