Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, quick question about optical audio (I've never used it). I currently use the Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 speakers for my rig. I have them plugged in using the regular 3.5mm. is it possible to connect these to a sound card with optical audio jacks, and if so what kind of cable or equipment would I need to do so? Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just use the analog connection, although optical is usually better because it doesn't have to deal with an audio source that has been converted from digital to analog, the difference would be very minor with the Klipsch speakers.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well it can make a difference, but your speakers don't have an optical out, so I just wouldn't think about it if I were you, plus getting an internal sound card just for the speakers would be a bit overkill, but try out the analog, and if you find it doesn't sound the way you want, consider getting a sound card or different speakers that use optical in.

But in my opinion, I would just use the analog, and not worry about it.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Possible, yes:
http://audioengineusa.com/Store/audioengine-d1-tech

Useful, no. The ProMedia speakers are decent computer speakers, but by no means high enough quality to be able to tell much difference (though likely a little). If you had a really poorly designed onboard sound card, going optical could make a bigger difference, though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.