Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Overclocking
Joined
·
9,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about the thread called "dedicated graphics RAM to the X700".

Chouldn't it be possable If the People that make onboard Video cards; "Intel, SiS, VIA, ATI, Nvidia" that they can sell a extra card for the PCIE16x slot that add's More memory and GPU power to your onboard (So the onboard doesn't take your system ram). Also have Drivers that see the onboard + PCIE16x Slot and add them together, wouldn't that work?

It will be good for onboarders like me and have little money to spend?
 

·
Overclocking
Joined
·
9,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by ClaytonCallihan
View Post

Doesnt leave customization room so probably wouldnt sell too well.

No like, if you want to upgrade a video card for the PCIE slot than sell the other PCIE16x card
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
397 Posts
I always wondered if they could make an onboard GPU that supported up to like 3Gb of ram? That way people with 4+Gb of ram could dedicate up to 3Gb of system memory to act as video memory. That would be a cheap and effective solution to really expensive GFX cards, I guess which is why they don't do it...
 

·
Overclocking
Joined
·
9,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by ClaytonCallihan
View Post

Hmm, not sure how they would do that, it would be complicated, maybe they should come out with "mini cards" that boost your current card and can fit on another slot or something.

yea something cheap and looks like this



EDIT: let me get a 3dmodel of it, I need to draw it out first
 

·
19 Cans of Ravioli
Joined
·
24,254 Posts
If you want to upgrade your video card, you don't upgrade to onboard.

It's that simple.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,023 Posts
Why try to improve a ****ty GPU when you can just buy a decent low-end GPU, that would be alot better, and just as cheap?

Like a 7300 or maybe a 7600.
 

·
Overclocking
Joined
·
9,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by The Pook
View Post

If you want to upgrade your video card, you don't upgrade to onboard.

It's that simple.

yea but to get any good frame rates in games, you need a good video card and most people don't want to spend the extra 200 dollors just for a fast video card.

I know there is people like me that only play CSS and CS and a few other games. If you only play those games, than why get like a fast video card just to play them when you can use mini card lol


REMBER IT's A IDEA > Also good idea for Vista onboard users, added Gpu support for SH3.0 and have some Mb's of Video card ram for vista
 

·
19 Cans of Ravioli
Joined
·
24,254 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Unknownm View Post
yea but to get any good frame rates in games, you need a good video card and most people don't want to spend the extra 200 dollors just for a fast video card.

I know there is people like me that only play CSS and CS and a few other games. If you only play those games, than why get like a fast video card just to play them when you can use mini card lol


REMBER IT's A IDEA > Also good idea for Vista onboard users, added Gpu support for SH3.0 and have some Mb's of Video card ram for vista

...

CS:S runs on like, two onboard GPU's. 6100, 6150, and mebbe the X200. And it has nothing to do with RAM for the ones that don't. It's the fact it sucks.

You can have 50GB of RAM - onboard or not, its going to suck. And if your idea is to play old games, onboard can already PLAY old games.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,525 Posts
You're forgetting that RAM isn't everything. A 6100 only has a few pipes that can process data, while a dedicated card like a 7900GT has 24+. An 8800GTX has 128.

Also, onboard graphics are made to be closely connected to the CPU, since they offload some tasks to it. If you wanted an expansion memory card, it'd work like this:

Onboard -> CPU -> PCIe Card
...rather than...
Onboard -> CPU -> Mobo Memory

So really there's no point. Either connect the GPU with the memory on a single PCB, or use system memory.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Unknownm
View Post

yea something cheap and looks like this



EDIT: let me get a 3dmodel of it, I need to draw it out first

Pshhh...

And what RAM are we limited to that looks like that? DDR2...

Slow. When DDR3 comes out for desktop use *maybe* that would be a good idea, but by then most cards will be using DDR4.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top