Discussion Starter #1
Opteron 146 - CACJE 0546BPMW

About to pop the hood and swap my Winchester for my (hopefully) beast :/

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Fingers are crossed

Chanting: muffin, muffin, muffin

Micah has a 148 CACJE 0546...has had luck with overclocking, but now is having problems.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
That stepping seems, in both the 0546 and 0548, to OC very well in the 148s

Thye seem to like lower vcore. With tthe VID/Vid Special in the total of high 1.4 -mid 1.5v range on the DFIs.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have a 144 sitting at my doorstep for me when I get home. Chances are I'll have the CACJE, considering it's from the shipment that just came in around the country. I'll report on the low-end side of the Opteron field when I get it runnin g. =)

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inquisitor

Good luck muffin!!
If the opty isnt overclocking as you'd like it to, dont be afraid of voltage.
I've seen some up to 1.8v!!
Keep us posted!

Also, don't be afraid to hit it a few times with a heavy tool, see if that helps your overclock!

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its in and alive

Took a while cos I also got an NV Silencer for my 6800 as well - lowered my GFX temps from 53C idle to 36

The Opteron is idling at 30C with my Tornado at its lowest speed right out of the box, no 'burn in' on the AS5. Pushing it up now

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
good luck
How come everyone gets the good stepping and I got CABGE lol
Well, anyway I sold that chip a while back, and i'm still running my trusty ol' winchester

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the good wishes guys

Currently running OCCT at 2.7, stock voltage. Super Pi 1m in 33seconds, my RAM is running at fairly loose timings, 3-4-4-8 @ 2.8V

Looks to be idling at 33C and loading (OCCT) at 40C. Still got the Tornado turned down real quiet

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2.74GHz (274x10) is the highest it will go on 1.4V. I had to go to 1.45V to get 2.8GHz...and thats where I am now.

RAM is 1:1 3-4-4-8 @ 2.8V (stock).

Super Pi to 1m in 30.797 seconds.

The motherboard is running great. I haven't had to clear CMOS once. No problems with BIOS at all.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
That great news!!!

So I guess its safe to say you have a pretty darn good stepping

·
Registered
394 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by muffin

2.74GHz (274x10) is the highest it will go on 1.4V. I had to go to 1.45V to get 2.8GHz...and thats where I am now.

RAM is 1:1 3-4-4-8 @ 2.8V (stock).

Super Pi to 1m in 30.797 seconds.

The motherboard is running great. I haven't had to clear CMOS once. No problems with BIOS at all.

Sweet deal.

Did you try higher Vcore. I have found, and read, that once you hit the wall with Stock volts, You really need to get the volts going to get the clocks higher. Is that true in your situation. Also... lets some 3gig action

I'm thinking about getting an asus just because I want a stable board that overclockes well at the same time. Do you have any Vdroop issues (how is the vcore stability). My priorities are STABILITY and then OC, so DFI meh. I dont meant to hijack the thread or anything. Sorry if i did.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by n19htmare

Sweet deal.

Did you try higher Vcore. I have found, and read, that once you hit the wall with Stock volts, You really need to get the volts going to get the clocks higher. Is that true in your situation. Also... lets some 3gig action

I'm thinking about getting an asus just because I want a stable board that overclockes well at the same time. Do you have any Vdroop issues (how is the vcore stability). My priorities are STABILITY and then OC, so DFI meh. I dont meant to hijack the thread or anything. Sorry if i did.

My Vcore wobbles around a bit as I set it higher. It wobbles more the higher I go. At 1.4V its rock solid. I don't know if its the mobo or PSU that is causing this. My money is on PSU at the moment - I'm getting an S12 600W next week, so I'll be interested to see if its my PSU or the motherboard that is to blame.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Its starting to get tricky...

I played with my RAM a little and it dosen't seem to want to do CAS 2.5 at these speeds. Its at 2.95V and 3-3-3-6 1:1

I think I just lost my onboard sound, its hissing and popping at me. I'm going to go grab a cheap old soundblaster from somewhere

290 x 10 @ 1.5Vcore testing now

EDIT: Woohoo, 1st time ever under 30secs in Super Pi: 29.656

1 - 20 of 22 Posts