Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i went in to bios to try and OC my ram...i was just trying to adjust the command rate from 2 to 1...well when i did this windows wouldnt start..so i went back into bios and changed it back to original settings...now windows still wont start...i tried to do the "fail-safe settings" and windows still wont work...

what did i do? did i break windows by changing the command rate of my ram?

any ideas or info would be greatly appreciated...i am freaking out here..

system:
I3
gb p67a-ud7 b3 mobo
corsair vengeance 1600 ram 8gb (2x4)
wd 1tb hdd
msi 660 ti

·
professional curmudgeon
10,543 Posts
are you sure that you saved before exiting the bios?

or try to reset to the default settings.

·
professional curmudgeon
10,543 Posts
you able to run memtest off of a USB?

if you're getting into the BIOS i would believe the RAM is fine. worse case is somehow the windows went south but i honestly have no idea why.

·
Registered
501 Posts
One at a time, unplug the power while working:

Reseat the RAM sticks.
Try boot with only 1 RAM stick
Pull out CMOS battery, wait a few hours or overnight.
Unplug all PSU connectors, pull out CMOS battery, wait overnight.
Take the whole system appart and rebuild.

·
Registered
616 Posts
push your power botton 10~15 secs to start recovering your backup bios in order to boot up first.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar3f View Post

Reseat the RAM sticks.
roger that...will do. i'll let ya know what happens

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,832 Posts
Windows won't start, but does it give error or just resets when it shows windows icon ?

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
I'd go for some HDD corruption as common with a lot of boot loop scenarios.

If you use something like boot to a UBCD4Win or Windows PE environment and do a chkdsk on the drive.

·
Registered
616 Posts
i dont think his windows boot up failure caused by hdd but wrong ram timing, all he need to do is reset/recover his bios settings, gigabyte provide anditional bios as backup and very easy to deal with suitation like this.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar3f View Post

Reseat the RAM sticks.
to make this process quicker, make sure pc is unplugged, take out cmos battery and hold the power button for 10-15 seconds. then put pc back together. All your doing is draining the powere left instead of waiting for it to drain its self.

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by landyzhu View Post

i dont think his windows boot up failure caused by hdd but wrong ram timing, all he need to do is reset/recover his bios settings, gigabyte provide anditional bios as backup and very easy to deal with suitation like this.
If you actually read the thread, in the original post it indicates that the BIOS settings were reverted to their previous values.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

If you actually read the thread, in the original post it indicates that the BIOS settings were reverted to their previous values.
Yes they were ..also tried the default settings..and the fail-safe settings

·
Registered
616 Posts
did you flash back your bios from the secondary chip?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by landyzhu View Post

did you flash back your bios from the secondary chip?
Umm. I don't know..I know when I go into bios all of the setting I can see are set to default...how do I see this second bios you speak of

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by respartan View Post

Also. I AM able to run the windows repair. It asks me to restore but when I say ok it tells me it's unable to...
Mine does that all the time,its never worked for me.I just boot into safe mode and then reboot normally,never failed me yet.

Can you boot into safe mode?

·
professional curmudgeon
10,543 Posts
@nepas: i believe he did say that safe mode was a no go.

i keep thinking your windows got corrupted.

how?

i don't know because afaik window reads from the HD/SSD during boot up and doesn't write anything back that is in RAM(?). i think there may be a program that will nondestructively add a partition to your HD (shrinking the one you have to make room and add another.) on the HBCD if so, add another partition and install windows. if everything goes well then we located the correct problem.

you can also try linux on a stick that won't install anything but run a linux OS off of a usb stick. if that goes well then you would want to reinstall windows because it won't be a hardware/BIOS problem. reinstalling windows won't cause to to lose everything, there is an option during the installation process to save some/most of your files once windows installer "sees" an already existing installation.

i hope you get it sorted no matter if my instinct is right or not.
thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 71 Posts