Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I am looking for a good optical drive for ripping a TON of CDs using EAC (Exact Audio Copy). I currently have a off brand cheap Drive out of my mom's old PC. Should I just go out and buy the most expensive drive I can find or should I look for certain things (specifications) about the drive then go from there? Any help would would be great! If you have any other software recommendations other than EAC let me know too.

ALSO If this was already answered somewhere please send me the link.

·
Premium Member
32,931 Posts
An optical drive is an optical drive is an optical drive. Pick one. They all do the same thing.....read and write discs.

I personally prefer Samsung drives, but that's just me.

·
Audio File
3,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud;11939139
An optical drive is an optical drive is an optical drive. Pick one. They all do the same thing.....read and write discs.

Eh, some of them have different features with regards to lossless ripping.

OP, any optical drive you get will most likely work for ripping lossless.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Averywhite;11939250
Thank you! The guides are GREAT! So this drive will be perfect?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151222
Don't just buy it cause it's expensive.

If you need the bluray sure. keep in mind it only reads bluray and doesn't burn it, you can get bluray readers for cheaper......you are almost hitting the price point of a bluray burner.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
If the drive is functioning properly then you will simply read all the data correctly. It's just data recorded on the disk, not sound. So you either are reading with precicion (all data is read correctly; data is usable), or not. There will be no such thing as quality difference for example.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

Not really. When it comes to burning lossless without any errors, certain optical drives are much better than others. Audiophiles are pretty picky about optical drives. I don't know if the OP is using EAC or not, but I would suggest heading over to head-fi.org to find some optical drive suggestions if you are.

If you're justing WMP or iTunes, then pioneerisloud is right... any optical drive is fine.

·
Premium Member
8,183 Posts
Configuring EAC using the guides means that EAC will compensate for your optical drive's properties via AccurateRip. Yes, optical drives do differ in say writing and reading speeds but they're nothing to much to worry about. It's a difference of a few secs writing wise. Nothing much.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Alright I ended up doing my own EAC tweaking after reading a bunch of guides. Anyways I ended up getting this drive at Comp Usa but I just went to go find it and It has disappeared. It has 2mb cache and I'm guessing the speeds are okay. (not really looking for speed anyways) The Receipt says A455-5022 ASUS 24x DVDRW SATA OEM. So far I haven’t had any problems with it (I’ve done about 78 Cds so far) and all the rips sound good to me. Thank you guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts