Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Noob
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have built multiple PCs over the years, and I've done some overclocking, but this build is going to be my first adventure into the world of custom water cooling, so I wanted to go somewhere and ask people who know a thing or two what they think of the list of parts I have. I'm sorry that it will probably end up a wall of text, but it's a nerve-racking process for me. I'm constantly terrified of forgetting something crucial or getting incompatible parts or otherwise screwing something up.

Anyway, here is the system I'll be cooling:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($347.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($177.94 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - Night Hawk RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($188.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($58.87 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB GAMING X 8G Video Card ($547.00 @ B&H)
Case: Thermaltake - View 71 TG RGB ATX Full Tower Case ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home Full - USB 32/64-bit ($99.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1780.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 21:03 EDT-0400

And here is a list of the loop components I have chosen:

Radiator: XSPC RX360
Monoblock: EK-FB STRIX Z370 RGB
GPU Block: Phanteks Glacier G1080 MSI Gaming
Pump + Reservoir: Thermaltake PR22-D5 Plus
Fans: 3 x Riing Plus RGB w/ controller hub
Fittings: Y-Splitter; Ball valve; 10 HDC nickel fittings 16mm; angle adapters (all EK)
Tubes: 4 x EK PETG 12mm/16mm
MISC:
Pacific DIY Bending Kit
Thermaltake Rainbow-Sleeved Cables
Porter-Cable PC1500HG Heat Gun
Pacific Flow Indicator
Bridging Plug
NT-H1 Thermal Paste

I'm just looking for feedback on any changes you might make in favor of better parts, anything I'm missing, etc. I could really use your help.

Thanks so much!
-Hydro

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts
I would go with a different pump/res. As a general rule, if it's Thermaltake, keep it out of your loop. Their watercooling gear is generally lower quality at premium prices. I've only seen a few reviews on the flow indicator and they were mixed, but its a cool looking piece. Monsoon/Heatkiller/XSPC all have much better looking options for reservoirs.

You will probably need a male to male adapter for the drain and maybe some stop plugs.

If you haven't bought the processor yet I highly recommend buying it from silicon lottery. The delidding/binning is definitely worth the extra price.

Also you can save some money on a windows key at kinguin or other sites like it.

·
Noob
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would go with a different pump/res. As a general rule, if it's Thermaltake, keep it out of your loop. Their watercooling gear is generally lower quality at premium prices. I've only seen a few reviews on the flow indicator and they were mixed, but its a cool looking piece. Monsoon/Heatkiller/XSPC all have much better looking options for reservoirs.

You will probably need a male to male adapter for the drain and maybe some stop plugs.

If you haven't bought the processor yet I highly recommend buying it from silicon lottery. The delidding/binning is definitely worth the extra price.

Also you can save some money on a windows key at kinguin or other sites like it.
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't too keen on the Thermaltake pump/res either, but it was just about the perfect size, and I am looking for RGB theme so the rgb effects fit well. I had my eye on an XSPC one, but it only had a solid-color light bar in the middle, not rainbow. I'll take a look at Monsoon and Heatkiller.

Between submitting the thread and when it was posted, I did some more looking around and decided on going with two rads, and I switched them to HL GTR 360's instead of the XSPC ones. Would you say that's a good idea?

And thanks for the info on the processor! I'll definitely take a look! My local Micro Center, though, is selling the i7-8700k at $300, so I might jump on that and try delidding myself or just forego it altogether.

Also, does the "keep Thermaltake out" rule apply to fans also? Or are the Riing fans fine to keep in? I thought about going for Corsair ML instead.

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts
Thanks for the reply! I wasn't too keen on the Thermaltake pump/res either, but it was just about the perfect size, and I am looking for RGB theme so the rgb effects fit well. I had my eye on an XSPC one, but it only had a solid-color light bar in the middle, not rainbow. I'll take a look at Monsoon and Heatkiller.

Between submitting the thread and when it was posted, I did some more looking around and decided on going with two rads, and I switched them to HL GTR 360's instead of the XSPC ones. Would you say that's a good idea?

And thanks for the info on the processor! I'll definitely take a look! My local Micro Center, though, is selling the i7-8700k at $300, so I might jump on that and try delidding myself or just forego it altogether.

Also, does the "keep Thermaltake out" rule apply to fans also? Or are the Riing fans fine to keep in? I thought about going for Corsair ML instead.
Hardware Labs make some of the best rads out there so you're good there. What kind of fluid are you planning to use? I usually go with X1 myself, it's easy to work with and pretty cheap. Pastel looks great, but requires more prep work and is pretty expensive compared to the X1. If you do go with anything fancy you should get a blitz pro kit to clean the system beforehand.

The Tt fans are decent (cases too), pretty comparable to the corsair sp series. If you have the budget for the ML fans though I would go for it. I usually cheap out on fans and end up replacing them all (done this on three builds even). Also, the aquero is the best fan controller and software you can get. Definitely worth it IMO to get fan curves set up based on fluid temp so you don't have fans ramping up and down constantly.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

Yeah, the XSPC 170 or 250 with the D5 pump is legit! Comes with the mount and is made of glass.

·
Overclocker in training
14,019 Posts
Hi,
I'd scrap anything thermaltake
I'd also switch the ek mono block with a bitpower mono block if you really insist on having one
Otherwise go separate vrm and cpu blocks the stream is more straight forward and will cool much better.

The case I wouldn't pay that much for one when phantex has a lot better for cheaper.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,213 Posts
As has been stated by several others, just say no to Thermaltake. XSPC and Monsoon both have the option to use an RGB LED.

You also are not confined to Tt or Corsair fans for RGB. Choose the fans that are actually right for your cooling needs, and you can add Phanteks Halos for the bling.

On the rad, the HWL GTR is a fine radiator, but keep in mind that it is specifically designed for high speed fans. If you intend on having your build operate quietly, you would be far better served by the HWL SR2 series rather than the GTR, or sticking with the RX360 V3. Not to mention, if you were to stick with the Tt fans, the static pressure on them really os not sufficient for the GTR, which would cause even higher noise levels due to needing to run the fans at even higher speeds.

You need to really look at how components interact, especially the rad/fan combinations.

·
Noob
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hardware Labs make some of the best rads out there so you're good there. What kind of fluid are you planning to use? I usually go with X1 myself, it's easy to work with and pretty cheap. Pastel looks great, but requires more prep work and is pretty expensive compared to the X1. If you do go with anything fancy you should get a blitz pro kit to clean the system beforehand.
I was planning just to go with distilled water. I've seen a few RGB builds, and I like how clear water looks with a rainbow setup.

Hi,
I'd scrap anything thermaltake
I'd also switch the ek mono block with a bitpower mono block if you really insist on having one
Otherwise go separate vrm and cpu blocks the stream is more straight forward and will cool much better.

The case I wouldn't pay that much for one when phantex has a lot better for cheaper.
The problem with that is that Bitspower doesn't have a monoblock for my motherboard.

And I like the case. I've watched a few videos on it, and there are certain things about it that I really appreciate, like side-mounted rad and the removable mount in the top. Stuff like that.

As has been stated by several others, just say no to Thermaltake. XSPC and Monsoon both have the option to use an RGB LED.

You also are not confined to Tt or Corsair fans for RGB. Choose the fans that are actually right for your cooling needs, and you can add Phanteks Halos for the bling.

On the rad, the HWL GTR is a fine radiator, but keep in mind that it is specifically designed for high speed fans. If you intend on having your build operate quietly, you would be far better served by the HWL SR2 series rather than the GTR, or sticking with the RX360 V3. Not to mention, if you were to stick with the Tt fans, the static pressure on them really os not sufficient for the GTR, which would cause even higher noise levels due to needing to run the fans at even higher speeds.

You need to really look at how components interact, especially the rad/fan combinations.
Thanks for the insight! I need to pay more attention to the specs. I think I'll stick with GTRs and find adequate fans.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts