Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend gave me his Steelseries 5Hv2 usb sound card because he actually has a dedicated card. It was originally going to be used with my laptop but now that I actually have a good desktop I figured I should ask first. I know that usb cards are not that good and even a crappy dedicated is better than a usb card, but would it be better than the onboard that i have on my P5K deluxe?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Depends on what sound your P5K has, and what the USB sound card is.

IMO, onboard HD realtec audio etc, is better then any USB.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
The P5K has a very good onboard sound card actually so I highly doubt the USB unit will be better. But if you want, compare the sound of the two for yourself.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, the usb uses C-media USB Headphone Set and the onboard is realtek HD. we'll see how thing turn out

·
Eh, Wha?
9,951 Posts
Usb's can be pretty hit or miss. Even a good one is no good for gaming though (if that's what you're considering). One likely benefit you MIGHT get over onboard is less static, but you need some decent speakers... and ears, to hear the difference in most cases. I'd test it, and if you can actually hear a difference than the answer is clear. Otherwise stick with onboard.

·
Overclocked TI-83
671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by h4rdcor3
View Post

Well, the usb uses C-media USB Headphone Set and the onboard is realtek HD. we'll see how thing turn out

I think of the two, the Realtek would probably be better, unless you're experiencing popping or something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts