Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, whilst shopping online, i saw that i could save about $70 off my my new rig's components if the PSU (silencer 750)and MOBO (M2R32-MVP)were "Open Box" from Ncix.

i have an open box videocard from them and it works perfectly but i wanna hear if anyone has any horror stories about open boxed items before i get 2 more ob things. Share away!

(they have a 30 day warranty from the seller, and keep the manufacturer's warranty BTW)

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753
View Post

Hey guys, whilst shopping online, i saw that i could save about $70 off my my new rig's components if the PSU (silencer 750)and MOBO (M2R32-MVP)were "Open Box" from Ncix.

i have an open box videocard from them and it works perfectly but i wanna hear if anyone has any horror stories about open boxed items before i get 2 more ob things. Share away!

(they have a 30 day warranty from the seller, and keep the manufacturer's warranty BTW)
Thoughts?

Open Box is fine as long as you understand you might be missing some cables, manuals, install discs, etc. I buy Open Box everytime I have the option

• Rep+
Reactions: SyncMaster753

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
not sure about ncix, but ive bought open box items from new before and never had any problems! But if there was something wrong with it, i would have to return it to newegg within 7 days thought the manufacturers warranty was still intact.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I have pretty good luck with open box from both newegg and mwave - although if you get an open box mobo from newegg expect it to have NOTHING. Motherboards and CPU's are the ONLY things I dont buy open box nowadays, all 6 of my HDDs are either open box or refurbs, all my older video cards are open box (I got 3 ati x300SE cards for 20-30$ a piece
)

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
Personally I would just stay away from getting an open box motherboard just because it's nice to get all the cables that come with it.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Don't Do It.

Open Box is asking for stuff someone else has screwed up, or didn't work for them in the first place.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Open box can mean that it's a working return and their just not allowed to sell it as new.

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Yeah but I don't play Russian Roulette with my purchases.

·
Banned
2,100 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modki
View Post

Don't Do It.

Open Box is asking for stuff someone else has screwed up, or didn't work for them in the first place.

it could just as easily mean the person bought something that wasn't compatible with their system. i'm sure most open box Radeon X1950s are due to power supply requirements

·
ZFS
4,084 Posts
Definitely not on the PSU.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
go open box on smaller items (HD's, fans, cases). On complex sort of things, I would stay away. Motherboards have no cables, back panels, or anything. PSU's may be less reliable, same with CPU's. But for cheaper things, go for it- save some money!

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modki
View Post

Don't Do It.

Or......the general population has no idea what they're doing and order products with the wrong interface, socket type, etc. I can't even imagine how many pairs of DDR2 get returned because they purchased a DDR motherboard and vice versa. You're fully guaranteed with every purchase, so where exactly does the "Russian Roulette" come in to play? The savings can be pretty substantial and for the record, I've yet to have a damaged item and I've ordered a very large amount of Open Box and refurbished items over the last few years.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
heck if it comes with the warranty from retailer and manufacturing why not go open box, if your in a rush and dont want to deal with the headaches of rmaing and waiting an extra week or two go with the the new retail package

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
if you know what to do without drivers... and cables... and how to RMA though the manufacturer go for it...

i've saved TONS of money on open box items... got an asus a8n-sli premium for 35 bucks! so what if i didn't get any cables... or a driver CD...

my current monitor was listed as an open box... the guy that ordered it refused it at delivery... and NEVER OPENED IT! -- so i got a brand new 22 inch in the factory sealed box... with everything... for 240...

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankenPC
View Post

It's like buying a used car. You have no idea how the original owner broke it in. It's life expectancy could be much shorter. It's a real gamble.

Though, with open box hardware... the manufacturers warranty is still there...

If you know how to diag hardware... and don't mind spending 15 bucks and waiting a week or two for an RMA return... what's the worst that could happen?

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
It's like buying a used car. You have no idea how the original owner broke it in. It's life expectancy could be much shorter. It's a real gamble.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
for the PSU it's the orange silencer 750w ($235), the black one is cheaper so if i go black, i'm paying $210 for the psu, instead of the $190 for the ob oj one.

the silencer isin't modular at all, so there's no cables i would be missing unless they physically cut them off, lol.....if someone was cheap enough to take the main power cord, i have 2 extras sitting around anyways.

it's the mobo i'm worried about....hopefully it was from someone stupid who had an intel chip, or a mATX case
, here's hopin

you guys underestimate my cheapness. lol

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,336 Posts
Customer: Lol I snapped a capacitor off but I'm going to tell Newegg I want to return it because it doesn't fit my case, lol yeah then it's not my fault rofl. Let some other poor guy pay for it.

Newegg: Well he said it just wouldn't fit his case, no need to test it I suppose.

You: OMG I'VE BEEN HAXED!!!

·
Premium Member
2,529 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Modki View Post
Customer: Lol I snapped a capacitor off but I'm going to tell Newegg I want to return it because it doesn't fit my case, lol yeah then it's not my fault rofl. Let some other poor guy pay for it.

Newegg: Well he said it just wouldn't fit his case, no need to test it I suppose.

You: OMG I'VE BEEN HAXED!!!
You: No post/fails tests... return to newegg for full credit... you're out of a little time... and a little shipping & handling... and newegg was kind enough to provide you with all the shipping materials you need other then a roll of tape...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts