Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a QNAP NAS with 5 Samsung 2TB HDDs in a RAID 5 array, but one of the HDDs has failed. Samsung no longer make or sell those drives so is it fine to replace it with a drive that's from a different brand like a WD Red? Does the replacement need to have the same disk speed? Can I install a 3TB drive instead?

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
And if you had a ton of time on your hands, you could repeat the process of until all the drives are replaced with larger ones, then you could increase the array size.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

And if you had a ton of time on your hands, you could repeat the process of until all the drives are replaced with larger ones, then you could increase the array size.
Replacing them one at a time? After I've replaced the final disk and it's rebuilt the array, is it a simple case of extending the RAID 5 array or is there more to it?

Thanks.
smile.gif

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,225 Posts
Just replace it with another 2TB drive with the same cache and speed, You should be fine. Literally you just put a new drive in and it should rebuild. Otherwise, the you can tell the RAID controller to rebuild itself.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TekWarfare View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Replacing them one at a time? After I've replaced the final disk and it's rebuilt the array, is it a simple case of extending the RAID 5 array or is there more to it?

Thanks.
smile.gif
Yep, exactly you'd just be extending the the array after adding all the drives.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts