Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an X-Fi card, after being told how much better it would sound compared to my onboard sound. I have been playing around with it, and the only difference I have noticed is that I have more options and settings to mess with. Quality wise, I have barely noticed a change.

Is there any reason why I might be missing something for sound quality.

I have the DFI Lanparty JR 790gx-m2rs motherboard with onboard realtec HD sound.
 

·
Legacy Member
Joined
·
2,247 Posts
If you are using low grade speakers or headset then you may very well not notice a difference, otherwise you should have a perceivable difference in quality.
 

·
Jayce
Joined
·
3,767 Posts
It made a HUGE difference for me over my Onboard.

Try tweaking the settings...if you don't know what to tweak, there's a good chance that you don't know what it is to listen for to notice a difference.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
or maybe i just have really nice onboard sound. Im guessing that is the case because most everybody that talks about onboard has said that audio just downright sounds bad. and mine doesn't sound bad at all. DFI pays attention to detail i guess.
 

·
OCN
Joined
·
1,540 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
Im using a nice set of speakers and a nice pair of headphones, and the difference is not that much, it is a tiny tiny bit, but nothing worth 100 dollars for a fatal1ty card.
You paid for for the that fatal1ty name, and that's pretty much it.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
nah, not really, I got it for 100 dollars which is the same price as the titanium card. You have to remember this card is still the X-Fi Titanium series card, just with fatal1ty's name on it. So there should still be a major boost in performance, which I have not noticed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,803 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrasherht View Post
or maybe i just have really nice onboard sound. Im guessing that is the case because most everybody that talks about onboard has said that audio just downright sounds bad. and mine doesn't sound bad at all. DFI pays attention to detail i guess.
your not an audiophil that's why
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:


Originally Posted by WTHbot
View Post

Major waste of money. 5 Mediocre drivers = **** headphone.

Bad Mic = **** Headset.

How about you give a better reason why something sucks instead of just saying it sucks. Explanations go a long ways.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im taking back the sound card tomorrow anyway, I only bought it because everybody was raving about how amazing a sound card is compared to onboard. I bought the best sound card offered from creative, and it didn't change anything except features. IMO not worth the money, I can put that money into other things.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

Im taking back the sound card tomorrow anyway, I only bought it because everybody was raving about how amazing a sound card is compared to onboard. I bought the best sound card offered from creative, and it didn't change anything except features. IMO not worth the money, I can put that money into other things.

Again, it didn't change anything because of the low grade audio equipment you're plugging in to it. The quality of the speakers/headphones are much, much more important than the quality of the sound card.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,544 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

How about you give a better reason why something sucks instead of just saying it sucks. Explanations go a long ways.

he did say his reasons...

i love razer products, but when they have their own drivers... they dont tend to work.... ive had 6 razer mice and ive never used their drivers...

but i believe his reasons that he wrote were that it has a bad mic, and mediocre drivers...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,401 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

How about you give a better reason why something sucks instead of just saying it sucks. Explanations go a long ways.

Umm I've used it.

A while back my friend let me borrow his, no way I was gonna spend $100+ on a stupid headset but I thought I'd give it a try.

I hooked it up and thought the LED's were cool, got on skype and everyone freaked out. The sound from the mic was so sensitive that it picked up every sound. They heard my ceiling fan, my toe tapping, my ball scratching, and everything else. Along with that they weren't fun to listen to. My current RX700's are miles better as far as sound quality and even better as far as coloured sound.

If you want to buy Razor they do have one good pair of heasdphones and thats These. they have the same exact drivers as the Sennheiser HD 555's and their mic isn't terrible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
12,534 Posts
He's referring to the speakers as drivers. "5.1" or "surround sound" headphones are a gimmick. That's why he's not recommending them.
 

·
VROOM VROOM
Joined
·
6,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have never had driver issues with razer, I have a mamba, and a lycosa.

My speakers aren't low grade, they aren't exactly the greatest, but they are still decent speakers.

It's kinda like watching TV, if you are have an SD TV, you won't see the full res of a bluray player, BUT the movies will still look better, because you are providing a much better picture to the TV. You have to have a Full HD TV to see the full res, but it is still going to look better on the SD tv compared to the SD TV with a normal DVD player.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,401 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ljason8eg
View Post

He's referring to the speakers as drivers. "5.1" or "surround sound" headphones are a gimmick. That's why he's not recommending them.

It's not a gimmick per say, it's more like it works but not well enough to buy it over a good pair of stereo headphones.

Surround sound headphones = 5-7 **** drivers

Audiophile Grade Stereo Headphones = 2 excellent quality drivers.

And yeah Drivers are the speakers in the cups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,401 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by thrasherht
View Post

I have never had driver issues with razer, I have a mamba, and a lycosa.

My speakers aren't low grade, they aren't exactly the greatest, but they are still decent speakers.

It's kinda like watching TV, if you are have an SD TV, you won't see the full res of a bluray player, BUT the movies will still look better, because you are providing a much better picture to the TV. You have to have a Full HD TV to see the full res, but it is still going to look better on the SD tv compared to the SD TV with a normal DVD player.

No it wont, resolution will be the same eitherway.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top