Overclock.net banner

Opteron 165 time!!!

4716 Views 74 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Sideburns
Just got my Opteron 165 in the mail from NCIX.

Seems there's mixed results with this stepping.

CCBWE 0550UPMW

Let's hope to see 2.6 (hopefully 2.7) on this good 'ol xp-120.

Do you think it'll fit since the bracket's been modified for no IHS?
21 - 40 of 75 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
As far as the memory timings go being TCCD chips I have patriot DDR400-DDR533 with XBL technology which is the TCCD chips and have checked on other sites that are also TCCD chips as well all recommend the same timings for every manufacturer....

DDR400 -- 2,2,2,5 -- 2.6-2.7v
DDR433 -- 2,3,3,6 -- 2.6-2.7V
DDR466 -- 2,3,3,6 -- 2.7-2.8V
DDR500 -- 2.5,3,3,7 -- 2.75-2.85V
DDR533 -- 3,4,4,8 -- 2.75-2.85V

Have had this memory O/C at DDR600 @3,4,4,8 2.8v but have read other forums and such that say they set theirs to 3,5,5,10 but not so sure about those timings...
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by brad62249

As far as the memory timings go being TCCD chips I have patriot DDR400-DDR533 with XBL technology which is the TCCD chips and have checked on other sites that are also TCCD chips as well all recommend the same timings for every manufacturer....

DDR400 -- 2,2,2,5 -- 2.6-2.7v
DDR433 -- 2,3,3,6 -- 2.6-2.7V
DDR466 -- 2,3,3,6 -- 2.7-2.8V
DDR500 -- 2.5,3,3,7 -- 2.75-2.85V
DDR533 -- 3,4,4,8 -- 2.75-2.85V

Have had this memory O/C at DDR600 @3,4,4,8 2.8v but have read other forums and such that say they set theirs to 3,5,5,10 but not so sure about those timings...

I meant more specifically with Opterons. I know already my initial timings are 2.5-4-3-6 all the way past 300.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
well, it could be your bios, or your memory timings...I would give 704-2BTA a try or 623-3.
Look for others at dfi-street with the same memory and see if you can find what they are using for timings.. Other than that, try to just manually set the CPC to enabled, and the 2.5-3-3-6 timings...leave everything else at auto or default.
Increase voltage to 2.7
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by tytlyf

well, it could be your bios, or your memory timings...I would give 704-2BTA a try or 623-3.
Look for others at dfi-street with the same memory and see if you can find what they are using for timings.. Other than that, try to just manually set the CPC to enabled, and the 2.5-3-3-6 timings...leave everything else at auto or default.
Increase voltage to 2.7

I've got 623-3. The memory is "stable" for memtest...but not for large ffts. I think it must be the processor talking to the cpus and it's something to do with timings. I'll try 2.7v just to see
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
increase your LDT voltage a notch, and your chipset one notch. I would still be using a divider on your memory so that it isn't even close to being the cause of instability. You dont want to be in your situation not knowing what component is failing.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by tytlyf

increase your LDT voltage a notch, and your chipset one notch. I would still be using a divider on your memory so that it isn't even close to being the cause of instability. You dont want to be in your situation not knowing what component is failing.

Well dude...this is messed up. I just put the ram on 100 (1/2 divider)...and it's running large ffts right now for 13 minutes with no problems. This is weird, because it was always stable with my 3500+. Guess I'll have to do some major tweaking on the ram again to make it stable...that kinda makes me mad, cause memtest is a pain in the ass to keep doing over and over.

I did up the chipset. I guess I should up the ldt too, cause I always did with my other processor...so maybe that'll help, thanks.

Any ideas what would cause the ram to be unstable at such a low frequency?(290)...usually my problems start at about 305...
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Yes....I'm now testing it on a 180 divider....and it's been priming for 22 minutes. It's something to do with the ram and the memory controller...something like that. Why won't it run 1:1? It's not like the ram isn't stable...

Could it be power supply? I don't think so...but it's a possibility isn't it?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
it's your memory thats slowing you down. Keep it on a divider running around 200-220 mhz while you are testing your max cpu....
You should only be focusing on your cpu at this point. Work out the strange stuff with the memory later.

And as far as your question about your memory being unstable at such a low frequency (290), if you are talking about DDR 580, that's not low...keep your memory much lower and just test the cpu only.
Once you find your cpu maximum, then you can do tweaking with dividers and such...
 

· Banned
Joined
·
3,924 Posts
Ok, ok ok ok... What is your HTT multi at? It should be at FSB x HTT multi x 2 = less than 1000MHz. Sorry, I just wanted to make sure that your HTT was under 1000MHz. ANything over will cause instability, and anything under 800 will do the same thing.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Some_Idiot2

Ok, ok ok ok... What is your HTT multi at? It should be at FSB x HTT multi x 2 = less than 1000MHz. Sorry, I just wanted to make sure that your HTT was under 1000MHz. ANything over will cause instability, and anything under 800 will do the same thing.


It's at 3. I tried it at 2 and 1, but nothing helped. I don't think that's the problem anyways, cause it's been way over 1000 stable before. it's at 3 though right now.

When I say "low" on my ram...it's RATED to run at DDR400 (1.5-2-2-5) AND DDR600 (2.5-4-4-7)...It likes 2.5-4-3-6 better though. I have memtested it up to and past 300FSB, so technically the ram is stable...just i guess it isn't stable with this particular cpu combo yet.

Time to get down to some hardcore tweakage to find the problems.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Could a reformat help? Supposedly people are saying that not re-installing xp with dual cores can cause instability issues? Does this hold water? or are they just blowing steam up our asses?
 

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
If it were me I would reinstall mainly to have a clean install and get all the latest updates for all software and hardware...I do assume that you are using your existing MOBO if not yes then you need to do a clean install to make sure all the correct drivers are there....
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by brad62249

If it were me I would reinstall mainly to have a clean install and get all the latest updates for all software and hardware...I do assume that you are using your existing MOBO if not yes then you need to do a clean install to make sure all the correct drivers are there....

Naw only thing I changed was CPU. Mobo is the same. XP was just installed on Christmas. Isn't that old. I'll try it in a few minutes if this new BIOS doesn't help any (flashed to 704-2bt)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Then you souldn't need to reinstall...just make sure you have the latest bios like you said.
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by brad62249

Then you souldn't need to reinstall...just make sure you have the latest bios like you said.

Just re-installed to be safe. Got everything updated and shat. Can't get newest chipset though (never could) cause it causes memory dumps.

I was just curious...so I ran sp2004 dual on stock speed/voltage. Large ffts. It fails after 3 seconds. Large ffts is screwed! What the hell is wrong here? It could pass small....but not large....and there's nothing wrong with my ram.
 
21 - 40 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top