Overclock.net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my Opteron 165 has been ordered and it's on it's way (thought I fried my 3500+, then found out I didn't, and didnt' bother to cancel order cause I secretly want a dual core anyways).

So, I was wondering if anyone else has had any good results with this chip? I'm hoping for at least 2650 to match what I'm at now in terms of gaming performance. Does that seem attainable with my setup?

Something I've always run into problems with has been memory. Does anyone have any specific settings I should change in Genie? I heard something about Preamble being set differently or something...I dono. Suggestions are welcome.

Also, is there anything I should download? I know the dual core driver, and the hotfix. Anything else? Are there any games or apps that take advantage of dual core? Any patches for games/apps?

Thanks a lot guys. (I'll start a new thread when it arrives with the stepping and initial results)

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
I got a new CCB1E CPU and it does 2.8Ghz at 1.55v, so very happy with it. Prob go further if I wanted to really push it.

As for the memory timings, use the guide from DFI street. It should take about an hour to get the smaller timings setup, but I've found they're vital for stability.

CoD2 and Quake4 currently have patches out for the dual core, but the CoD2 one actually lowers performance unless you run very high resolutions.

If you do use the quake4 patch, you'll need to disable the dual core support from Forceware driver 80.xx and beyond or they'll clash. Nvidia have promised a fix, but if you decide to do this let me know and I'll show you the route to take via the registry.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
congrats on the chip, expect 2.6-2.8 daily clocks. The extra cache is gonna help alot.
When you get it, start off with alot of the auto settings in the DRAM configuration, except the usual ones (2-2-2-5) CPC enabled.
I have the same mobo, so if you need some opinions on what to change, I will help.

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22

quick question was your 3500+ ok after the ihs removal and why wasnt it poosting originally

OH ya, always happy to answer questions.

It is ok now!

What I think happened was that it wasn't seated fully in the socket for some reason. That's really the only explanation. I guess overnight the pressure of the heatsink slowly forced it completely in.

I did not achieve a higher overclock or lower load temps at all. However, the idle temps of the processor are now down to 21-23 degrees from 28. This probably doesn't effect much, but it has to be better for the chip a little bit at least.

Just in case you were wondering, it's a really easy and pain-free process to remove it (except when you think you fried it and blow 443 dollars (canadian) to get a new processor lol. Just use a razorblade (use one from a "razor tool" because it has a blunt side), and start at the corner. I found it easier if you kinda get it under a little bit slowly at first...then see-saw it back and forth until you get it under enough...then tilt it in the way you want to cut. Meet in the midde with all four corners (go both ways from each corner).

Oh, by the way...will my heatsink fit on my opteron now? since the opty has it's IHS still? will the bracket be too short? will it push too hard? thanks guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just put together a box with a 165. Fairly painless to get it to 2.7GHz. Running the memory at 300MHz at 2.9v (manufacturer recommends 2.85-2.9 at this speed). 9x for the cpu and 3x for HTT. Had to give the cpu 1.45v to get it prime stable. It's going to make a nice video encoding box.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HookedOnTV

Had to give the cpu 1.45v to get it prime stable.

that's all?
even the dual core opterons are owning the X2's. You would have to be crazy to even think about buying an x2 with the dual optys out. Why anyone would pay for an X2 is beyond me..

·
Premium Member
8,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

that's all?
even the dual core opterons are owning the X2's. You would have to be crazy to even think about buying an x2 with the dual optys out. Why anyone would pay for an X2 is beyond me..

That was my justification to jump on the Opty bandwagon. I wanted dual core, but I wanted it cheap (cause buying my 3500+ was a waste when I could have got a 3000/3200+ instead). Either way, I think the Opterons are WAY better value than Athlon 64s right now.

PS - Anybody running dual core on XP Home? I heard that it dosen't work from most sources...but a few places have done it? Gimme anything you know about this please! Cookies for help!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.