Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was thinking of buying an XFX 285 Black Edition to SLI with my Asus 285ENGTX (Which i will probably upgrade to another Black Edition because this asus card cant OC for **** and will bring down the XFX) and while in was checking it out, I was considering buying a 9800gt and smashing it into the third slot of my sexy mobo.

Now i have 3 issues ->

Issue #1: Would 512mb be enough, or should I go all out for the sake of GB Ex58-Extreme and get a 1gb 9800?

Issue #2: My case is big, but wouldn't be able to fit in a third 2-slot video card, it would have to be a slimline 9800.

Issue #3: Is it really worth it?

Im here in aus and just did my tax return, so i have to spend this $$ on my comp. No stupid requests about saving anything!

Any help though will be much appreciated!!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
5,777 Posts
I have actually done this test personally and figured out that dedicated PhysX is absolutely worthless. I did a 3DMark Vantage test at first with two 9800GT's in SLI and then I did the same thing but added an 8800GT for dedicated PhysX and I actually got a slightly worse score. The reason why this makes sence is that PhysX is so insignificantly weak on power that you won't slow a card down by using it on the GPUs (unless you have some super low end card like a 9400GT or something). Also a dedicated PhysX card adds delay to PhysX communication and instead of directly using the GPUs it has to go to PhysX card for that processing.

If I were you I would either do SLI or tri-sli and forget about having dedicated PhysX and just use the GPUs for it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quote:
Is it really worth it?
No, it's not) You can enable PhysX in SLI mode (main GPU is doing PhysX + graphics, second - graphics only) and 2x285 will be enough for all current and future (for half-year, I would say) PhysX games

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much guys for all the help!! Especially Open your eyes mate, ive seen some of the other great work you have been doing round these forums! Obviously something i really didnt know much about and I found it very hard to find any sort of reliable info in regards to this setup working out.

mikello007 I <3 that sweet WC setup you got by the way
. My dream upgrade would be to get an exos2.5 and some sexy 285 blocks!!

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
3way sli FTW

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.