Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the deal:

I want 2gb of memory, but I can't really afford it right now, I have no income, and I don't feel like asking my dad to lend me more money. I also want to get this rig built asap, because both my laptop and my old Dell are dying.

Would it be practical to buy http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231024 now? And then get another when I have the money?

Will I get a decent overclock with one stick? Will there be a decrease in performance with one stick of 1gb as opposed to just buying 2x512 now?(for 50 dollars more)

Thanks
Amped
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by amped

Bump-diddly-ump.

You won't be running dual channel until you buy the second stick, but it's a good plan if you ask me. In the end, you'll have exactly what you want without wasting money along the way. You have my thumbsup!
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: amped

·
Registered
Joined
·
340 Posts
Well, whats the maximum amount of memory your going to have eventually?

4x 512mb = 2gb
2x 1gb = 2gb

Its always best to have more sticks. If your aiming at only have 2Gb for a while, go for the 4x 512. If you want to upgrade later to maybe 4Gb (especially when 64-bit OS becomes a standard, it deals with twice the data, so effectively 2Gb in 32-bit is 1gb in 64-bit), then go for the 1gb sticks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by corned_beef

Well, whats the maximum amount of memory your going to have eventually?

4x 512mb = 2gb
2x 1gb = 2gb

Its always best to have more sticks. If your aiming at only have 2Gb for a while, go for the 4x 512. If you want to upgrade later to maybe 4Gb (especially when 64-bit OS becomes a standard, it deals with twice the data, so effectively 2Gb in 32-bit is 1gb in 64-bit), then go for the 1gb sticks.


The point is that I don't have the money for 2x512 right now, and the 1 gb stick is cheaper. Also, it isn't always best to have more sticks. That's a question that is asked many times on this board, and it's mostly just a matter of opinion, because no one can answer it with fact.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,732 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by corned_beef

Well, whats the maximum amount of memory your going to have eventually?

4x 512mb = 2gb
2x 1gb = 2gb

Its always best to have more sticks. If your aiming at only have 2Gb for a while, go for the 4x 512. If you want to upgrade later to maybe 4Gb (especially when 64-bit OS becomes a standard, it deals with twice the data, so effectively 2Gb in 32-bit is 1gb in 64-bit), then go for the 1gb sticks.

I disagree with the comment "it's always best to have more sticks." That facade came from the fact that there are better 512 sticks than 1 gig sticks, but that gap has closed to the point that I think 1 gig sticks have the edge. Running 4 Dimms is harder on the memory controller and you also lose 1T Command rate. I haven't been impressed with the 4 stick OC's I've seen, but I've only seen a few.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:


Originally Posted by sccr64472

I disagree with the comment "it's always best to have more sticks." That facade came from the fact that there are better 512 sticks than 1 gig sticks, but that gap has closed to the point that I think 1 gig sticks have the edge. Running 4 Dimms is harder on the memory controller and you also lose 1T Command rate. I haven't been impressed with the 4 stick OC's I've seen, but I've only seen a few.

Heh boys, let's not turn this thread into another one of those. Thanks both of you for your opinions. Can anyone else reassure me on this, so I feel more..errr...reassured?

Also, in Layman's terms, what does Dual Channel do, and how much does it behoove me?

Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by amped

The point is that I don't have the money for 2x512 right now, and the 1 gb stick is cheaper. Also, it isn't always best to have more sticks. That's a question that is asked many times on this board, and it's mostly just a matter of opinion, because no one can answer it with fact.

what are you going to be using your pc for? there are different types of RAM for different uses. and do you HAVE to use ddr500? you can get this corsair xms ddr400 for only $100.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by iNFiNItE

what are you going to be using your pc for? there are different types of RAM for different uses. and do you HAVE to use ddr500? you can get this corsair xms ddr400 for only $100.

Yes, I'd like the ddr500, and also, Corsair doesn't work well with my motherboard.

Timsvpr: I know what Google is, thanks. I was asking for user opinions on how much it benefits me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone else? Can I get confirmation that this would, in fact, work, and that the lack of dual channel won't slow me down so drastically that I'll be in pain?
 

·
15 Year Club
Joined
·
2,322 Posts
That's what I just did with my build I ordered. I don't think dual channel is the incredible advancement people say it is... Either way I did that. I'd say go for it.

And that one stick can run 1T at 250MHz for me, don't know about it in dual channel.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top