Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dell and it came with dual channel ddr 512 mb, a frequency of 199.5 and a cas latency of 3-3-3-8 (intel chipset). Will this ram,which i will list the specs of, increase my pc's speed noticebaly and improve gaming and overall performance? Memory:

Manufacturer: Corsair
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 32M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
since it has the same speed and timings, it wont increase it almost at all...maybe a tiny bit but nothing noticable.

if u want to get new ram, get some 3200 with 2-2-2-5 timings, that will give u a performance increase

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Dell bios will most likely not allow you to change latencies...possibly have to look into the ram that has "plug and frag" which boots up to the super low latencies automatically.

·
Premium Member
3,983 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
Dell bios will most likely not allow you to change latencies...possibly have to look into the ram that has "plug and frag" which boots up to the super low latencies automatically.
Good catch Xav!

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
good point man, corsair XMS has that in their better ram, and it doesnt cost anything extra.

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Is the total quantity 512mb? If so, you would see the most gain by going to 1 GB. Timings have a very minimal effect on peformance in Intel systems, whereas most high-end tasks and games now pretty much require 1 GB. With that in mind, and assuming you are referring to a total of 512mb system memory (2x256), then another 2x256 would be your best bet.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421
what is plug and frag?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
its just something that new memory has that when u just plug in the memory into the slot, it automatically boots with the timings its supposed to have...so u dont have to manually set it in the bios

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123
its just something that new memory has that when u just plug in the memory into the slot, it automatically boots with the timings its supposed to have...so u dont have to manually set it in the bios
how can i check if i have that automatic plug and frag option?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
its not something all memory has...like i said, the new corsair xms line has it, and then other companies also have something close to it. but theres no way the memory that came with your dell has it, or needs it because they set it at the factory

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

its not something all memory has...like i said, the new corsair xms line has it, and then other companies also have something close to it. but theres no way the memory that came with your dell has it, or needs it because they set it at the factory

if i put in a low lat corsair xms will it affect my speed and change automatically, or should i do what noaffinity recommended and just by another 512(256x2) ram with a lat of around 3?

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
u would have better performance with the added 2x256 memory.....because the better timings would increase performance a tiny bit, but the extra memory will give u alot more, even better in games and apps

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by cfog3291

I have a dell and it came with dual channel ddr 512 mb, a frequency of 199.5 and a cas latency of 3-3-3-8 (intel chipset). Will this ram,which i will list the specs of, increase my pc's speed noticebaly and improve gaming and overall performance? Memory:

Manufacturer: Corsair
Speed: DDR400(PC3200)
Type: 184 Pin DDR SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 3
Support Voltage: 2.6V
Bandwidth: 3.2GB/s
Organization: two 32M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime

tighten up ur memory timings and u will get better performance

1 - 15 of 15 Posts