Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the corsair h100i and on the back plate the pins that push threw the back of the motherboard has a wash behind the pins that push threw I had all ready installed the corsair h100i when I noticed a wash on the floor I then inspected every thing in my computer and noticed a wash from the back plate of the corsair h100i was missing should I try to put the wash where it belongs or just leave it alone ?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
You definitely want all four installed. That way you have an even distribution of pressure and thus, optimal cooling.

4770k's get really hot if you dont delid them, or don't have adequate cooing, (you do), but in order to properly utilize the cooling ability of your H100i, you are definitely going to want to remount with that screw.

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jameyscott View Post

You definitely want all four installed. That way you have an even distribution of pressure and thus, optimal cooling.

4770k's get really hot if you dont delid them, or don't have adequate cooing, (you do), but in order to properly utilize the cooling ability of your H100i, you are definitely going to want to remount with that screw.
I will have to do it tomorrow I need to buy thermal paste . this is going to sound stupid but I read that mayonnaise makes a good thermal paste and so does tooth paste I'm not going to use those but what do you think about that ?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
I've read that article before, I would never run mayonnaise on my expensive components.
tongue.gif

If you need some suggestions as far as TIM choices, let me know and I'll try to help you out.

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

I've read that article before, I would never run mayonnaise on my expensive components.
tongue.gif

If you need some suggestions as far as TIM choices, let me know and I'll try to help you out.
at my local tiger direct the only thermal paste options they have are ultra and cooler master . which one of those should I get ? I was reading your build log the ze cube what type of cooling is that ? are all those fans you have in your case ?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
It's a custom water cooling loop. I've only got six fans currently.

TIMs aren't all that different, but some will offer a few C less and to me are worth getting. Something like Gelid Extreme is what I would suggest using. IC Diamond is also a good choice.

what brand is that ultra?

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

tongue.gif

I just looked at the photos of your ze cube build that is awsome
Quote:

It's a custom water cooling loop. I've only got six fans currently.

TIMs aren't all that different, but some will offer a few C less and to me are worth getting. Something like Gelid Extreme is what I would suggest using. IC Diamond is also a good choice.

what brand is that ultra?
ultra is the tiger direct store brand it comes in a nail polish type bottle . I just seen the pictures of the ze cube that is a awesome looking build you have x2 radiators . how high can you overclock that thing ?

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Either put all the washers there or non of them. The washers space the backplate out of direct contact with the motherboard. I wouldn't worry about getting new thermal paste, you should be able to just slap the same block back on as long as you don't touch the thermal paste on the block/CPU. It doesn't just suddenly go bad from dismounting, it's ceramic paste which usually doesn't set very quickly. Yes mayonnaise and toothpaste work great as thermal pastes on initial installation, but they don't last long. The toothpaste hardens, and will actually become an insulator decreasing thermal transfer. Mayonnaise will go bad, smell like a septic tank, and harden decreasing it's performance. Don't do it, you'll regret it.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, like I said all the washers or non of them, or else you'll get uneven pressure distribution which will cause your waterblock not to make flush contact with the CPU's internal heat spreader or IHS.

Again, so long as you don't run your fingers or something across the IHS/waterblock I wouldn't worry about putting new thermal paste on if you just mounted it within the week. If the mount is several months old some ceramic thermal pastes will set and lose some of their fluidity.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orndorf77 View Post

Quote:

I will have to do it tomorrow I need to buy thermal paste . this is going to sound stupid but I read that mayonnaise makes a good thermal paste and so does tooth paste I'm not going to use those but what do you think about that ?
hahahno. dont do it.

get some real thermal paste. actual thermal paste manufacturers carry the liability on their product for specific use to an extent.

Mayonnaise and toothpaste makers aren't going to care if their product broke your computer.

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Either put all the washers there or non of them. The washers space the backplate out of direct contact with the motherboard. I wouldn't worry about getting new thermal paste, you should be able to just slap the same block back on as long as you don't touch the thermal paste on the block/CPU. It doesn't just suddenly go bad from dismounting, it's ceramic paste which usually doesn't set very quickly. Yes mayonnaise and toothpaste work great as thermal pastes on initial installation, but they don't last long. The toothpaste hardens, and will actually become an insulator decreasing thermal transfer. Mayonnaise will go bad, smell like a septic tank, and harden decreasing it's performance. Don't do it, you'll regret it.
biggrin.gif

Anyways, like I said all the washers or non of them, or else you'll get uneven pressure distribution which will cause your waterblock not to make flush contact with the CPU's internal heat spreader or IHS.

Again, so long as you don't run your fingers or something across the IHS/waterblock I wouldn't worry about putting new thermal paste on if you just mounted it within the week. If the mount is several months old some ceramic thermal pastes will set and lose some of their fluidity.
corsair pre applies ceramic thermal paste aint that the good stuff ?

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinoxide View Post

hahahno. dont do it.

get some real thermal paste. actual thermal paste manufacturers carry the liability on their product for specific use to an extent.

Mayonnaise and toothpaste makers aren't going to care if their product broke your computer.
lol that's funny I'm not going to use mayo or tooth paste I was just asking what people thought about it

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
There are better thermal pastes out there, but at the absolute most you'll see a 5c improvement.

as far as my PC goes. 4.9Ghz daily overclock on the 3930k, and was running 1358mhz on my GPUs, but that doesn't work for all games and also depends on my ambient temperature as my GPUs love being cold and over clock much better when it is colder

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
If I remember correctly it's Shin Etsu. I can't remember the specific TIM from Shin Etsu but regardless Shin Etsu makes good stuff.

Again, it's not going to set/cure in a matter of days, you should be fine to plug and play with the preapplied stuff as long as you don't smear it, get a bunch of crap on it, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
CoolLaboratory pastes are 2 of a handful of liquid metal pastes ( they even look like murcury which is cool ), and they can net MUCH better temperature drops than your average 3-5C drops.

But pastes like these I would consider a permanent solution because as they age, they become more like a solder than a liquid metal. The seal can be broken, but cleaning it off is next to impossible without sanding it off.

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:

CoolLaboratory pastes are 2 of a handful of liquid metal pastes ( they even look like murcury which is cool ), and they can net MUCH better temperature drops than your average 3-5C drops.

But pastes like these I would consider a permanent solution because as they age, they become more like a solder than a liquid metal. The seal can be broken, but cleaning it off is next to impossible without sanding it off.
Gallium based liquid metal TIMS have issues with dividing into different layers if I remember correctly, and currently the only liquid metal TIM without gallium is Indigo Extreme which is a pretty penny and is more or less a permanent mount.

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

There are better thermal pastes out there, but at the absolute most you'll see a 5c improvement.

as far as my PC goes. 4.9Ghz daily overclock on the 3930k, and was running 1358mhz on my GPUs, but that doesn't work for all games and also depends on my ambient temperature as my GPUs love being cold and over clock much better when it is colder
wow my temps can actually go down 5c just from using a good thermal paste ? I could order gelid gc extreme from newegg.com for $13 but it will take a few days to get it or I can just settle for the cooler master thermal paste tiger direct has and get it tomorrow . what do you think I should do ?

·
Premium Member
4,018 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by orndorf77 View Post

wow my temps can actually go down 5c just from using a good thermal paste ? I could order gelid gc extreme from newegg.com for $13 but it will take a few days to get it or I can just settle for the cooler master thermal paste tiger direct has and get it tomorrow . what do you think I should do ?
5c is unlikely, usually people see a 2c-4c drop, it all depends on what kind of dTs you're running between the ihs & coldplate, which in liquid cooling will be a LOT lower than air cooling.

I'd say you could see a 1c-2.5c drop, but that's just speculation.

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

I read some reviews on the coollaboratory liquid pro its supposed to be the best thermal paste you can get but I also read that it is difficult to apply like if you don't do it rite you can mess up your cpu and if you get any on your motherboard it will stain it

·
Banned
2,526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

5c is unlikely, usually people see a 2c-4c drop, it all depends on what kind of dTs you're running between the ihs & coldplate, which in liquid cooling will be a LOT lower than air cooling.

I'd say you could see a 1c-2.5c drop, but that's just speculation.
but what thermal paste will I have to use to get that drop in my temps ? I don't want to use a thermal paste that will make my cooler permanent I mite want to change my motherboard one day

1 - 20 of 26 Posts