Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked everywhere for an answer (yes including the search bar) for my problem, or possibly, oddity.

Basically on my sig rig, I'm getting one long beep on cold boot after I OC'd my i7 920. On stock it'll give me one short beep and pass the POST real quick. Now, POST slows a bit after giving one long beep but passes in the end. I don't get any POST error codes on the small LED display and there's nothing out of the ordinary on my monitor.

I tested everything possible on my BIOS to find out what is causing this (including raising and lowering vcore and defaulting several other voltages). All my settings are within normal limits. My GPU isn't overclocked. In the end I determined it was my 168 BCLK because it gives me a nice short beep at 165-167, and 169-172. Even after this long beep, it boots to Windows 7 just fine.

I'm using the EVGA E758-A1 X58 motherboard and I guess the BIOS is "Phoenix - AwardBIOS" according to POST.

My OC is stable with my settings on Prime95 and memtest. I tested out each individual RAM stick and they all work fine. It really is just the 168 BCLK.

So basically I just want to know what that one long beep indicates in my particular scenario. If you guys don't mind telling me what it actually is, I would appreciate it and would be able to take the necessary steps to troubleshoot the problem.

-

Update 1: I did check for POST error codes on the motherboard LED display, and came up with nothing. I'm testing for stability on 169 BCLK at the moment, but I'm still curious as to what that long beep is.

Update 2: It DOES boot to Windows after the long beep and POST. I reverted back to default clocks and it went right back to short beeps. It doesn't do long beeps full time, just at that particular setting.

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
One long beep indicates something not getting power...

Check all connections, reseat the cpu, gpu & ram.

If it only does it at one particular setting, well its pretty simple. The bios doesnt agree with that setting for whatever reason... Try just a little lower or a little higher...

·
Premium Member
6,774 Posts
PS:
I know on my evga 750i when it went bad it was during a mem test. It powered off, then restarted with a long beep... Cleared cmos, pulled battery and finally got it to boot but would always lock up..

If you just get a long beep and no error code I would wonder if the board isnt bad... Maybe a static charge?

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ 10acjed
Thanks for the feedback, I have reseated the GPU and RAM prior to my post but haven't tried the CPU so I got a little bit of thought running. All connections are seated properly.

And yes, it only happens at that setting so at the moment I'm trying to push a just a tad bit little higher and maybe get some better results. Here's to another 12+ hours of stability testing! lol

Edit: But it DOES boot even after the long beep. That's part of why I don't understand this problem.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts