Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've got a technical question about internet speed and bandwidth.

To play a game online with other players such as a car racing game or sports or whatever else is played online what is the minimum acceptable internet speed in Gb/s - Giga-bits-per-second?

Got a bit of a nasty shock today with internet speed down at 5-8 mega-bits per second - When the service was taken out it was around 25-30 mega-bits per second but has plummeted recently which would be a deal breaker for the service being carried on.

I don't have high speed broadband but I've been told it is coming at some point

So I need to figure the lowest internet speed that is possible to online games without any problems in mega bits per second.

Thanks in advance ---

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,204 Posts
As long as your latency isn't terrible you don't need much. I'd be surprised if you needed more than 500kbps in either direction.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right OK it seems the requirements are not that high then - which is good news

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
Hello,

I've got a technical question about internet speed and bandwidth.

To play a game online with other players such as a car racing game or sports or whatever else is played online what is the minimum acceptable internet speed in Gb/s - Giga-bits-per-second?

Got a bit of a nasty shock today with internet speed down at 5-8 mega-bits per second - When the service was taken out it was around 25-30 mega-bits per second but has plummeted recently which would be a deal breaker for the service being carried on.

I don't have high speed broadband but I've been told it is coming at some point

So I need to figure the lowest internet speed that is possible to online games without any problems in mega bits per second.

Thanks in advance ---
latency and packet loss is way more important than your up/down, specially if you're the only one using that slow line.

·
mfw
8,641 Posts
Pretty sure you're not going to break 100 KB/s either way. So, I expect 1 Mb/s Internet to be enough. Like previously stated, ping and stability are much more important.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
It depends on the game. As long as you have 'enough' bandwidth, latency is really the only factor however some games use a lot more than other. BF5 is the biggest offender I know of and can use up to about 10mbps. A game like rocket league would probably do fine with half a mbps, so long as the latency is good.

Latency is how fast the info travels and bandwidth is how much data at once. A better latency is always good but higher bandwidth will make little to no difference so long as you have enough for the games you play.

·
mfw
8,641 Posts
It depends on the game. As long as you have 'enough' bandwidth, latency is really the only factor however some games use a lot more than other. BF5 is the biggest offender I know of and can use up to about 10mbps. A game like rocket league would probably do fine with half a mbps, so long as the latency is good.
Battle(non)sense measured a maximum of 1.2 Mbps for BFV, which is a little bit off from "10mbps".

Still, it merits a correction for my previous statement conveying that 1 Mbps is enough. Considering Battlefield is the worst offender, perhaps a general rule that 2 Mbps is enough is more truthful.

·
LTSC for life crew
2,890 Posts
I played BF4 regularly on 64 man servers through my 700kb(at best) 3G cell phone hotspot. Had no issues and was typically 45-60 ping in game.

When I upgraded to 3Mb spectrum land line the internet was unusable for gaming. Ping was ~14 in my favorite servers but frequent packet loss was a deal breaker.

fra z - Have you run a speed test lately?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes reason why I'm asking is I will play a game or two at some point but have not yet. My BB provider is WI-FI & 4G but for some reason is being put through 3G but I'm paying for 4G but the speeds are not what they were now I've been a customer for 6-7 months.

Some people I know speak of 50-60 Mb/s (mega-bits)-whilst the service I have when it first started was 23------25------30_____sometimes_+__mega-bits_per_second.

Recently though it was down to 6-7__Mbps___which is not what I'm paying for.

Now I complained to BB provider__speed today is 2 Mbps (maybe a game is going on)__???_we'll see!!!!

Few years ago it was telephone 5-6-8---Mbps____

Ping varies____but I can't speak of packet loss yet.

Anyhow, that is why I'm here to ascertain the minimum speed for all games.

Someone here mentioned 10 Mbps - or way less.

For downloading drivers I've had speeds at 500 KB/s - to - 2MB/s -mega/bytes.

If BB provider doesn't fix the speeds I move service to another provider but need to know minimum speed which I now know.

And packet loss is most important ---

Yes I do BB speed tests via Google search then a list of TEST pop up from different sites to test the speed - If they are good and accurate then all when and good !!!!

·
MMO Enthusiast
911 Posts
A few years ago I used to have a 1Mb connection and played all sorts of online games with no problem at all, main problem could be your latency.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Like mentioned before I've not gamed yet online but will at some point when I get round to it.

And it seems quick speed not necessary (but I took out 4 G contract now I get 3 G speeds even though 4 G is available that is a gripe but not a deal breaker to gaming online with according to the other members here.

Latency - what is the highest acceptable just so I know?

And naturally packet loss is not wanted - someone mentioned

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Battle(non)sense measured a maximum of 1.2 Mbps for BFV, which is a little bit off from "10mbps".

Still, it merits a correction for my previous statement conveying that 1 Mbps is enough. Considering Battlefield is the worst offender, perhaps a general rule that 2 Mbps is enough is more truthful.
On you're right, I misread what I had seen about BF5.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts