Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
Joined
·
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there again guys. From what i Hear and AMD CPU running atleast 2.4ghz Will run most of todays games and current cards ( Not DX10 ) Without a bottleneck or much of one.

Well The reason i ask is ill be soon getting the Opteron 180 and its simply a question i wanted answering. Im not worried however interesting to know.

Cheers
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,616 Posts
Bottleneck is a very vague word. To tell you the truth, the higher you clock a cpu, the more fps you are gonna get. So, the fps you get is really dependant on both your gpu and cpu. For you however, I don't believe your X1600Xt would be "bottlenecked" by an opteron 180. But if you clock it higher, as I said before, your fps will still increase regardless of your gpu.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: ENTERPRISE

·
Administrator
Joined
·
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:


Originally Posted by NrGx
View Post

Bottleneck is a very vague word. To tell you the truth, the higher you clock a cpu, the more fps you are gonna get. So, the fps you get is really dependant on both your gpu and cpu. For you however, I don't believe your X1600Xt would be "bottlenecked" by an opteron 180. But if you clock it higher, as I said before, your fps will still increase regardless of your gpu.

Well this is what i thought.

Cheers mate.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
688 Posts
Bottlenecks would only be noticable in benchmarking, all of the current game engines will run fine on a Athlon64 at 2.4ghz
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,465 Posts
the term bottleneck is widely misused........

bottleneck actually refers to the slowest component in your system, which in this case would be your HD. i don't think any processor will slow you down.....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,390 Posts
I assume you OC since you're on OVERCLOCK.net SOOOO.... I suggest getting an Opteron 165 over the 180. You save a few hundred to put in to your video card (which I strongly suggest with a 1600xt) and the 165 will likely OC as much or MORE than the 180 if you get a CCBBE stepping (which seems likely now-a-days)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
19,078 Posts
I can play all the games I have at max settings on a 1280 x 1048 screen. HL2:Ep1, CS:S, BF2, NFS:MW, NFS:C all get 60-80 fps and my cpu is a bottleneck keeping me from 80-120+ fps (I get 40-60+ in NFS:C, which is plenty for a racing game). An A64 at 2.4ghz or more should do you fine if you upgrade to a x1900xt or higher.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,616 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes View Post
I assume you OC since you're on OVERCLOCK.net SOOOO.... I suggest getting an Opteron 165 over the 180. You save a few hundred to put in to your video card (which I strongly suggest with a 1600xt) and the 165 will likely OC as much or MORE than the 180 if you get a CCBBE stepping (which seems likely now-a-days)
Well considering he has already ordered the 180, the point is moot.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,390 Posts
Quote:


Well The reason i ask is ill be soon getting the Opteron 180 and its simply a question i wanted answering. Im not worried however interesting to know.

This is the only thing I see regarding ownership. Even his sig doesn't note it. Pardon me not knowing it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,616 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes
View Post

This is the only thing I see regarding ownership. Even his sig doesn't note it. Pardon me not knowing it.

It's not your fault at all. I wasn't blaming you laddie.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,351 Posts
The biggest bottleneck in your computer is indeed your HD unless you have a Raptor or two or three or four in RAID0. But for the CPU, it mostly depends on what type of games you play. If you play CS:S and you have like a 2.4GHz AMD and any 6800 series card, you'll get the same FPS no matter what settings you have on, thats a TRUE bottleneck. In games like BF2142 or F.E.A.R. or Oblivion, the CPU isn't really that important, just for AI, background activity, and a little bit of physics.

If you want to play is Source/Steam games, all you need is a Conroe at 5GHz with a $100 video card and you'll always get a constant 200 FPS.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,390 Posts
It's only really a bottleneck when you're loading files initially... which makes a difference all of a few seconds at MOST when playing games like FPSs.... when you load the game... and when you load a map. Otherwise it's never the bottleneck. Then it's usually up to the CPU or GPU to decide what's the bottleneck that lasts the DURATION of the gaming session.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
64,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well thanks for the Info. The Opteron 165 may be nice but it was hard to get hold of over here. Also with its 9x Multi it was going to make life hard for my RAM. As for my X1600XT hat games fine with everything on MAX..No kidding.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top