Votes: 4 5.1%
  • Safe

Votes: 75 94.9%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, is 40°C too much? As a side note, what if the temp were to increase to 45°C?

The disks are 2TB Samsung F4G and they do work non-stop under light load.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I'm pretty sure 40 is fine. I recall reading an article ages ago that tested hard drive failures in different temeratures, and it turned out they failed more at cooler temps for some reason, I guess they are designed to run warm. I can't seem to find the article now though, I will keep digging!

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
40°C is fine. 45 would start to worry me. 50 is considered overheating and if you hit that, you will trigger a SMART alarm. If you run above 50 for too long, you risk damaging the FDB motor which will cause the drive to stop spinning and make for a very difficult professional data recovery, as replacing the motor is a very complicated process.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxxa
View Post

I'm pretty sure that in the summer most people's abiant temps aren't much lower than 40C.

LOLWUT!?

Do you realize quite how hot that is?! That's enough to give anybody heat exhaustion over a day. My ambients in summer are about 24C, I don't know about you but I don't leave my computer outside in the beating sun.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
40c is probly fine you might wanna stay under 45c and you could maybe move the drive or rig a fan on it to help it good thing about hardrives is the temps dont normaly change to much they stay around same mark.

• Rep+
Reactions: dragosmp

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xero.
View Post

LOLWUT!?

Do you realize quite how hot that is?!

In the summer here, ambient air temps get above 40c, and my loft stays at about 27-30c. An ambient of 40c in a living space would be hell though.

That being said, I do not think 40c is too hot for a drive. All three of my drives receive direct airflown and they still stay around 35-40c. I'd be more worried about the temperature swinging a large amount from cool to hot, rather than operating at a stable, slightly warm temp.

·
Premium Member
18,210 Posts
Quote:

View Post

LOLWUT!?

Do you realize quite how hot that is?! That's enough to give anybody heat exhaustion over a day. My ambients in summer are about 24C, I don't know about you but I don't leave my computer outside in the beating sun.

40c is 104f alot of places summers hit 95-105 for atleast a few days i know in ky we usualy hit 100f a couple days some times more if no rain.

·
Banned
2,784 Posts
Quote:

View Post

LOLWUT!?

That's funny.

We had a 105 average for about 2 weeks in Manhattan.

The hottest I've been to was in Texas - 117F or 47C.

Now that.. was hot.

·
Premium Member
16,458 Posts

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Quote:

View Post

LOLWUT!?

I'll take my shot now~
Some days my front room of my house goes 32c if my air isn't on thats almost hot enough to melt my igloo.

However I was more referring to the case ambient temps being an easy 5-10C hotter than outside temps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:

View Post

LOLWUT!?

In summer my bedroom hits 35ºC at 3~5 PM. Then gets lower and at night its about 22ºC.

It's 22:42 and I have both windows from my bedroom opened because of the heat... So in summer...

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Sure, and you can run your Q6600 at 90°C, since it's not designed to shut itself off until it exceeds 100°C, but for how long?
kookoo.gif

The Google study was interesting, though based on its 2007 date it's not likely that the drives they worked with included many modern drives with fluid dynamic bearing motors (basically any hard drive SINCE 2007 or so). These are much more sensitive to heat than their ball bearing motor predecessors. For that matter, they're also sensitive to cold, but they warm up quickly enough that it doesn't really matter.

And now you know why you have to wear a jacket in a data center.
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys, it's been very helpful. I see 40°C is borderline ok, but if the temps were to rise further I should try some sort of active cooling. In the current case there is no room for the tiniest of fans so a case-mod may be in order
yessir.gif

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dfxvoodoo;13119331
it's on the high side
but safe
Agreed.

I haven't seen my HDD temps go above 35C.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragosmp;13119307
Thanks guys, it's been very helpful. I see 40°C is borderline ok, but if the temps were to rise further I should try some sort of active cooling. In the current case there is no room for the tiniest of fans so a case-mod may be in order
yessir.gif
Your case can have a 120x25mm fan mounted in front of the HDD cage in the front center. Try installing one there.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10
View Post

For that matter, they're also sensitive to cold, but they warm up quickly enough that it doesn't really matter.

I thought one of the most harmful things was a quick temperature swing from cool to warm?

Are you talking about a data center where the drives are on 24/7, or is that also a tolerance of fluid dynamic bearings?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts