Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I just upgraded my CPU and set the OC at around 4.4 ghz and was just wondering if my temps were normal/safe. During idle, my temps are between 40-45C, when gaming 55-60C and when stresstesting around 70-80C. Is this ok or should I lower my OC?

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
You're good to go! 4.4 is the stock turbo speed anyway. Your load and stress test temps are solid. The idle temps are oddly high. Not sure why that is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Huh, I didn't even notice that. I have a Corsair H60 as a CPU cooler. I'm trying to adjust the fan so I can lower it during idle. Thanks for the info and will appreciate further advice.

Edit: I'm taking these temps from the Intel extreme utlilty. MSI Command center shows around 38C idle temp while Coretemp shows around 38-42C.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
TJ max is 100c and that's when thermal throttling will kick in. 80C Seems OK. My max temps when running Linpack are around 80C of course I'm on a Cooler Master 212 Evo. Idle temps are between 20-25C

I think you're fine. Have you tried OCCT or Prime95 small FFT?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Voltage is auto but it's consistent around 1.15 even when stress testing. Also it's 4 ghz base and 4.4 turbo.

I also google'd around and found out overheating 4790k's seem to be a little common. I tried updating bios and reseated and reapplied thermal paste 3 times (grain of rice then smoothing it with business card; cleaning it off with rubbing alcohol). Another thing is that intel xtu reports idle temps as 38-49c (it jumps a lot) and testing at 70-89C, coretemp reports between 37-42C for all cores idle and MSI shows around 43-46C idle temp.

I also use a Corsair H60 as cooling and have several fans on case properly set up to cool my pc, but it seems my cpu wants to stay hot.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEM74 View Post

Voltage is auto but it's consistent around 1.15 even when stress testing. Also it's 4 ghz base and 4.4 turbo.

I also google'd around and found out overheating 4790k's seem to be a little common. I tried updating bios and reseated and reapplied thermal paste 3 times (grain of rice then smoothing it with business card; cleaning it off with rubbing alcohol). Another thing is that intel xtu reports idle temps as 38-49c (it jumps a lot) and testing at 70-89C, coretemp reports between 37-42C for all cores idle and MSI shows around 43-46C idle temp.

I also use a Corsair H60 as cooling and have several fans on case properly set up to cool my pc, but it seems my cpu wants to stay hot.
There's your problem right there. Don't spread it out first, let the weight of the heatsink spread it out.

Let's go through the right way to do it:

Clean the heatsink and cpu with 90-99% purity isopropyl rubbing alcohol using a lint free cloth (I use a coffee filter)
Tint the heatsink and cpu with thermal paste using a lint free cloth and just a touch of isopropyl alcohol to thin it out.
Apply a thin line of thermal paste down the center of the cpu making sure you stop about 1/8" from the edges. Apply this line straight down the center with the triangle marker on the CPU is oriented in the lower right hand corner.
Place heatsink on cpu and twist back and forth a few degrees to remove air bubbles.

Skip to 16:35

That is the correct way to apply thermal paste to a 4790K CPU. A grain of rice spread out is the WORST possible way you can do it.

Also, what thermal paste are you using?

·
Registered
83 Posts
It certaintly doesnt sound right. Even when I had the stock cooler on mine, just doing a power on test before assembling my loop, at 1.36V on Auto at 4.4 turbo, just 100% optimised defaults, max temp I saw idling was about 35C in a hot room.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thermaltake tx2. I'll have to try your method then.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

There's your problem right there. Don't spread it out first, let the weight of the heatsink spread it out.

Let's go through the right way to do it:

Clean the heatsink and cpu with 90-99% purity isopropyl rubbing alcohol using a lint free cloth (I use a coffee filter)
Tint the heatsink and cpu with thermal paste using a lint free cloth and just a touch of isopropyl alcohol to thin it out.
Apply a thin line of thermal paste down the center of the cpu making sure you stop about 1/8" from the edges. Apply this line straight down the center with the triangle marker on the CPU is oriented in the lower right hand corner.
Place heatsink on cpu and twist back and forth a few degrees to remove air bubbles.

Skip to 16:35

That is the correct way to apply thermal paste to a 4790K CPU. A grain of rice spread out is the WORST possible way you can do it.

Also, what thermal paste are you using?
You sir are a lifesaver. My idle temps are now >40C and stress testing remains >70C at stock clocks. Truly appreciate the help you have given. I now have hope for OC'ing
thumb.gif
. Only wish this video was easier to find so I didn't have to go through this hassle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts