Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright ive heard alot about these processors, so id like to know why they are better then a normal 4400x2. they look well priced, and i have a few questions

1) are they good for games?
2) if so, can they run sli or crossfire, and do they use server mobos or normal gaming mobos?

4x4???

i keep hearing about the letters after the opteron like DNSM and one is better then the other, and clarification?

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I have one..and I love it...

It's not so much the DNSM, it's the stepping that is critical, if you would like to get a good overclocker.

Read here for more info on steppings :
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ad.php?t=96900

As for it being better than the X2 4400, IMO I think so, because the Opteron's are actually server processor's, meaning they are put under more stress, and have higher expectations to achieve then the average processor.

They run in normal Skt 939 mobos.

Yes, you can run SLI and Crossfire with them.
I currently have the rig in my sig running Crossfire w/ an Opteron @ 3ghz on air.
I have another puter that has an Opteron 175 and an SLI 7800GT setup as well.

• Rep+
Reactions: Gregor222

·
Filthy Casual
8,653 Posts
As long as they are socket 939 or AM2, they will run on "gaming mobos"

For the Opty 165 CCBBE is the best stepping, I believe. They overclock higher than 4400s, and have the 2 x 1MB L2 cache, making them work a little faster even at slower clock speeds. I don't exactly know what it is that makes them better, but I plan on finding out very soon.

·
Registered
866 Posts
I'm wondering too, as I'm just about to purchase an X2 4400+, and everybody keeps saying things to me about Opterons.
Could I be guided to the path or enlitenment (AMD) please?!

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor222

Alright ive heard alot about these processors, so id like to know why they are better then a normal 4400x2. they look well priced, and i have a few questions

2) if so, can they run sli or crossfire, and do they use server mobos or normal gaming mobos?

4x4???

i keep hearing about the letters after the opteron like DNSM and one is better then the other, and clarification?

1. Yes, they work as well for games as non-server AMD 64's

2. Yes, they can run multi-gpu's if the board allows for it, and no server board required for the socket 939 opterons (1xx model numbers, 144 thru 154 (all single core) as well as 165-185 (all dual core).

·
Premium Member
22,477 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
So, If I get an Opteron 170 2 x 2.0GHz w/2MB Cache, is it better than an X2 4200+ 2 x 2.0Ghz w/1MB Cache for gaming and all other "Power Hungry" programs?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
The difference in cache used to be quantified as "a 5% increase" in performance with the larger cache, but yes, the 170 will be better than the 4200.

·
Premium Member
10,490 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gregor222

4x4???

The 4X4 will be a special chipset for socket F, which supports the 2200 series opterons (up to 2 of them). The socket Am2 opterons are similar to an FX series processor of the same speed. The next socket F opterons that are to be released will be rebranded to the FX series.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sounds good, but is the 165 opteron the best overclocker? how does the 170,180 190 or whatever compare to the x2 series, and how far will the opty 165 with best stepping goes (compared to another opteron, like over clocking a 165 to be the equivalent of a 175)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i love the sound of that, but what about the am2 opterons? they have numbers like 1218 and stuff, how are the stepping on those? cause im saving for a DX10 Opteron or C2D build, and i love overclocking.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Look at the link I sent you, I believe that the majority of great oc'ers are the 165's with good steppings.

170's, I haven't followed, but if you get a 165, you have to be sure you have a mobo that can handle 300+ FSB, along with some good RAM. because the 165's have a multi locked @ x9, unlocked below that though, and the 170's are x10, 175 are x11, 180's are x12.

So..yea

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
how about the AM2 opterons, i want to get a DDR2 DX10 setup, so how good are they? is there an equivlant of a 165 for am2? i only saw the 4 digit numbers like 1218 instead of 165 on the am2 opterons

1 - 17 of 17 Posts