Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Was just wondering if any of you have formed an opinion of the new DFI 875P-T mobo? I'm building a new comp for a friend and I personally don't think he should invest in PCI-Express or the 925x motherboards yet, still to early. The new DFI board sounds pretty interesting though considering the LGA775 support.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by UB748

Hey guys! Was just wondering if any of you have formed an opinion of the new DFI 875P-T mobo? I'm building a new comp for a friend and I personally don't think he should invest in PCI-Express or the 925x motherboards yet, still to early. The new DFI board sounds pretty interesting though considering the LGA775 support.

I give it two thumbs up. I was an idiot and went for the Abit AS8, which is similar, but ended up with an AGP slot that doesn't line up. The DFI board is great, but I would only recommend it for those not looking for future upgrading. AGP and DDR will eventually die off. I find that if you are building an entirely new system, then go with the DDR2 and PCI-E. There is some performace gain to be had from DDR2, but not much from PCI-E right now, but the standard won't change so if you get PCI-E now, you will be ready for the next generation of Video Cards. Just a little bit of forward thinking. The Lanparty board is really nice, performs well and has a nice bundle with it. It looks like it OC's well too, not to mention that it is based on old reliable 875P.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
That is one bad mofo of a motherboard. I am getting one in a couple weeks. They are showing excellent oc results. I give that board 5 stars.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the response guys! I have to agree that everything sounds good about this board. My friend is not a computer guru so he really doesn't understand OC'ing and such. He just wants me to help him get the best bang for the buck. I've done plenty of reading up on the new mobo's and how they are "starting" to produce error free models. In my opinion, just mine of course, I think it's just to soon to invest in PCI-Express and DDR2. The benefits are certainly there but just not yet. I mean the thought of dual PCI-Express cards running in tandem is mouth watering but manufacturers are making single slot x16 mobo's? Then there's Nvidia using a dual 8X SLI configuration rather than a full 16X? Honestly the differences and future possibilities are mind-numbing. (i know, my brain hurts right now)

I feel sorry for anyone trying to make a choice, it's killing me and I'm buying for a friend.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
The great thing about the 875P-T is that it's the tried and true 875 chipset. Much can't go wrong there, just integrating the different style socket, no biggie. You are right about the ram and pci-e, it doesnt show any advantages as of yet, unless you talk about very extreme overclocking cases where the added bandwidth of ddr2 does show. Other than that, I would just stick with what has been proven to be a reliable platform. Let me know how it goes, I am going to get this board too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It would be a good board to get, as for going for the PCI-E and DDR2, if mostly for planning ahead. Then when he wants to upgrade to some DDR2 in the future he doesn't have to worry about having to get a new Mobo to put it in. Same for the PCI-E with video cards in the future going to be using it, well today it doesn't help to much, tomarow it can pay off. I myself would take the DFI now and later would buy a Mobo for the other options later when there is more choices for them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts