Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my old PC build that I never got around to purchasing, and since prices have fallen dramatically on the old parts, why not start a new thread? I plan on purchasing this set-up at the end of Freshman year, and will continue to update the rig keeping the price under $1,000 until then.

Parts I already have: --[[Monitors]]--[[Mouse/Keyboard]]--[[PSU (700W Corsair)~considering a new one though]]--
Things I will need: --[[Hard drive(s)]]--[[Thermal Compound]]--

Upgrades? Downgrades? Suggest away.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ar0RjBwbPCzxdGdvUjdvTVRSb2t3eW83NU9ucFZwU1E&w=100&h=768]The Build[/URL]

·
Registered
211 Posts
Your build list looks very good, I don't see anything i'd go out of my way to change unless you want to crossfire down the road and then you would want to go with a different mobo.

Thermal Compound you could always go with AS5, its not going to cost a whole lot and will give you good performance, if you have more room for this you could go with the Shin Etsu to get even better performance but at a higher cost.

Harddrive wise how big do you want to go? And are you considering an SSD and a HDD, you could get a small SSD for your OS and then have a HDD for storage, with your current spreadsheet you have enough room in your budget to accomplish this. The Spinpoint F3's and WD Caviar Blacks are very good performing harddrives that aren't going to break the bank.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah thanks for the Thermal suggestions. I'll look at both of them, but will most likely go with AS5 because I won't be pushing the CPU too much.

As for the Hard drives, I'll consider an SSD. I know I defiantly want more than 1 at this moment. Will update / post back with what I find.

·
Registered
451 Posts
like the guy above said, if you plan on XF in the future a different mobo...other than that, i would maybe look at gtx 470 or 570 just because of physx and CUDA...unless you're dead set on ati, which if you are then wait until the end of this month...i think they might have something new coming...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorofhavoc;11937701
like the guy above said, if you plan on XF in the future a different mobo...other than that, i would maybe look at gtx 470 or 570 just because of physx and CUDA...unless you're dead set on ati, which if you are then wait until the end of this month...i think they might have something new coming...
I am not loyal to ATi, but I do have until the end of Spring semester before I actually purchase anything so if they do bring something new I can snag it. I will look for a new MoBo perhaps for USB 3.0, but I do not plan on purchasing a second GPU in the near future.

magicmike, I added the Spinpoint 1TB HD, and am now looking at the SSD options. Any suggestions in that field?

·
Registered
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Trev;11937782
I am not loyal to ATi, but I do have until the end of Spring semester before I actually purchase anything so if they do bring something new I can snag it. I will look for a new MoBo perhaps for USB 3.0, but I do not plan on purchasing a second GPU in the near future.

magicmike, I added the Spinpoint 1TB HD, and am now looking at the SSD options. Any suggestions in that field?
well if you have until end of spring semester wait for it, lol...get the gpu last...in fact...wait to see the sandy bridge processors...they're apparently going to rock some serious socks....

If i were you i'd just buy HDD or SSD and a case right now...best option really...

·
Registered
544 Posts
im going to give you some combos that will blow you away !
Case+Psu combo216.98$ (-40$ MIR) preaty good for full tower air field with 5 fans and a 850 psu right ? btw the psu is actualy the best for its price , its rated 80+ but actualy its very close to gold rating acording to this Review efficiency is around 88-91% on all loads

Video Card + Memory combo 222.98$ (-35$ MIR !) thats right baby , hows 4 GB of 2000 Mhz ram for 8$ sounds ?
now we all know that ram timings are mostly overated but i know many ppl that have this particular ram at 1800 Mhz 8-8-8-29 stable , its rated for 9-9-9-30 @ 2000 Mhz . anyway this combo is a beast !

CPU + mobo combo 243.99$ (-15$ MIR) why pay for x6 when it will be easly matched by an x4 on 4Ghz in all games ? dont be fooled by the mobo , it will support crossife and ur killer ram at 1800 Mhz , ppl are gonna advise you to get 8xx GX mobo but ask urself are u realy gonna use sata 3 and usb 3 in near future ? if so then pop in another 30-40 bucks or so .

Water Cooler 79.99$ ( -15$ MIR) ...whats that ? a water cooler for 65 bux ? take ur baby chip to 4 Ghz with this thing and crush any game that dares to visit ur hard drive !

DVD\\RW 19.99$ free shipping other then that , cant go wrong with sony .

HDD 69.99$ not as good as SSD but will do the job

total 853.97$ ....after mail in rebate 748.97$ !!! now thats the rig not to be messed with , and u got 250 bucks left to go wild , my personal suggestion is repeat Video Card + Memory combo and you will have smocking crossfire and 8 gigs of ram , or you can pop in a 100 bucks SSD in there and have ur OS fly like a JET , either way you'll be happy have fun !

*EDIT* just noticed you have a 700w PSU , while the one i suggested is slighly better on watts and efficiency , your 700w still will run the whole system and 6850 CF easly , so instead of new PSU you could take this Case and cast "Jelousy Laser Beam" on everyone who enters your room

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks magicmike.
RabbitGT, I like all of your suggestions! I really like the corsair water cooling, so I'll go ahead and throw that in.
xd_1771, now I am torn about cases! The RAM you suggested, is it the timings that make it better? If so I'll read up on timings.

Any combo deals / promos will most likely be gone in sixteen weeks. I will start looking at those probably three weeks before I purchase everything.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Well, lower timings usually equals better performance in gaming (as opposed to higher speed) and will also equate to faster app load & boot times; the Ripjaws do 6-8-6 pretty much guaranteed. Just suggested them because it fit the budget
and I prefer the NZXT TEMPEST EVO's style but that is entirely up to you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts