Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finnaly got all my parts in, and when i went to install my Ek-FC580 block on the EVGA GTX 580.. i relized they used torx bits.. so ok i went to town and bought the smallest they had, well they are still prob 2 sizes to big, why coun't they be normal and use screws like every other gpu in the world, now i can't take my rig to the lan party tomarrow.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Need a T-6 bit. Oh boy. A small allen key will do it, but be really careful lest you strip it.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by RonB94GT
View Post

A lot of times a Allen wrench will work.

tryed that.. don't own anything small enough

Quote:

Originally Posted by *********
View Post

Need a T-6 bit. Oh boy. A small allen key will do it, but be really careful lest you strip it.

ya the t8 i got in a kit with some other random things i will never use is to big, so im guessing t-6 would be the thing.. but why coun't they jut use reguilar screws.. i mean evga lets u take off the coolers n all

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
no home depot out there? or a radio shack nearby? either one would have a stand-alone T6.

I guess they use T6's to keep non-enthusiasts out...lol...sorry.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

View Post

no home depot out there? or a radio shack nearby? either one would have a stand-alone T6.

I guess they use T6's to keep non-enthusiasts out...lol...sorry.

ya theirs one about 30 min away, same with radio shack its about 25, but its dark and i don't wana go back to town i guess i know what ill be doing to tomarrow night

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
uhh, you have werewolves and vampires come out after dark? lol.

there ya go...at least you know where to find one.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

View Post

uhh, you have werewolves and vampires come out after dark? lol.

there ya go...at least you know where to find one.

just sucks i gave up on ups delvery and went and got my card and blocks on my own, and then come home and start taking my rig apart... and notice those stupid t-6's lol..

·
Registered
472 Posts
They used those screws so that less skilled people wouldn't ruin the thermal pads when they attempted to change the thermal paste on the GPU. It makes sense. You can get most of the cooler off with a simple Phillips screw driver, but those who use water coolers should have the technical know-how (and tools) to get the rest off.

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Don't risk anything, just wait until tomorrow. You should have picked up an EK backplate as it comes with a T6 wrench

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Sometimes putting a rubber band in the screw head then using something smaller to grip the rubber band thus gripping the screw, worth a try.

·
Premium Member
9,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by adamlau
View Post

Don't risk anything, just wait until tomorrow. You should have picked up an EK backplate as it comes with a T6 wrench

it does look very sexy.. but i have already spent enough and coun't be arsed to spend that extra $30 when i was ordering, ill prob get the backplate sometime when i get more money.. have to count change to go to mcdonalds now.. lol

i really wana get to overclocking this beast, but im already at 80*c in games witht he stock clocks and cooler

1 - 20 of 25 Posts