Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cringe every time I see someone say, "Get a Thermaltake PSU, they're awesome." Why is that you ask? With reviews like this and this they must be excellent power supplies, right? They are! Except that those aren't the models everyone looks at when they're recommended to go with Thermaltake.

Thermaltake has two major lines of power supplies: the Toughpower units and the PurePower/TR2 units.

The Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs are excellent PSUs, often made by CWT, with high efficiency, good voltage regulation, and good protection chips. They're on par with Corsair most of the time. Overall they're good PSUs and worth considering.

But the PurePower or TR2 units are another story. There aren't as many reviews for them as for the Toughpowers; the most reliable I've found are from HardwareSecrets, and both of the units they tested were shoddy:

Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W

Quote:
Thermaltake TR2 RX 750 W is, according to our methodology, a flawed product that must be avoided at all costs. It can't deliver its labeled wattage at high temperatures, but this is not the worst of it: ripple and noise level are way above the maximum allowed when you pull 80% or more from the unit's labeled capacity (i.e. 600 W and above), overloading your components (especially electrolytic capacitors from the motherboard and video cards), which can cause your PC to present an erratic behavior (crashes and random resets) and, under extreme conditions, damage components.
- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/902/9

Thermaltake PurePower (TR2) 430W NP

Quote:
This is an old ATX power supply where the manufacturer added a 24-pin motherboard connector, SATA power cables and a PCI Express auxiliary power cable to make it compatible with computers available today. Simply updating the cables doesn't make this power supply an updated product.
The main problem with this power supply is that it can't deliver its labeled power. It is, in fact, a 350 W power supply.
You could buy it as if it were a 350 W unit, but when we pulled 355 W from this power supply noise level was touching the maximum admissible limit and efficiency was at 69.6%. With other load patterns the maximum efficiency we saw was 76.9%.

Our conclusion is pretty simple: don't buy this power supply.
- http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/332/9

Thermaltake's power supplies are made by three companies: CWT, Compucase, and Thermaltake itself. CWT makes some of the Toughpower units and some of the TR2/PurePower units. The CWT-made TR2/PurePowers are at least half-decent, but still not very good. However the CWT Toughpower units are essentially identical to their Corsair counterparts. Thermaltake makes the Toughpower XT units. Compucase makes a lot of the low-end PurePower and TR2 PUS and they are absolute garbage. How do you tell the difference?
The UL number.

Find this on your power supply.
E199442 - Compucase - Avoid at all costs
E161451 - CWT - TR2/PurePower: avoid. Toughpower: very good
E303666 - OEM Thermaltake - Quite good usually

When someone is told that all Thermaltake PSUs are good, and they go in Frys and see a $50 Thermaltake TR2 next to a $100 Thermaltake Toughpower, which are they going to get? The cheap-o.

So I must insist; if you recommend a Thermaltake PSU, make sure to qualify it as Thermaltake Toughpower, because otherwise you might as well tell 'em to get a Dynex or some crap like that.

Further Reading

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Informative, Contained proof, 100% accurate.

I'd still get a Corsair though. :-D

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phaedrus2129 View Post
So I must insist; if you recommend a Thermaltake PSU, make sure to qualify it as Thermaltake Toughpower, because otherwise you might as well tell 'em to get a Dynex or some crap like that.
I agree completely. May as well get a Powmax if not the Toughpower....well maybe not that bad.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by V!le View Post
Very interesting!

I've always been a tad skeptical of the low-end TT PSUs, because of the fact that they make such high-end gear in other categories. I guess this just reaffirms that the lowest amount you should ever spend on a PSU is ~$80.
Thanks!

You can go less than $80 if you're looking at real low-wattage power supplies. SeaSonic makes some good 300W units in the $40-60 range. But for any 500W+ PSU, $80 seems to be the lowest price where you find worthwhile units, unless there's a big sale or something.

·
Super Moderator
19,300 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by youra6 View Post
Antec wouldn't be Antec without, well Seasonic and CWT lol (maybe Enhance as well)
Don't forget Delta. They did the Signature and CP series.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hm, don't think Antec use CWT. I think it's SeaSonic, Delta, Enhance, and... someone else. The SeaSonics are rock solid, the Enhances are generally good, Delta is good... I guess the other brand makes their shoddy units?

·
Premium Member
7,826 Posts
Oh yeah Delta, I did forget about them

To phaedrus2129, I think they made the old True Power PSU's. Seasonic may have started to manufacture the newer versions, like the True Power Trio.

I'm not 100% sure, but im pretty positive

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don't know. I know the True Power New units are SeaSonic.

·
Registered
445 Posts
100% correcto
the thermaltake tr2 was the first psu i considered buying(1 year ago), UNTIL i saw those reviews
i'm glad someone decided to bring this up
rep+

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Updated with UL information.

• Rep+
Reactions: basenne

·
Banned
10,307 Posts
Where is all the OCZ love? my psu has been faithfully serving me with no problems at all. it ws originally 85 dollars but the sale made it 65. screamin deal for a great psu

·
Premium Member
8,481 Posts
CWT make the Phantom 500, SmartPowers, original TruePowers and the Neopowers.

So none of their newer units are CWT.

All their new units are either SeaSonic (TruePower News), Delta (Signatures and CPs) or Enhance (TruePower Quatros).

Quote:

Originally Posted by srsparky32 View Post
Where is all the OCZ love? my psu has been faithfully serving me with no problems at all. it ws originally 85 dollars but the sale made it 65. screamin deal for a great psu
OCZ's power supplies aren't very good, save the Z series, and even then, its only real attribute is efficiency; everything else is average.

The FSP Epsilon platform, which is what most of OCZs popular power supplies is based on, isn't very good. At about 550W at 45C, you're going to get voltage ripple barely within ATX Spec. If you try and load it to anywhere near 700W at the same operating temperatures, you'll get Voltage Ripple way out of ATX spec. JonnyGuru recorded 200mV of 12V rail ripple... the max safe is 120mV.

Oh, and nice thread, Phaedrus.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks! I think this might be one of my most repped posts ever.

Made a few more edits.

• Rep+
Reactions: voixdelion

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:

I cringe every time I see someone say, "Get a Thermaltake PSU, they're awesome."
The Thermaltake Toughpower PSUs are excellent PSUs
But the PurePower or TR2 units are another story.
Thanks for bringing this up. The TR2-430 has been over-recommended for way too many years. Sure, it is probably better than the sheer crap that's found bundled with cases, but nobody should be buying ATX 1.3 PSUs for modern rigs.

Quote:

Thermaltake's power supplies are made by three companies: CWT, Compucase, and Thermaltake itself.
Have you seen this thread?

Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
Informative, Contained proof, 83.254% accurate.
Fixed!

Quote:

But for any 500W+ PSU, $80 seems to be the lowest price where you find worthwhile units, unless there's a big sale or something.
Exactly! I'm still running an Enhance ENP-5150GH in my LAN party rig. Got it from Geeks for $15.

·
Premium Member
16,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zap View Post
Thanks for bringing this up. The TR2-430 has been over-recommended for way too many years. Sure, it is probably better than the sheer crap that's found bundled with cases, but nobody should be buying ATX 1.3 PSUs for modern rigs.
Hm, I wonder how one would do powering my Socket A fileserver? I've been looking for a PSU that won't be crossloaded on it.

Quote:
Have you seen this thread?
Thanks man, good resource. HEC and Compucase are one and the same, right? I recall seeing them called HEC/Compucase in the past, and the UL numbers definitely matched Compucase when I checked.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Quote:

Hm, I wonder how one would do powering my Socket A fileserver? I've been looking for a PSU that won't be crossloaded on it.

Get an independantly regulated unit?

I did say "modern rigs" in my post.

Quote:

Thanks man, good resource. HEC and Compucase are one and the same, right? I recall seeing them called HEC/Compucase in the past, and the UL numbers definitely matched Compucase when I checked.
Yes, HEC/Heroichi/CompuCase. A long time ago I had a... maybe 300W Heriochi? The label claimed they were world famous, LOL.

·
Registered
90 Posts
So, since you seem to be the authority on this:

I got a 750watt toughpower on an impulse snipe bid that ended up under 100 bucks shipped- its apparently been used for testing only but hasn't actually been USED used, and the guy claims its still covered under warranty (although the sticker that says void if removed is not intact, its still there).

Given the OP, I see e303666 is OEM Thermal Take but I don't quite know how to interpret the "quite good usually" for my purposes. Even if performing far under what it claims it will still exceed my power needs, so if my main concern is longevity and reliability am I good to go with this unit or should I try to find something else?

Its a w0203 model which is apparently discontinued - claims 60A over 1 single 12v as opposed to the newer "quad rail" ones (which I understand doesn't matter - just to differentiate the model specifically)

1 - 20 of 84 Posts