Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a second system (currently using an antec true control 550) and wanted some opinions on the Ultra X-Connect X2 PSU. Has anyone used it? Any positive feedback? Issues? Negatives?

Thanks alot,

Tim

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
if you really care for your PC, don;t buy this product. The primary mosfets have been known to physically blow up. i Had a friend who had one with a window in it, and it burned the acrylic. Please don;t buy this. Go for a sunbeam NUUO 550W...that's what i have and it runs solid

·
Registered
451 Posts
I second the person above me; I have personally gone through both an Ultra and a Sunbeam Nuuo.

The Ultra flippin' blew when I was merely watching a Splinter Cell 4 video!

The Sunbeam is HELLA good; lol it's so good that I am right now buying another one, because I

1.) voided the warranty because I was bored
2.) My power surge was too old, and couldn't save it = (

But heck, it's only...what, $80 to boot! lol this is coming from a guy who just bought $300 earphones =P

But seriously, get the Sunbeam Nuuo (available now only at xoxide.com for cheap price; get the sexy black one); I promise you won't regret it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
oh, btw, Antec is godly as well. Expensive, but godly stability and reliability.

If you can afford the money, get another Antec.

But when you look at the Nuuo, everything besides the Nuuo looks overpriced XD

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
OCZ, Fortron, Antec, and Enermax are the companies that you need to look into. The PSUs in high $80 and up. Forget about all others unless you're super budget.

My PSU, personally, I wouldn't have gotten it had I been able to get more money.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zipnogg

OCZ, Fortron, Antec, and Enermax are the companies that you need to look into. The PSUs in high $80 and up. Forget about all others unless you're super budget.

My PSU, personally, I wouldn't have gotten it had I been able to get more money.

those are all good brands, but seasonic needs to be added to the list.
the sunbeam nuuo 550w is also a very good psu. even on a budget you can get a good fsp psu for about 75 and the nuuo is about 85

I'd stay away from Ultra if I were you. they've been known to blow up, sometimes taking other components w/ them. If you ask me... it's just not worth the risk

·
Premium Member
20,315 Posts
I had an ultra fry a DFI board. Never again. I have OCZ, Antec and a new Seasonic that I just bought and they have all been excellent. Spend a few extra bucks and buy a good quality PSU. It will move with your upgrades and is so important to current PC's (especially overclocked ones) that I am sometimes surprised how many members of this forum have great mobos and GPU's and terrible PS. Stay away from Ultra; way too many horror stories on this forum alone.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had to send one back after 1 day of use, as soon as I would run any light graphics it would overload and shut down. They sent me a new one no questions asked but I am very weary now??? I was able to get mine for $40 and was debating on an Antec at the time which was only a bit more.
Live and Learn!!!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I can't thank you guys enough for this info. One of my friends just got one for a computer in their recording studio. He has five or six computers in a small closet with special cooling. If he had put that in already he would (potentially) have a very destructive fire on his hands.

I called him as soon as I read this... He's going to hook it up and let it burn-in for a month before using it now. The reason he got it is our distributor had it really cheap and it looked cool. Well now we know why... Again; thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts