Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think it would be worth it if I replaced my GA-EP45-UD3R for the UD3P (crossfire support) and purchased another Sapphire 4870 512MB?

It would come out to about $250 before shipping. Also, would my 630W PSU be able to provide enough power (because it is CF certified)?

I'm purely looking for opinions, although reasoning to back things up is always nice.

PS: The purpose for this is I've recently purchased ArmA2 and I also still play Crysis: Warhead, which my computer can handle without AA. But I'm curious whether or not someone has done this or something similar in the past and whether or not it was worth it.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Crossfired 4870s are pretty powerful, but that 512MB of total memory is going to start hurting, if not now, then very soon.

Personally, I wouldn't upgrade a motherboard just for that purpose.

But then again, I don't game that much so my opinion is slightly biased.

• Rep+
Reactions: kkruegs101

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Its best if you either upgrade to a 4890 instead, single card solutions are always the best.
Or you can wait for the DX11 cards to come out.
What you really need is 2x2GB ram running in dual channel, or a new PSU (Raidmax quality is horrible)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eh, not going to spend 200 dollars to slightly increase my fps (my friend just bought a 4890 and it isn't a huge difference, especially considering he uses a lower resolution), I'll probably just wait for the newer cards to come out. For the RAM, that won't make much of a difference either, and its probably at least $50 for a decent set. And as far as the PSU goes, its been running smoothly for almost 8 months, never had any problems and I probably won't need more power if I'm still looking for a single card setup, not to mention that'll be another easy $100 spent.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kkruegs101
View Post

Do you think it would be worth it if I replaced my GA-EP45-UD3R for the UD3P (crossfire support) and purchased another Sapphire 4870 512MB?

It would come out to about $250 before shipping. Also, would my 630W PSU be able to provide enough power (because it is CF certified)?

I'm purely looking for opinions, although reasoning to back things up is always nice.

PS: The purpose for this is I've recently purchased ArmA2 and I also still play Crysis: Warhead, which my computer can handle without AA. But I'm curious whether or not someone has done this or something similar in the past and whether or not it was worth it.

Thanks

The 4870 is by no means a bad card, I've played ArmA2/Crysis maxed with all AA, to me its not worth shelling out an extra $150. If you are bent on upgrading, wait for the 5870s to come out and buy one of those.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.