Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've checking out this speaker system and am thinking about buying it, is it any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-168-_-Product

The reason I am considering on buying it is because it comes with everything in one package (I know very little about speakers, so buying everything separately is a no for me). The second reason is the pricing (Price is $400) because I don't plan to buy this for hardcore music playing, I'm not an Audiofile. Also since I know so little, will this system work on my computer?

If you can recommend me a speaker system that's better and around that price, than please do. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
No!!!!!!!!!
lol. Save yourself money...the speakers they come with are C.R.A.P.

I know...I have mine sitting in my closet...I actually used the onkyo fronts as my back surround speakers for 7.1.

·
Registered
720 Posts
could you give some suggestions for something better? i would like ot know also thanks

nvm you added

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
When you buy Onkyo HTIB, 90% of what you're spending is going towards the receiver. The speakers they include are utter trash, granted they have high RMS, they have miserable SNR, so you have to really crank up the receiver to hear them, and by the time you're at 50 or so, it's loud and crackling.

Klipsch, Boston Acoustics and KEF make great sounding low end speakers...and the Phantom series from Paradigm, granted they cost a bit more.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was thinking towards 7.1 which is one of the other reason for getting that system. I know people are going to say that 7.1 is hardly use for games and that it's a waste but I still want them for the games that do support it.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
You can always switch out the speakers in the future, so that's up to you.
With the stock Onkyo speakers, go ahead and use the enclosed 18 ga. speaker wire...when/if you decide to change them out, get yourself some 16ga-14ga speaker wire and banana plugs....it'll make a noticeable difference in sound quality.

I mean, I don't want to sound like a hypocrite seeing as I do have it set up 7.1, but the only time I even hear them is during a bluray or the random PS3 game that supports 7.1, or by changing the surround mode on the receiver.

I love Onkyo receivers..it's not a bad choice at all. I'm not a fan of the speakers..maybe you will be.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's true about the speakers, I could always just get new speakers if I don't like them (Could sell them to my brother since he has a woofer but no speakers). How would I go about connecting them to my PC, using the optical connection or is there a better way?

I forgot to mention this but I'm getting this for PC Gaming and possibly 360/PS3 gaming.

·
Registered
720 Posts
optical or coaxial depending on what your sound card has? i m using aux right now for my ghetto yamaha Rp-u100 receiver

·
Premium Member
3,246 Posts
Your 5850 has HDMI out, right? If so, you could just run a HDMI cable to the receiver from your PC (and PS3/Xbox, for that matter) and then run another HDMI cable out to your monitor. That way you've got audio and video all in one, although I couldn't tell you whether that might bring up lag issues.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also forgot to mention, if I ever want to upgrade from those Onkyo speakers what speakers would be great to replace them with?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts