Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought an old 1U IBM eServer and I need some help making it run cooler and quieter. The stock cooling system works fine but it's insanely loud (which is to be expected), and since I'm going to be keeping it in my bedroom it's just too much noise for me to live with. The cause of the excessive noise is the 4 San Ace 40mm fans which are notorious for being insanely loud (but boy can they move a lot of air!).

I plan to replace those 40mm fans (except for the PSU fans which aren't nearly as loud) with quieter ones and replacing the CPU coolers to bigger, cooler, and quieter ones. Since it's a 1U form factor, the retention plate is different from your regular K8 mounting system so finding a good cooler is proving to be quite difficult.

Here's some pictures of the mounting system:

As you can see, the two holes for mounting the heatsink to the retention plate are offset by about a quarter of an inch.

I'm looking for a large cooler that will adequately cool the CPUs and will be relatively quiet. Obviously it will be too big to use with the top of the case on, but I don't mind leaving it off since I'm not going to be stacking anything on top of it. This looks like it might fit the bracket but I'm not totally sure.

Specs:
IBM eServer 326m
Dual AMD Opteron 254's 2.8Ghz (Socket 940)
8x 512Mb DDR 400
73.4Gb 10k RPM SCSI HDD
Dual 10/100/1000 Ethernet

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think that will adequately cool my Opterons? It seems a bit weak. Also, I don't think it will fit the retention plates.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I'm going to have to make some kind of custom bracket, then I can put whatever cooler I want on it. I'll probably just get a couple Xiggy's.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts