Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
i5-4690K Devil's Canyon

Only #1 of #2 (Front Panel) USB 3.0 functions correctly

Total of four (Front Panel) USB Ports-

Left two are USB 3.0, Right two are USB 2.0-

I took a Bitfenix USB 3.0 Extension with Motherboard Header and a 2-Port Splitter and attached it to the motherboard to rule-out the Case Front Panel-

Off of the Bitfenix as well as the Case USB 3.0 Cable, one Port is 3.0, the other is 2.0-

Rear Panel USB 3.0 Ports still function as USB 3.0-

I've tried numerous fixes, deleted and re-installed USB HUB, re-installed Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller-

Re-installed Chipset Driver, Updated Intel Rapid Storage Technology-

I dunno'....I can't believe it works as 2.0 with most flashdrives, but not at all with both of my Corasir SuperBoost 3.0/3.1 Flashdrives....

My Silicon Armor 1TGB A60 has two activity LED's, Red for 2.0, and Blue for 3.0....confirmed with that also-

Two Support Techs have interesting ideas, but no conclusions...one said perhaps it's the 3.0 Mobo Header, maybe the Chipset....maybe RMA time?

The other Tech said check the transfer speed with CrystalMark, and the USB Port in question probably isn't getting enough current, then 'goes off' on the Motherboards USB Charging Feature...SERIOUSLY???

Anyway, IMHO, I personally think it's a software/driver issue-

My 'board OC's Prime95 Stable @ 4.6 GHz, doesn't have a scratch or blemish on it, looks way 'too good' IMHO :) in its' Phanteks Enthoo Luxe/Tempered Glass Side Windrow with RGB Lighting-

*I'd rather not RMA, I don't know what I'll get back from them....

All opinions, suggestions, criticisms, complaints, and compliments are WELCOME!!

To RMA or NOT, that is the question!

Software, Driver?

Maybe just live with it??

·
Cheapest Man On Earth
640 Posts
If it is the OS or software then you could try booting up a Linux ISO on a USB drive and then test it out. Something like Linux Mint or your distro of choice should work fine for testing transfer speed. You can type 'lsusb' in a terminal to list the USB devices and hubs. That would rule out the installed software and drivers from you regular boot drive. If it's a quirk of the BIOS then I dunno. There isn't anything listed in the BIOS updates mentioning stuff related to USB.

How does the connector itself look? I've seen some of them come apart where the plastic piece is just loose and practically falls off. If it looks jacked up or any pins are discolored or something then it could be a physical issue.

As far as RMA, that board is a few generations old. If you bought it more recently and still have a warranty, then Gigabyte probably doesn't have that board around to give you a replacement if they can't fix it. I wouldn't even consider it personally. If you need it that badly it would be cheap enough and infinitely faster to order a PCI-E USB 3.0 hub. With Prime day starting tomorrow you might be able to get one really cheap. The down time would be the time it takes to install it. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it is the OS or software then you could try booting up a Linux ISO on a USB drive and then test it out. Something like Linux Mint or your distro of choice should work fine for testing transfer speed. You can type 'lsusb' in a terminal to list the USB devices and hubs. That would rule out the installed software and drivers from you regular boot drive. If it's a quirk of the BIOS then I dunno. There isn't anything listed in the BIOS updates mentioning stuff related to USB.

How does the connector itself look? I've seen some of them come apart where the plastic piece is just loose and practically falls off. If it looks jacked up or any pins are discolored or something then it could be a physical issue.

As far as RMA, that board is a few generations old. If you bought it more recently and still have a warranty, then Gigabyte probably doesn't have that board around to give you a replacement if they can't fix it. I wouldn't even consider it personally. If you need it that badly it would be cheap enough and infinitely faster to order a . With Prime day starting tomorrow you might be able to get one really cheap. The down time would be the time it takes to install it. Good luck!
I forgot to mention that I dual-boot Linux Mint, same problem....I'll see if it's same or better with a LIveCD or use an ISO with UNETBOOTIN-

After taking the PC apart, then re-assembling, I noticed a slightly bent pin on 3.0 Mobo Header, Pin#1/USB3+5V, which I straightened-out...I've straightened-out a dozen or so Intel Socket Pins that were bent, without any problem, maybe this time I'm not so lucky....I could take another look-

I spoke to Gigabyte, it's their 'Black Edition' with a 5/Year Warranty, they said plenty in stock...not knowing what I get back, and turn-around time are considerations, you have a good thought, getting a PCI-E USB 3.0 hub maybe the best all-around solution!!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
920 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If your issue was like mine. I could not get my 2 usb 3.0 port to work on the front of my case. I tried one of these https://www.bitfenix.com/global/en/products/accessories/internal-usb3-adapter

And it did not work. The problem is you can not split usb headers. You can chain usbs but you can’t split them. This little $13 card fixed the issue. Now both front panel USB ports work.

https://www.ebay.com/i/371753270414...6%26rvr_ts%3D9bfc40fd1640ab6ab0242259fff624dd

Hope this helps
Thanks!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts