Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

After the OS-fiasco, I started overclocking my computer. Since I couldn't bump up the bus speed to overclock for some reason, I had to change the multiplier. The thing would just say "Overclock failed!". Does anyone else have this problem? Also, which bios on the DFI website would be best for the Lanparty DK 790FXB-M3H5?

Back to the main issue, I changed the multiplier to 18.5 and stress tested for about 9 and 1/2 hours. After that was done, I noticed that the first core did less work than the others.

Core 0 did 27 less tests than core 3. Is this a problem? Should I bump up vcore a smidgen?

·
Premium Member
18,219 Posts
Nothing to worry about really sence most the of windows services run on core 0 so that could be why it did less the pc could be defraging or somthing in the background.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf
View Post

Nothing to worry about really sence most the of windows services run on core 0 so that could be why it did less the pc could be defraging or somthing in the background.

Oh, that makes sense. Thanks, man.

Anyone else have any suggestions for the other problems?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
My 1st core runs less too. You can alter that setting in BIOS under ACC/Per Core. Select -1% for your first core, lowered from -2% and see if that runs the 1st core at the same level, if not adjust to find the same level. If it just won't equal out then it's just suppose to run at that lower level.

At 18.5 multi you'll need more volts, 1.45-1.5v.

Why do you have your 955 marked X2?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton View Post
My 1st core runs less too. You can alter that setting in BIOS under ACC/Per Core. Select -1% for your first core, lowered from -2% and see if that runs the 1st core at the same level, if not adjust to find the same level. If it just won't equal out then it's just suppose to run at that lower level.

At 18.5 multi you'll need more volts, 1.45-1.5v.

Why do you have your 955 marked X2?
It was a mistype, I hit 2 instead of 4.

Could I get away with my vcore at 1.425? I really don't want my temps to go up.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
ya ur highest load temp is 65 in that screenshot. thats already above recommended. i'd just keep priming until i found the lowest vcore possible at that speed.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yes, that's a little warm. You need some better air flow, clean your intakes and maybe get some better (at least 78cfm 120mm) fans or a fan controller so you can turn them up to 100% when testing and gaming.
1.42v isn't bad but your temps are. I keep mine @1.41v but my case keeps my CPU @48-49c under load, never in the 50s. 2X120mm front intakes Aerocools 89cfm, 1 120mm rear exhaust Areocool, 1 120mm side door intake CM R4 69cfm, all on a fan controller.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton View Post
Yes, that's a little warm. You need some better air flow, clean your intakes and maybe get some better (at least 78cfm 120mm) fans or a fan controller so you can turn them up to 100% when testing and gaming.
1.42v isn't bad but your temps are. I keep mine @1.41v but my case keeps my CPU @48-49c under load, never in the 50s. 2X120mm front intakes Aerocools 89cfm, 1 120mm rear exhaust Areocool, 1 120mm side door intake CM R4 69cfm, all on a fan controller.
I cleaned everything before putting the new stuff into my computer. I set the fans to max on the stock Antec TriCools. There's not much I can do in terms of getting new fans because I spent my money on buying my motherboard, ram, processor, and hard drive.

To be honest, I'm not so concerned with the temperatures. It's not like I run stress tests twenty four hours a day. My normal computer usage is less intense than what Prime95 does to it. Also, the Arctic Silver 5 hasn't broken in yet. I'm not sure if that's a cause of high temps, but whatever.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You can also try some better TIM. I used OCZ Freeze but these are even better.

Tuniq TX-3
Shin Etsu
I C diamond 7

You can do as I do and have 2 OC settings in BIOS and AMD Overdrive. (AMD OD so I don't have to go into BIOS every time I want to game)
1. for gaming, 3.6 @1.41v
2. for 24/7, 3.3 @1.36v

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by letsgetiton
View Post

You can also try some better TIM. I used OCZ Freeze but these are even better.

Tuniq TX-3
Shin Etsu
I C diamond 7

You can do as I do and have 2 OC settings in BIOS and AMD Overdrive. (AMD OD so I don't have to go into BIOS every time I was to game)
1. for gaming, 3.6 @1.41v
2. for 24/7, 3.3 @1.36v

I'll be sure to look into that. Thanks, bro.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doublepost.

I took off my heatsink and found out that the dot of AS5 I set on the CPU was too small and it didn't spread everywhere because the bottom of the Hyper 212 isn't flat. I cleaned off the heatsink and CPU and spread the AS5 on my CPU with a card so it would cover the IHS. Now the temps went down like 10 C.

I found my problem.

I'm pretty sure that I put too much paste on there. Is there a picture you guys have that shows the ideal amount that should be on there?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts