Overclock.net banner

Opteron 150 Venus or Dule Opteron 165 Denmark?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
I was looking into getting a Denmark myself but I did some looking around and didn't find that it was a consistantly good overclocker. Unlike the single cores that regularly get 3GHz I don't think I've come across a Denmark hitting those numbers. But that 2x1mb L2 cache and low stock voltage looks tempting

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
The one thing that is most important is what you are going to use it for?
I wouldn't get the 150, because I believe it overclocks just as high as the 148's.
Go with the dual, if you got that kind of money you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well, the Denmark has the advantage of being a dual core processor, which'll mean better multitasking ability and significant performance increases once multithreaded software and games becomes more wide-spread, and with several new games coming early this year supporting multithreading, it's a pretty good time to buy if you ask me. But as Transonic said, characteristically, the overclocks with the dual cores aren't as high and aren't as consistant, it seems around here the average is between 2.6GHz and 2.7GHz, which is still pretty quick, a free FX-60 basically. The Venus has the advantage of being more overclockable and more consistant in overclocks. This late in the game I personally would go with the Denmark because there's not a big performance difference between the 100-200MHz difference in average overclocks, and the dual core will be very nice down the road. I would've gotten dual core, but it was out of my price range.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I do a lot of video encoding, but at the same time I like to game. If I get the denmark then I will be able to do both.

The way it is now I do one or the other.

I was looking at maybe pairing it with 2gig G.Skill Extreme performance ddr500

off topic-- what would be better for overclocking 4 512's or 2 1gig's

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotDog

Well I do a lot of video encoding, but at the same time I like to game. If I get the denmark then I will be able to do both.

The way it is now I do one or the other.

I was looking at maybe pairing it with 2gig G.Skill Extreme performance ddr500

Sounds like you already made a decision to me

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HotDog

what would be better for overclocking 4 512's or 2 1gig's

2x1G by far.
So now you have to decide whether you want a 148 (save a couple hundred) or a denmark
Seems the dual core would suit you better.
I recommend some of the Gskill 2x1g memory kits available. Awesome memory.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I think this is what I will shoot for when I get my Tax's back.

AMD Opteron 175 Denmark 1GHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache Socket 939 Dual Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Custra...82E16819103584

And for Memory

G.SKILL Extreme Series 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 500 (PC 4000) Dual Channel Kit System Memory - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820231021

I probably will not be upgrading for 1 1/2 years or better after this so I think I will spend a little more up front. The reason for the 175 over the 165 is because of the multiplier.

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I think you should get the dual core, it has two cores, and there isn't really much of a differnce between 0.3ghz....

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
great choice hotdog, you will not be disappointed.
i take it you will be keeping your current mobo and other components?

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tytlyf

great choice hotdog, you will not be disappointed.
i take it you will be keeping your current mobo and other components?

What he said

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes everything else I will keep.. except the video card. Like I said I do a lot of video encoding so I thought I would pick the new All in Wonder card up also. but If I get the All in wonder card I might have to just get the Denmark 165 instead of the 175.

Unless of course I can sweet talk my wife

here is a linjk to the Video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814102642

1 - 15 of 15 Posts