Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is my first loop, ordered a few days ago. Let me know what you think

first, to explain what I want:
-I dont want to ram my case completely full, and using available drive slots seems reasonable for a reservoir. That means the reservoir only has 1x 3.5 slot to fit in, because I have 2x optical drives and a dual 5.25 bay fan controller, plus a 3.5" memory card reader
-the loop will only cool my cpu for now (my gpu has an amazing zalmaan cooler, which, even with my overclocked card, keeps it running at 30 degrees idle and 40 degrees full load)
-the loop must be entirely housed inside the computer (but obviously vent outside the case)
-I want it to be quiet (currently I have 5 fans, all 120mm, which gets to be a bit loud, I'm hoping to lower the noise a bit)

my current computer:
asus maximus 2 formula
Q6600 @3.2 ghz on air at 35-40 degrees idle, 50-60 degrees load
520 watt corsair powersupply
thermaltake sopranoRs case

Now finally the water cooling gear:
-primochill typhoon - single floppy bay reservior
-primoflex pro lrt blue tubing
-primochill pure (32 oz) electric blue coolant
-swiftech mcp355 12v dc pump
-black ice FT stealth 120 radiator
-swiftech apogee GTZ
-all fitings are 3/8" od

do you think this small loop will help cool my cpu to a lower temp than it was on air?

·
Registered
510 Posts
Should work, only the black ice radiators really like high flow fans, so I don't think you are going to save much on sound. The Swiftech MCR rads would be better cost effective choice, pair a 220 with a some quiet fans (I really like the Sythe S-flex - cost a bit more but I've got 3 on my MCR320 and you can't hear them)

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts
Yeah I'd go at least a 240 rad, if you think you might like to add anything else in your loop later on go for a 360..

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the problem is that I cannot fit a 240 inside my computer.....

however, that being said, I could probably fit another 120 at the front of my case or possibly on the side panel.

The only other option I might have is adding a 120 on the back of the computer with a panel I've seen that lets you screw it right into the back of the case (but even then, thats a last resort for me. I want all the stuff inside the case)

if I were to add another 120, how should I run the loop. Currently, I want to run, res. to pump to rad to cpu, to res. Would I run it: res to pump to rad to cpu to rad?

About the fans. by running water cooling, I will be at least 1 or 2 fans less in my case as I have currently, so it should be more quiet then it is now. Also, my smallest/slowest fans push 49 cfm. is that enough for my GT rad? or do I need one that pushes more?

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Why don't you just mount the 240 on the back of the case, like this:

Though if you really want to get away with a single internal 120 rad, you could. Just get a Black Ice GTX and a high performance (100cfm+) fan. But at that point you might as well just stick with a TRUE.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd prefer not to hang the fans on the outside of the case, if I can help it.

Currently, I can overclock my Q6600 to 3.6 ghz, but it runs way to hot to let it test through prime 95 for hours. Seems to run around 77 C. My cpu cooler is an OCZ vindicator, which I'm guessing is a crappy cooler anyway, so I'm hoping to lower my overall temps down about 10 degrees with water cooling (I'll make sure to have a 100 CFM fan for sure)
does this seem acheivable?

·
Bacon & Eggs
2,865 Posts
If you can get a 120 in the front and then 120 in the back and run them parallel that will work fine. I did that for my first setup on my quad, until I moved everything outside.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What is a good thin rad for my 2nd 120mm rad then?, and how should i run the loop?

is it possible to stack 2 rads on on top of the other? or would this defeat the cooling process?

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by quikgp
View Post

What is a good thin rad for my 2nd 120mm rad then?, and how should i run the loop?

is it possible to stack 2 rads on on top of the other? or would this defeat the cooling process?

Go with a Black Ice GTX. Those are the best performing rads when using high CFM fans.

And when stack you mean like, have the air from one blow through the other? Sure that's absolutely possible, but you'll run into two obstacles. First, you'll need to set it up so that one fan is pushing while the other is pulling, because two rads will offer way too much resistance for just one fan to be effective. Like this:

air -> fan|shroud|rad| shroud or empty space |rad|shroud|fan -> exhaust

Second, you have to check to see how warm the rads get. The hotter the exhaust from the first rad, the less the second rad will be able to cool. But if the rads can handle the heat well, there will barely be a difference in temp.

As for where to run it in the loop - well if you're going to stack them like this you might as well put them right after each other (to use less tubing, keeping resistance as low as possible). Otherwise it doesn't really matter, just as long as you keep one rad between your pump and CPU.

·
Premium Member
11,951 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TnB= Gir View Post
Manyak, that isn't a thin rad.

If you need thin, go with an MCR220/320.

And here is a test done on sandwiched rads. It actually works quite well.

lol, when reading that post for some reason I completely skipped the word "thin".

But you also skipped the fact that he wants a single rad, not a double/triple!
MCR-120

And with a thin rads you can get away with just one fan blowing instead of two like I said in my previous post.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts