Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If given the choice between two individual drives, or one with double the capacity (and generally cheaper per GB), the latter sounds like the clear winner. However, is there a way to have a single drive shared between two computers, where the operating systems for each computer are placed on separate partitions? If so, how would it be done, would the implementation be more cost effective, and how would performance be affected?

The idea in my case, if possible, is to have a dual partition SSD serving both motherboards, and then an additional hard drive connected normally to one of those mobos

·
Dark and Dropped SUV
4,026 Posts
Personally that sounds like a terrible idea to me.
I really don't know how you would even hook the two PC's up to one SSD. And if that drive fails you technically just lost two PC's. I really don't know that it would even be able to access it simultaneously.

Curious to see what the HDD pros have to say.

·
Registered
779 Posts
maybe you could set it up as a NAS and boot from there, once it's up and running...however the drive only has one MBR and I don't know if that can be shared

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
AFAIK this would have to be done with a SAN or a Hypervisor.

There's nothing to my knowledge that can split the physical connection of one storage device.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi @hiigaran!

You can access the data on a drive from multiple machines by setting up a NAS. Essentially you can build your own NAS, or to get one. Building a NAS on your own can be a bit cheaper in some cases but you don't get support for it and it could be harder to set up and manage later on. Self-built NASs have the advantage of upgrade-ability, though.

Another thing that I saw people doing is using an external drive with a router or anything else that can connect it to the network - you would essentially get a NAS and should work just fine. By doing so you should get the same end result - file sharing across the network. I'd pick the option that makes more sense in terms of performance and budget (just keep in mind that the performance in this case would depend on the router's abilities).

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
smile.gif

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
I think everyone recommending a NAS missed that he wants to use it as a boot drive for both PC
tongue.gif
. I don't think running windows over the network is a good idea if you got it working.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts