Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently bought a PC-A05NB. I've decided that my days of eyeing large tower cases are over. It's time to go for a less intrusive and more clean looking case.

As of now I'm migrating everything from my Raven 02 to the A05NB. Then as time goes along I'll completely upgrade my rig and at that point watercool.

Here's pics of the rig in the raven.

v8HcGh.jpg

First thing I love about this case is the size. When I first took it out of the box I thought "Wow this case is small! There's no way my rig would fit in it!"

Here's the size comparison between the Raven02 and a stripped A05NB.

Sxp7Uh.jpg

That cable you see to the right of the picture is my first mod to this case. You'll see what I mean in a second.

This here is my PSU's power cable inlet. It's a IEC C20 inlet, for C19 cables. Most PSUs use the C14 inlet and C13 cable. As you know the A05NB came supplied with the internal C13 to C14 cable.

ksVZJh.jpg

oyIiDh.jpg

First thing's first, I got to do a fitment test on the cable and the psu to make sure I can place my front cover back on.

gcCqKh.jpg

hJzcHh.jpg

5qv1mh.jpg

I ordered a http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J17O18]C20 inlet from amazon[/URL] so I can replace the C14 inlet on the back of case after slicing off the C20 end of the cable I just bought.

31nE1LJGjUL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

OhLbOh.jpg

Looks like I wont have to do any cutting. It'll be a snug fit on the screw holes but I'm sure I'll make it look normal.

YAY! I get to keep this case and PSU! Time to move along to the other fun stuff! Cable management!

First I tried to flip the HDDs and mount them in the cage backwards. I knew getting a 120mmx25mm fan wouldnt work, but I decided to try my luck anyways. Using the stock Lian Li fans as a guide I tried to mount it on the outside of the case, but it was buldging out too much even when the front cover was on. Looks like reverse mounting the HDDs are out of the question, for now.

So I just went along and decided to mount them normally. I also installed my DVD-RW, Lamptron FC-2, and my multi-card reader. I even went along and routed the SATA cables. I believe that it all turned out quite nicely, so this set up stays!
biggrin.gif

A7TjXh.jpg

As of now I'm waiting for 4 Gentle Typhoon AP-15s to come into the mail and the C20 inlet from amazon. They should be here tomorrow when I come back from school. There's also a Lian Li CD drive bay cover on the way too but I wont see that till next week.

Here's pictures of the case now with everything I have for it so far. I'll remount my Megahalem with Shin-Etsu X23-7762 when the AP-15s come in. There's no fans at all yet. It won't be an issue though, since I just have to unscrew the cage and turn it a little to mount the fan.

I think it turned out great! I thought cable management would be a BIG ISSUE for me since my PSU is quite large. The left panel closes completely without issues and there's no bulge at all. I LOVE THIS CASE!

urtFPh.jpg

iW8UDh.jpg

Sorry that there isn't that much cutting going on. On my next major upgrade I plan on cutting the top for two AP-14 as intake/exhaust, then buying two more AP-14 for the front fan and rear fan. There will be a 240mm rad at the bottom which I'll use the 4 AP-15s I will receive in push/pull.

I'll post pictures of the finished product tomorrow when I get the last two remaining major parts.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The rest of this migration came in the mail today!

13roLh.jpg

Turns out the C20 inlet was a tad big for the preexisting hole for the C14 inlet.
Excuse my poor jigsaw job but here it is installed.

m91o8h.jpg

LLULoh.jpg

hrUHeh.jpg

So Peanuts4 asked me about pictures during my cable management process. The next few pictures will be just that.

Sata cables are 90 degrees on the HDD end, and I routed them to the opening below the HDD. I did the same thing for the DVD-RW, I routed it through a hole on top of the HDD Cage and out the first top slot out the side.

dQIZAh.jpg

Q4tFuh.jpg

Next was the 4pin Molex for my Lamptron FC-2. I was kinda annoyed that I only had to use that whole cable for only 1 4pin.

3ZPDyh.jpg

Applying Shin Etsu x23-7783D on my 920.

hOxdRh.jpg

Here's how I routed the fans at the rear and how my cable cluster looks so far.

0IKpah.jpg

Finished product!!!

KcFQNh.jpg

GAbhbh.jpg

GJ1RBh.jpg

vndr7h.jpg

IGFdgh.jpg

That's all for the migration folks! I'll be reusing this thread for when I upgrade my major components and watercool!

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm about to RMA two of my fans, since they started buzzing when I installed them on my Megahalems. I was going to do a push pull, but that rear fan is pretty close to the cooler so I decided to just do pull.

I might cut the top of my case soon. There's a huge pocket of heat being built up there from my GPU. So I might use the spare AP-15 as an intake/exhaust at the top.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I noticed you wanted to install your hard drives in reverse. My I suggest what I did inorder to achieve it. Nice thing is there is zero modding that needs to be done to the case.

Reversed HDD setup.

Also welcome to the club. I love seeing full tower guys switching over to small cases.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by animal0307
View Post

I noticed you wanted to install your hard drives in reverse. My I suggest what I did inorder to achieve it. Nice thing is there is zero modding that needs to be done to the case.

Reversed HDD setup.

Also welcome to the club. I love seeing full tower guys switching over to small cases.

animal0307, I tried the reverse mounting. I tried to mount the fan where you mounded your slim fan, lol it was worth a shot but it bulged the front panel too much.

I'm quite happy with the HDDs mounted the normal way since it helped alot in the cable management. Granted that it's not a 100% clean finish, but it's still pretty clean. Maybe when I watercool I'll figure out a way to get it a way to keep a 25mm fan

Quote:

Originally Posted by sexybastard
View Post

hahaha as someone who used to own a Meghalems let me tell you there is nothing wrong with your fans. It's that gap in the middle that causes a high pitched whine.

I bought a rubber fan silencer/spacer I'm about to place that inbetween the fan and the megahalem hopefully it helps.

Lol i'ts too thick for the clip. Oh well, I'll just keep it at a slower speed that whine doesnt bother me

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
You won't get a 25mm fan on the outside of the case. I trired with a Coolmaster Excalibur hoping it would suck air through the sides with the grills. All it did was make it extremely loud and gave really poor air flow. The nice about the Scythe Slim fans is they move a decent amount of air even at low speed and thats really all you need for hardrives.

But if you like you setup up and its working for you, then who am I to tell you its wrong.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by animal0307;15326191
You won't get a 25mm fan on the outside of the case. I trired with a Coolmaster Excalibur hoping it would suck air through the sides with the grills. All it did was make it extremely loud and gave really poor air flow. The nice about the Scythe Slim fans is they move a decent amount of air even at low speed and thats really all you need for hardrives.

But if you like you setup up and its working for you, then who am I to tell you its wrong.
Yeah it's fine for now. Just going to hold off on brainstorming for later.

So I'm getting a hold of my friend's dad who is a machinist, I'm going to try to get him to cut me out two 2x120mm rad grills out of anodized black aluminum. I'll use one for the two AP-15 I'll put up at the top and I'll save the other one for when I mount a rad at the bottom of the case. Hopefully it'll turn out to be a cheap request. $20 per grill is pretty pricey haha

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Nice job on the cut. It's nice having a grill to cover any imperfections and it looks like it came from the factory.

On my Radgrill I had to make the fan holes bigger to accomadate the fan screws since they are so fat. I bought a bunch of black fan screws off ebay and they fit fine.

For the four edge screws meant to hold on the grill on I used hex screws that I picked up from home depot. They don't really hold the grill to the case since the fan screws do that better but they look nice and really tie everything together. You would probably need to a nut for the screw to go into for a secure fit but I didn't bother. Here's a pic so you can see what I mean.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by sexybastard
View Post

Nice job on the cut. It's nice having a grill to cover any imperfections and it looks like it came from the factory.

On my Radgrill I had to make the fan holes bigger to accomadate the fan screws since they are so fat. I bought a bunch of black fan screws off ebay and they fit fine.

For the four edge screws meant to hold on the grill on I used hex screws that I picked up from home depot. They don't really hold the grill to the case since the fan screws do that better but they look nice and really tie everything together. You would probably need to a nut for the screw to go into for a secure fit but I didn't bother. Here's a pic so you can see what I mean.

Ah okay I wasnt sure if I was supposed to enlarge the holes on the grill or not. Sweet I'll do that tomorrow! I was thinking about doing complete socket head screws, but I'm not sure what size M screws to use for the fans. I came to the conclusion that I had to get a nut to secure it. unless there's actually an M screw that works with fans I can pick up at homedepot.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts