Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do I get a new version of Java?
I'm running this in a vm and first time opening Libre, it gives me java outdated and crashes.
I searched around and don't find this listed anywhere as an issue.
I've installed a lot distros but spend most of the time figuring out why stuff breaks.
Not entirely versed in how to patch an install. Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
It's been a few years since I used Suse , but first try Yast and see if it has any updates. You could download java and manually install it , if it's a rpm then "rpm -i javaxxxx.rpm" and tar.gz then uncompress with "tar xvzf javaxxx.tar.gz" . you may need to configure / make / make install, please do go through the install/readme file with the download. and ".bin' file sh or chmod 755 javaxxx.xx and then run ./javaxxx.xx

http://www.java.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's what I get for not reading the manual I guess.
Somehow it started working and Yast shows Java 1.6 installed.
Now if I could just figure out why it's running so slow in general.
I understand vm takes a bite but with only one running on a quad, seem really slow.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
@IM: The worst thing you could do is start trying to patch your own updates.

Suse is just like any other Linux distro - it's just instead of Debian packages or tar-ball binaries, it uses RPMs. Thus you just use Suse's package manager just like you would use apt-get in Debian / Ubuntu or pacman in Arch.

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Open the package manager yast and type in "java JRE." See if everything is installed. I remember for LibreOffice it's Java JRE. Try that.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

Open the package manager yast and type in "java JRE." See if everything is installed. I remember for LibreOffice it's Java JRE. Try that.
JRE is just one of many Java run time environments. LibraOffice will work with either JRE or OpenJDK.

In an ideal world I'd recommend using OpenJDK over JRE as the former is open source and the latter is closed and owned by Oracle. In fact with LibreOffice being GPL and not under the control of Oracle, I would imagine it's more thoroughly tested against OpenJDK - but I'm just guessing here. However it doesn't really too much - in fact switching from one to the other could break other Java dependant systems (particularly if you don't know what you're doing).

I don't have a copy of OpenSuse to hand to find out which Java runtime environment it ships with by default, however it will either be one of the aforementioned two (OpenJDK or JRE) so just make sure that's up-to-date and don't start switching for the sake of it.

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
JRE got removed in version 12.1 due to licencing troubles. Unfortunately it isn't native to this forum but here is a guide to install it in OpenSUSE.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Quote:

JRE got removed in version 12.1 due to licencing troubles. Unfortunately it isn't native to this forum but here is a guide to install it in OpenSUSE.
If OpenJDK is included instead, then you wouldn't need to install JRE

[edit]

OpenJDK is included. So switching to JRE would be utterly pointless.

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

If OpenJDK is included instead, then you wouldn't need to install JRE
I don't know. Although according to my Yahooing (does anyone else still use that?) people have reported LibreOffice not working on JDK and only working on JRE. If I remember correctly when I had SUSE I just went to Java's site, downloaded it and installed it (JRE that is).

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
I've run Libre without either but that takes out Base though...so I guess if you need Base then you need them. I don't get why it wouldn't let you configure it to stop looking because I did that when it was giving me the same problems.

·
Banned
5,061 Posts
I'm sure if you just keep clicking the X it goes away after about a minute or so... did this to me in Windows XP.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Quote:

I don't know. Although according to my Yahooing (does anyone else still use that?) people have reported LibreOffice not working on JDK and only working on JRE. If I remember correctly when I had SUSE I just went to Java's site, downloaded it and installed it (JRE that is).
OpenOffice might have been a bit more fussy, but then you're talking about two Oracle products. But I'm pretty sure LibreOffice will with OpenJDK just fine.

I've not got round to re-installing Java nor LibreOffice on Arch since installing my SSD, but I'm sure I was running that previously

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Quote:

OpenOffice might have been a bit more fussy, but then you're talking about two Oracle products. But I'm pretty sure LibreOffice will with OpenJDK just fine.
I've not got round to re-installing Java nor LibreOffice on Arch since installing my SSD, but I'm sure I was running that previously
Yeah libreoffice will work with openjdk 6 or 7, but I've noticed it will still run better with oracle's JRE (you don't really need oracle's java JDK unless the program says it requires it, Oracle's java jdk is if you want to develop java programs.)

I personally use Oracle's jre/jdk, as it runs some of the programs i do use better than openjdk can.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transhour View Post

Yeah libreoffice will work with openjdk 6 or 7, but I've noticed it will still run better with oracle's JRE
"Better" in which way? Faster? More stable?
Quote:

(you don't really need oracle's java JDK unless the program says it requires it, Oracle's java jdk is if you want to develop java programs.)
Nobody mentioned Oracle JDK though (or did I miss that post?)
Quote:

I personally use Oracle's jre/jdk, as it runs some of the programs i do use better than openjdk can.
I've heard similar things about other Java apps, eg that Minecraft can be buggy on OpenJDK, but I honestly never had a problem with Minecraft on O'JDK (not that I'm taking anything away from those who had experienced problems).

From what I recall, the only time I was pushed into Oracles Java suite was when developing for Android (which seems really odd when looking back now) and obviously when running Oracle Apps (eg their financial and payroll suite).

I know OpenJDK is a long way from perfect, but I really cannot stand Oracle so I'd rather make do (where I can) with FOSS than sign up with them - idealistically speaking obviously
laugher.gif

·
Premium Member
4,527 Posts
Quote:

"Better" in which way? Faster? More stable?
Nobody mentioned Oracle JDK though (or did I miss that post?)
I've heard similar things about other Java apps, eg that Minecraft can be buggy on OpenJDK, but I honestly never had a problem with Minecraft on O'JDK (not that I'm taking anything away from those who had experienced problems).
From what I recall, the only time I was pushed into Oracles Java suite was when developing for Android (which seems really odd when looking back now) and obviously when running Oracle Apps (eg their financial and payroll suite).
I know OpenJDK is a long way from perfect, but I really cannot stand Oracle so I'd rather make do (where I can) with FOSS than sign up with them - idealistically speaking obviously
laugher.gif
both actually. When you first install ubuntu, it comes with libre office and openjdk, when I open libre, the splash screen hangs around for a good 30 to 40 seconds before displaying the writer, and when i run spell check, it spaces out on me, making it frustrating slow to run it. Same with autosaves it does, it "hangs" for a second or two, before it allows me to resume normal operations. Did this with Open Office as well, so for a time, I had actually stopped using open/libre cause i just assumed those problems were related to it, and not openjdk.

Last year, i started using Zend studio for my web development, and that require Oracel's JRE/JDK, and it was around that time, I decided to give libre another chance as well, cause I needed more fully featured office suite that abiword and the other limited choices didn't offer. That is when I noticed it actually worked faster and the spell checker wouldn't spaz out on me, and the autosave wouldn't "hang" the program.

I'm not sure if this is everyones experience with openjdk, as i'd assume it isn't.

To me its worth the "agreement" that they have you agree to now to use their JRE/JDK, cause its simply well worth using zend studio for it :). the side benefit is to run libre office with no (well little) problems.

as for my mention of oracles jdk, is that you don't need, when you go to download the packags from oracle, they are both on the download page, and it might be confusing which one you actual will need if you decide to go with them, than openjdk.

·
Premium Member
8,040 Posts
Quote:

both actually. When you first install ubuntu, it comes with libre office and openjdk, when I open libre, the splash screen hangs around for a good 30 to 40 seconds before displaying the writer, and when i run spell check, it spaces out on me, making it frustrating slow to run it. Same with autosaves it does, it "hangs" for a second or two, before it allows me to resume normal operations. Did this with Open Office as well, so for a time, I had actually stopped using open/libre cause i just assumed those problems were related to it, and not openjdk.

Last year, i started using Zend studio for my web development, and that require Oracel's JRE/JDK, and it was around that time, I decided to give libre another chance as well, cause I needed more fully featured office suite that abiword and the other limited choices didn't offer. That is when I noticed it actually worked faster and the spell checker wouldn't spaz out on me, and the autosave wouldn't "hang" the program.

I'm not sure if this is everyones experience with openjdk, as i'd assume it isn't.

To me its worth the "agreement" that they have you agree to now to use their JRE/JDK, cause its simply well worth using zend studio for it
smile.gif
. the side benefit is to run libre office with no (well little) problems.
Ahh interesting. Thanks for the explanation.
smile.gif

I'm very tempted to do a side by side comparison comparison to see just how different LibreOffice performs - though I'm not sure how useful such an experiment would be.
Quote:

as for my mention of oracles jdk, is that you don't need, when you go to download the packags from oracle, they are both on the download page, and it might be confusing which one you actual will need if you decide to go with them, than openjdk.
Ahhh that makes sense then.
biggrin.gif

1 - 17 of 17 Posts