Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was thinking of buying an XFX 285 Black Edition to SLI with my Asus 285ENGTX (Which i will probably upgrade to another Black Edition because this asus card cant OC for **** and will bring down the XFX) and while in was checking it out, I was considering buying a 9800gt and smashing it into the third slot of my sexy mobo.

Now i have 3 issues ->

Issue #1: Would 512mb be enough, or should I go all out for the sake of GB Ex58-Extreme and get a 1gb 9800?

Issue #2: My case is big, but wouldn't be able to fit in a third 2-slot video card, it would have to be a slimline 9800.

Issue #3: Is it really worth it?

Im here in aus and just did my tax return, so i have to spend this $$ on my comp. No stupid requests about saving anything!

Any help though will be much appreciated!!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
I have actually done this test personally and figured out that dedicated PhysX is absolutely worthless. I did a 3DMark Vantage test at first with two 9800GT's in SLI and then I did the same thing but added an 8800GT for dedicated PhysX and I actually got a slightly worse score. The reason why this makes sence is that PhysX is so insignificantly weak on power that you won't slow a card down by using it on the GPUs (unless you have some super low end card like a 9400GT or something). Also a dedicated PhysX card adds delay to PhysX communication and instead of directly using the GPUs it has to go to PhysX card for that processing.

If I were you I would either do SLI or tri-sli and forget about having dedicated PhysX and just use the GPUs for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Is it really worth it?
No, it's not) You can enable PhysX in SLI mode (main GPU is doing PhysX + graphics, second - graphics only) and 2x285 will be enough for all current and future (for half-year, I would say) PhysX games

·
Registered
50 Posts
i wouldn't bother with dedicated card at all!!!

i have 295gtx clocked at [email protected]@1242 around 24 000vantage

i used BFG PhysX card(had to use older physX driver, because newer dowsnt make this card work) and i gain exactly 0 points increase
or 0FPS in games
)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much guys for all the help!! Especially Open your eyes mate, ive seen some of the other great work you have been doing round these forums! Obviously something i really didnt know much about and I found it very hard to find any sort of reliable info in regards to this setup working out.

mikello007 I <3 that sweet WC setup you got by the way
. My dream upgrade would be to get an exos2.5 and some sexy 285 blocks!!

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
3way sli FTW

·
Registered
50 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thar
View Post

mikello007 i <3 that sweet wc setup you got by the way :d. My dream upgrade would be to get an exos2.5 and some sexy 285 blocks!!

this is not done yet, but even tho it looks nice and ye go for it

picture
Attachment 117470

1 - 8 of 8 Posts