Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I can't believe I just used a line from Short Circuit LOL. Johnny #5 Rocks.
Sorry, way off topic.
Anyways, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what seem to be some fine PSU's. I love the 100% modular capabilities of Ultra's X-Connect power supplies, and since Ultra is the only company that offers this due to a patent that they hold on the design and proudly display in their home office, I have no choice in manufacturer.
So what is the general consensus on the quality of these; build quality, energy efficiency, and reliability? Does anyone own one?
Here is a link to the best price I could find, and here is a link to


You gotta love Rodney Reynolds!

Thanks for any info and opinions.

*EDIT* To Admin...Sorry about the video being in the post. I thought it would just link to the page, not embed the video. If I need to change this, let me know, and it will be done ASAP.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
Its a pretty good PSU. Not one of the best but not bad either, if you want to do some awesome cable management it is a good choice.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,476 Posts
Really good PSU.
Jonny Guru gave it a 9.5 out of 10 and a "Recomended" PSU.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Its a pretty good PSU. Not one of the best but not bad either, if you want to do some awesome cable management it is a good choice.
Out of curiosity, why just a "pretty good" PSU? What are the drawbacks?
Cable managemnet is definitely a top priority. I am so sick of a spaghetti dinner exploding out of PSU's, even the ones that claim modular design. If it has more wires than I need permanently attached, then it's not modular!! Sorry, that just peeves me.

@ blupupher - I will check out Johnny Guru; Never heard of him before. Hmmm
Thanks
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,476 Posts
He does some really in depth PSU (and some other hardware) reviews.
He has a pretty good forum over there also that answers a lot of PSU questions ( and answered a few I did not know I even had).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Its a pretty good PSU. Not one of the best but not bad either, if you want to do some awesome cable management it is a good choice.
which ones do you think are better?

I think it's an awesome psu, I have the thermaltake 1200 and I also see allot of people with high end setups running it along with the x3 if I could say which are the top ones it would be the

Pc and power colling one
Thermaltake
Corsair

Ps I'm still waiting relay message to nc

X3
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ blupupher - Just read the whole review from top to bottm. Very good indeed. Thanks for showing me that.

@ Marin - Reading that review while writing this (you know what I mean LOL). Good stuff. I have had 2 other Ultra PSU's before, and have always loved the cable design.

@ Sonic & Marin - This is for a Summer 2009 build, not an upgrade on my current rig. I know my 780W OCZ is way more than enough
I actually had an Ultra X2 550W in it originally, but felt I needed an upgrade, and my friend needed a PSU anyways, so I sold it to him. Better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. As far as I am concerned (IMHO), the PSU is the single most important component in a build.

@ iggster - "Ps I'm still waiting relay message to nc" <- Huh? I don't get it


+reps to all BTW
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,206 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

@ blupupher - Just read the whole review from top to bottm. Very good indeed. Thanks for showing me that.

@ Marin - Reading that review while writing this (you know what I mean LOL). Good stuff. I have had 2 other Ultra PSU's before, and have always loved the cable design.

@ Sonic & Marin - This is for a Summer 2009 build, not an upgrade on my current rig. I know my 780W OCZ is way more than enough
I actually had an Ultra X2 550W in it originally, but felt I needed an upgrade, and my friend needed a PSU anyways, so I sold it to him. Better to have it and not need it, rather than need it and not have it. As far as I am concerned (IMHO), the PSU is the single most important component in a build.

@ iggster - "Ps I'm still waiting relay message to nc" <- Huh? I don't get it


+reps to all BTW

He's trolling. He has been doing this for the past week to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,074 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blupupher
View Post

Really good PSU.
Jonny Guru gave it a 9.5 out of 10 and a "Recomended" PSU.

i have that very ultra x3 and love it!! i never hear it at all, runs very cool, and came with more cabled ill ever use, plus it has tons more power then ill ever use also. i will never use 1000w and really neither will you so maybe get the x3 800 watt or something smaller unless your like me and just wanted a 1000 watt just to say you have one lol
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: spaceballsrules

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

He's trolling. He has been doing this for the past week to me.

you relayed a message about a score he would post the next day, that was on tuesday. He also mentioned that a family trajedy might strike and that his cards arent hard modded and for me not to make up any excuses as to why his score beats mine after he shows it.

Its now sunday and no sign of that score.
you and nc>
<Me
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,553 Posts
Well if this is a build for next year, are you planning to buy it anytime soon? or just want some more feedback?

By next year prices might be a cheaper a little.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by Marin
View Post

He's trolling. He has been doing this for the past week to me.

OOOOOOOH Shiny bait...NO NO, I am not going after it LOL

Quote:


Originally Posted by Squeeker The Cat
View Post

i have that very ultra x3 and love it!! i never hear it at all, runs very cool, and came with more cabled ill ever use, plus it has tons more power then ill ever use also. i will never use 1000w and really neither will you so maybe get the x3 800 watt or something smaller unless your like me and just wanted a 1000 watt just to say you have one lol

Glad to hear that. Cute kitty BTW
/me gets out a can of 9 Lives salmon for the little guy
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by Sonic
View Post

Well if this is a build for next year, are you planning to buy it anytime soon? or just want some more feedback?

By next year prices might be a cheaper a little.

Yeah, I will wait to buy. Just putting it together piece by piece in my head. Can you blame me? It's fun to window shop with this stuff. I am thinking an Antec 1200 case, the new Core I7 CPU, and a MOBO to go with it, probably the Asus or Intel board. Other parts to follow. My choices may change over time as well, so who knows


@iggster - /me slaps iggster with a frying pan LOL

*EDIT* DOH sorry about the double post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,991 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

@iggster - /me slaps iggster with a frying pan LOL

hey I helped I just noticed my fan was in the same thread and still wondering where that score is lol

btw GET THE ULTRA x3 I would of got it also but no one had it locally. The thermaltake is also very good to...

Dont they also have a 1600 watt ultra? now that would be sick!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:


Originally Posted by iggster
View Post

hey I helped I just noticed my fan was in the same thread and still wondering where that score is lol

btw GET THE ULTRA x3 I would of got it also but no one had it locally. The thermaltake is also very good to...

Dont they also have a 1600 watt ultra? now that would be sick!!

Yeah, they do have a 1600W version. You should see it. It's almost twice as big as the 1000W. Not that size matters Hehe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,820 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by spaceballsrules
View Post

Wow, I can't believe I just used a line from Short Circuit LOL. Johnny #5 Rocks.
Sorry, way off topic.
Anyways, I wanted to get everyone's opinion on what seem to be some fine PSU's. I love the 100% modular capabilities of Ultra's X-Connect power supplies, and since Ultra is the only company that offers this due to a patent that they hold on the design and proudly display in their home office, I have no choice in manufacturer.
So what is the general consensus on the quality of these; build quality, energy efficiency, and reliability? Does anyone own one?
Here is a link to the best price I could find, and here is a link to 3DGameMan's review on YouTube
You gotta love Rodney Reynolds!

Thanks for any info and opinions.

*EDIT* To Admin...Sorry about the video being in the post. I thought it would just link to the page, not embed the video. If I need to change this, let me know, and it will be done ASAP.

I have it and its wonderful, put it in your cart and order it
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,283 Posts
I've actually read nothing but good things about the Ultra X3 line. I don't think you'll regret it. I know I absolutely love my 100% Modular PSU, and I don't think I could go back.
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top