Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week i received a call informing me that some parts i had received were for a server belonging to one of my clients. This particular server was a full tower case with multiple fans in it. Most notably the large Delta fan in the back that drove everyone insane with it's ridiculous noise levels.

So i went and picked up the machine and swapped the fans out for SilenX fans along with a HDD mirror replacement (dynamic disks, what a pain.) After i had finished i had a bunch of remaining parts that were either not necessary or were now classified as pulls. Thing is, nobody would ever want that fan. It's too loud. In fact, the TV in my living room can't overpower the noise from this thing.

I thought to myself, this is an awesome fan. And my case at the time had only 2 working fans in it. Neither of them being exhaust or intake fans. Ever since i messed up my fan controller setup from way back i hadn't had the proprietary connectors it used to fix it and i had soldered all my fans onto those connectors since it was 3pin->proprietary instead of molex->proprietary. So i decided to pop it onto my CPU heatsink.

So you know i am using a Xigmatec Rifle cooler. The thing is pretty damn good, especially for the money. But on the small side, it really shows with this fan on it now.

After placing it in my case i remembered why they got rid of it. The fan is a monster. A real monster. I looked up the specs online and it was on the order of 250CFM and i think 60DBA. It's horrific (although i must say the air went through my heatsink like a tornado through an open field.)

Right about that time i tried every means of software fan control and found none of them to work properly with my motherboard/BIOS. I remembered that old fan controller, still nestled in my case but inactive. I decided to take a look and see if i could solder it back to life.

After reading the information written on the PCB i found the text "+5 GRND +12" over the power connector. The word GRND covered two pins. I thought that sounded awfully familiar and i looked over at my PSU cabling and noticed that molex and floppy connectors use "Red Black Black Yellow." Because my father is an electrical engineer i know that reds are +5v, blacks are ground, and yellows are +12v. I also noticed that a floppy connector had pretty close spacing to what i was looking at on this board.

So i decided to forcibly remove the proprietary connector's plastic receiver. I just took my pliers and pulled the thing off. It was held on by pressure from the pins alone and came off fairly easily. I then forced the floppy drive connector (the one and only connector like this in my case) onto the pins at the right angle. I then turned the PC on and bingo, the controller was powered again, without any need to buy connectors from Scythe. (Pretty pissed Scythe didn't use standard connectors.)

I then did the same to the fan ports, took a bit of playing around but i got this 4 pin monster fan to fit on the 3 pin connectors and turned the PC on. Nothing, at all. No response from the sensors on the fan controller either. I played with it a bit, noting there was no such wiring guide on the fan connectors. After a bit of trial and error, magic. It worked one of those boots.

I played with it a bit and the fan controller reads 4,000RPM, and the fan can go as low as 1500 or so. Whisper quiet. The CFM still is noticeably higher then the stock Xigmatec fan even at that noise level. Not only that but if i ever need it i can peg the fan and get some extreme airflow.
LL
LL
LL
LL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Nice.

If times get tough you could strap some Dryer hose to it and use it as a Shop Vac !

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Em1nenceFr0nt View Post
Nice.

If times get tough you could strap some Dryer hose to it and use it as a Shop Vac !
Considering bolting it to the floor just in case.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I have this same fan on a Water cool H50 it really drop my temp but i also use a Zalman Fan Control with it this fan really move air

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Wait.... you're using SilenX fans in a server!?!?!??

I would have advise you not too due to their track record of fan failures.....

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Wait.... you're using SilenX fans in a server!?!?!??

I would have advise you not too due to their track record of fan failures.....
Big dot dot dot here. My boss ordered these things and i only ever used one or two in desktops i've built. Nothing where it matters. Thank god i didn't order that one myself. If i try to tell the guy they are unreliable it won't get anywhere. Annoying situation.

·
Premium Member
4,403 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

Big dot dot dot here. My boss ordered these things and i only ever used one or two in desktops i've built. Nothing where it matters. Thank god i didn't order that one myself. If i try to tell the guy they are unreliable it won't get anywhere. Annoying situation.

San Ace and Delta's are used in servers for a reason. They outlast other brands with their quality and durability. All the better reason to use them to protect some of the most expensive computer components.

A better solution for your server if they don't like the noise would have been to purchase a quality fan controller to tone down that wonderful fan...but hey...you got a nice free fan.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
So what's the CPU temp at 1500RPM compared to 4000RPM?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht
View Post

SilenX fans aren't industrial rated fans. If they were, their dB rating would actually make sense.

Make sure to enable RPM fan warning then....

Also, make sure there is insurance on the servers in case the fan blades break off and damage the motherboard.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowclock View Post
San Ace and Delta's are used in servers for a reason. They outlast other brands with their quality and durability. All the better reason to use them to protect some of the most expensive computer components.

A better solution for your server if they don't like the noise would have been to purchase a quality fan controller to tone down that wonderful fan...but hey...you got a nice free fan.
I'm not complaining, that's for sure.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy View Post
So what's the CPU temp at 1500RPM compared to 4000RPM?
I'll do tests after work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
SilenX fans aren't industrial rated fans. If they were, their dB rating would actually make sense.

Make sure to enable RPM fan warning then....

Also, make sure there is insurance on the servers in case the fan blades break off and damage the motherboard.
This is a very small server for a small client. Although i hate to say it i can't just go fix it. My boss has too much pride to admit his mistake and let me schedule to go do something about it, let alone buy replacements.

No insurance on this one. It's a weak little server, Intel desktop board and low end Pentium class Intel processor. HDDs are the best things in there. Dual 500GB WD Black.

So long as the data is safe i'll sleep soundly at night. And i would say that the HDDs could handle getting hit by a fan blade or the like.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
I scored a pair of brand new Deltas a while back as well, though mine were only 153CFM and 51db. I love them, have them as a push pull on my Megahalem. Best damn fans Ive ever seen.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by NameUnknown View Post
I scored a pair of brand new Deltas a while back as well, though mine were only 153CFM and 51db. I love them, have them as a push pull on my Megahalem. Best damn fans Ive ever seen.
Push-pull Deltas... That's a scarey thought. Have they ripped your heatsink from it's bracket yet?

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by {uZa}DOA View Post
No, but the CPU is scared as hell he'll piss one of them Deltas off and get shanked I bet.. lolz
Gonna get him some lead pins and take him down by the docks.

·
Registered
123 Posts
That's a pretty sweet mod. I would install that fan, and run it on max, just to give me another excuse to selectively ignore my wife when I'm gaming. Lol: "What honey? I'm sorry I can't hear you because my computer sounds like a leaf blower!"

Yeah, Silenx fans are sketchy. See this rant by a reviewer who claims a Silenx sales dude was creating multiple forum accounts to chat up his products:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/articl...e3.html#silenx

I think most fan specs are hard for reviewers to reproduce, but Silenx has seemed to build a rep based on their exaggerated claims. I see those fans all the time in Fry's and Microcenter...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts