Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
733hz
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, anyone know of any places I can get one way mirror acrylic, so that if i say have a switch for cold cathodes behind it, the mirror portion vanishes and shows the light on the other side?

Hard to explain, hopefully it makes enough sense

·
733hz
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, Im thinking of doing a complete rebuild, and i remember way back when in the forms there was a link to a place to buy some, cant find anything like it around the forums.

·
The Fabricat0r
5,934 Posts
You can but it's not cheap. The few places I know of that sell it usually costs around $100 for a 2'x4' sheet (like here). I was actually researching this myself a while back and I figured it would be much cheaper to make your own by using the mirror auto window tint. But I never experimented with it to know if it is a suitable replacement.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
yes there is....but i think it doesn't exist anymore

there is a spray or some sort of film thing to make the acrylic 1 way...but i've heard its very very very expensive

·
733hz
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well cost really isn't a big deal, but im more looking for the exact usage of having light from the one way side overtake the mirror side. IE computer turns on, acrylic becomes transparent and you see the color, etc.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodvenom
View Post

well cost really isn't a big deal, but im more looking for the exact usage of having light from the one way side overtake the mirror side. IE computer turns on, acrylic becomes transparent and you see the color, etc.

hmm that sounds rather....rather cool concept, but I don't think such a thing exists....I could be wrong....but yea, i don't think a material like you described exists

·
733hz
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn it, I was going off of that one post like 3 years ago, that material was capable of it. Really should buy **** when i see it especially when its unique

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bloodvenom
View Post

I mean, think of police one way glass =p they turn on the lights and its visible in the observation room!

thats cause the room is probably lights off ie completely dark on the other side?

idk, logically thats what i think, but I COULD be wrong

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
you should look into electric switching glass. there is a thin film within the glass. when the electricity is off, the thin film inside the glass is opaque. when the electricity is on, it in completely clear.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by da tick 07;11928163
you should look into electric switching glass. there is a thin film within the glass. when the electricity is off, the thin film inside the glass is opaque. when the electricity is on, it in completely clear.
might be talking about Sage Glass, I installed this in a college about a year ago it was pretty cool.. but expensive
smile.gif

http://www.sage-ec.com/

·
Registered
38 Posts
There's a shop in Germany that works with that stuff, 500x500mm costs roughly 28€ (5mm thick) or 20€ (3mm thick).

They used it on this project: http://www.stempel-hauser.de/page.php?43

Just scroll down a little, there's pictures of the case with lights on and lights off. That what you're looking for?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shinji2k;11922663
You can but it's not cheap. The few places I know of that sell it usually costs around $100 for a 2'x4' sheet (like here). I was actually researching this myself a while back and I figured it would be much cheaper to make your own by using the mirror auto window tint. But I never experimented with it to know if it is a suitable replacement.
I am 90% positive this is possible, and its 100x cheaper

I have applied auto tint before and it is easy once you lean the "right way to do it".
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiYLsBCfjXw[/ame]
Really just make sure the surface is clean and WET

Only one thing worries me, Plastic naturally gives off a small amount of gas. that's why you need special paint for plastic. Will the gas eventually cause bubbles? or will it be Encapsulated?

They have all kinds of tint, Limo[what you need], and colors, and even patterns.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts