Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a P4 524 Prescott 3.06 processor on an old Foxconn board. The board is really slowing me down and I want to upgrade and have the option of buying a faster processor later. I have decided on the Asus P5B-E or Deluxe. I saw a little blurb on Newegg that the P965 chipset only supports certain memory - "Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets" I have G.Skill F2-6400CL4D ram, which is rated for 1.9- 2.0V and a CAS latency of 4. Does this mean that this RAM will not work or just not at this speed and voltage? I do not want to invest in new RAM also. Should I get a different board? Your opinions and experience would be highly appreciated.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Just leave it alone, everything on your computer is going to be slowing you down. I would just start saving up for something new, if your first response it, "Well it does everything I need it to." Then just leave it alone.

·
Facepalm
9,491 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jcoffin1981
View Post

Hi there. I have a P4 524 Prescott 3.06 processor on an old Foxconn board. The board is really slowing me down and I want to upgrade and have the option of buying a faster processor later. I have decided on the Asus P5B-E or Deluxe. I saw a little blurb on Newegg that the P965 chipset only supports certain memory - "Notice: Only DDR2-800 memory supporting JEDEC approved 1.8V operation with timings of 5-5-5 or 6-6-6 is supported on Intel Desktop Boards based on Intel 965 Express Chipsets" I have G.Skill F2-6400CL4D ram, which is rated for 1.9- 2.0V and a CAS latency of 4. Does this mean that this RAM will not work or just not at this speed and voltage? I do not want to invest in new RAM also. Should I get a different board? Your opinions and experience would be highly appreciated.

Let's stop right now for a moment.
What do you actually DO on your computer?
What do you use it for?

Then we'll tell you whether you're just tossing perfectly good money away or not...

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, to be honest the PC is quite adequate for what I do. It's pretty much an HTPC. I don't game though or run many CPU intensive programs, but it does lag when multitasking, which annoys the hell out of me. I have replaced every piece of hardware one by one with the intention of making it completely silent, which it now is. I also want it to run super fast and efficient and effortlessly multitask. (iTunes, YouTube, Powerpoint, Netflix, Firefox, etc) Plus tuning and tweaking and overclocking and benching etc. is lots of fun. I appreciate everyone looking out for me so as not to toss hard earned scratch away, but this is what I want. I was advised to buy a newer system, but everything is new except for the board. With that said, I'm looking to purchase a board and CPU, or maybe just the board now and later the CPU that will work well with my system and increase performance. Maybe an Asus board and Core 2 Duo. I was hoping someone could recommend some hardware that will work well with my present system, without problems such as the RAM not being compatible. Thanks! I'm also gonna finally use my Vista upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts