Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone had a solution for this, I live in a place where my computers are in pretty public places, and my friends think it is funny to crack my passwords. Quite frankly I a sick and tired of it... Does anyone have a way that I can have a One time password generated on my Phone (Android) and use it to login to my computers?

Thanks.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Why not just make a super long password more than 15 characters both numbers, letters and symbols? In no way can they crack it.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
get a biometrics scanner, then they can't hack it.

Sorry i don't know of a onetime password application. I know what you are talking about, but haven't heard of it with windows.

You could also get something to make it so you need a key to turn on your computer.

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbudden;12047562
Why not just make a super long password more than 15 characters both numbers, letters and symbols? In no way can they crack it.
My thoughts exactly. You must be using some pretty weak, common passphrases if someone can just guess your password.

I don't think there are any such programs--at least, not regular stuff available to non-corporate entities, nothing that would be economical to buy and use.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am using a 19 character password with numbers and letters, I really don't know how they get into my computer but they do...

·
Premium Member
8,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Pi;12047676
I am using a 19 character password with numbers and letters, I really don't know how they get into my computer but they do...
Use symbols too--and nothing associated with your name, birthday, etc.

Have you made sure that the generic Administrator account is password-protected? That's a very common thing people forget about, and an easy way to gain access to a computer. Also, make sure that the guest account is completely turned off, and make sure your account is the only active user account on the machine.

How do you know they are getting into your computer? They could also be doing something like booting from a USB drive--like linux live (or whatever it's called).

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would suggest to get a fingerprint reader so you can use yours as a password.

I think it´s cheaper than biometric.

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
If they are using a LiveCD, not much you can do unless you have Windows 7 Ultimate and can encrypt the drive.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Pi;12047676
They are probably using a password reset utility that they boot of CD/USB.

Change bios Boot order to boot from HD first, add BIOS password, then rivet or lock your case so they cant do a BIOS reset.

EDIT: Also make sure to disable the F12 boot order menu (all motherboards call it something else)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Even if they use a live CD with rainbow tables, you can be safe if you use both cases, numbers, and symbols in a long password. Don't use words or anything; I like coming up with a favorite quote, getting the first letters and sprinking in numbers, symbols, and case changes. It's easy to remember but impossible to guess.

·
Premium Member
4,489 Posts
If you're not using the computer while they're over, take the power plug off of the PSU. Or unplug the PSU from the motherboard and use a little padlock on the side of the case (most cases have a little hole for one) or the chassis intrusion alarm if your mobo/case has one.

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
1. Buy a cheap replacement keyboard
2. Apply a thin layer of super glue to the surface of some of the main keys. (it will stay wet for hours unless you apply pressure.
3. Find out which one of your "friends" has the keys to your cheap keyboard glued to his fingers.

• Rep+
Reactions: mbudden

·
notNOTmbudden
14,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope;12047901
2. Apply a thin layer of super glue to the surface of some of the main keys. (it will stay wet for hours unless you apply pressure.
3. Find out which one of your "friends" has the keys to your cheap keyboard glued to his fingers.
+rep 4tehlulz.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope;12047901
Even better, use ink.

·
VROOM VROOM
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73110;12047762
I would suggest to get a fingerprint reader so you can use yours as a password.

I think it´s cheaper than biometric.
a finger print reader is a biometric device.

I vote for the super glue idea.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts