Overclock.net banner

Opteron 165 time!!!

4715 Views 74 Replies 11 Participants Last post by  Sideburns
Just got my Opteron 165 in the mail from NCIX.

Seems there's mixed results with this stepping.

CCBWE 0550UPMW

Let's hope to see 2.6 (hopefully 2.7) on this good 'ol xp-120.

Do you think it'll fit since the bracket's been modified for no IHS?
61 - 75 of 75 Posts

· Premium Member
51,319 Posts

· Premium Member
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by beserkjay

Seems like its hard to put on a clip-on air cooling heat sink without crushing the cpu.

How were you able to do it Sid?

lol, sid? Meh...you can call me Mark if you like.

What I did was I unscrewed the mounting bracket and used 400grit sandpaper. I laid it flat on a hard surface and I used the technique commonly used for lapping a heatsink to shave off a small amount of material on the bottom of the bracket. I sanded in a circular motion then rotated 90 degrees, repeat, repeat...until after test fitting I made good contact with the core. I then did a couple of test fits with AS5. After I was sure everything worked I screwed the bracket down nice and tight, then I push the heatsink on. I held the heatsink in place, while I clipped on the clips with my fingers. ALternated clips (like tightening a cylinder head/tire).

Any other quesions feel free to ask.

· Premium Member
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
OH, hells ya!

I raised the FSB up 5 Mhz last night for an overall 290x10. 2610 Primed for 9 hours last night while I slept. This was not possible before, but it's totally stable now. I went to 295, but no dice. I just brought the ram up to the 166 divider, so the ram is running at 237 right now. Hopefully it'll move way up and get closer to the FSB....I hate huge dividers!

Anyways, chock up 45Mhz to removing my IHS (maybe more later)

· Premium Member
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by fiendofmine

i cant believe you still havent got a stable OC yet of over 2.6. i overclocked my friends and got 2.8. on his Xp-90. maybe its just luck you lack

Yup. Probably that. I had the same deal with my 3500+ not going over 2651. This thing won't go over 2610.

I think I'm getting a new PSU next week, so hopefully it'll help rather than hurt my overclock. Lmao.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Give Memtest a shot, it'll tell you what's up. It's a small ISO that you burn to a disk and it'll run tests that will tell you whether your RAM is stable or not. Ideally, let it run for 2 passes.

· Premium Member
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burn

Give Memtest a shot, it'll tell you what's up. It's a small ISO that you burn to a disk and it'll run tests that will tell you whether your RAM is stable or not. Ideally, let it run for 2 passes.

Lol. Memtest is built into my mobo actually...

I have established that my ram is stable up to 300FSB and slightly beyond. I know for a fact it's not the memory. This is a problem with either the Opteron's memory controller, with my PSU not supplying both enough power at the same time, or the mobo just being a piece of crap.

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
Whoops! I didn't see your motherboard. I actually have the same one! Can you memtest it for 2 loops please? The new memory controller may have an effect on it. It shouldn't take more than 45 mins max to make 2 passes.

· Premium Member
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Quote:

Whoops! I didn't see your motherboard. I actually have the same one! Can you memtest it for 2 loops please? The new memory controller may have an effect on it. It shouldn't take more than 45 mins max to make 2 passes.

Alright. I'll memtest it for 2 passes when I get home from work tonight around 8:15. I'm priming it right now so when I get back I should have a better idea of the stability.

· Premium Member
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
It passed memtest twice. No errors/ nothing. This memory is rock solid!

The memory controller or the powersupply or the mobo is the problem. Next week it defn will not be teh PSU lol.

any recommendations by the way? I was thinking 650 watt silverstone Zeus (the quad rail one) :-D

· Premium Member
15,303 Posts
I'd do the NUUO, people have had awesome results with that. It's totally up to you what PSU you want, it's all dependent on your setup, I'd reccomend around 600 watts or higher.

· Premium Member
11,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Quote:

I'd do the NUUO, people have had awesome results with that. It's totally up to you what PSU you want, it's all dependent on your setup, I'd reccomend around 600 watts or higher.

I've decided to get the SeaSonic S12-600. It's quite a beast, and should power my rig nicely.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.