Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building a PC for a friend, he's chosen the Corsair Air 740 case. Hell be using an H115i and will have a hybrid cooled video card so thats a 120 rad.

I will be putting the 115i on the top, but I'm not sure how to do the rest. He wears headphones, so lots of fans don't matter.

The front supports 3x120 or 2x140, the bottom supports 2x120 or 2x140, and the back 1x120 or 1x140.

Here's one of my ideas:

Setup 1)
Back: 140 exhaust
Bottom: 2x140 intake (it doesn't have a dust filter, but I have two magnetic dust filters I can give him)
Front: 2x120 + Hybrid cooler in push/pull

My thoughts are the hot air from the hybrid will be cooled off by the air intake from the bottom before getting to the video card fan, which then gets exhausted out the back.

Setup 2)
Back: 140 exhaust
Bottom: 2x140 exhaust
Front: 2x120 + Hybrid cooler in push/pull

With the hybrid on the bottom, the two 140s on the bottom will exhaust that hot air right out the bottom.

Setup 3)

Back: Hybrid push pull
Bottom: 2x140 intake
Front: 2x140 intake (or 3x120, any thoughts?)

All that cool air coming into the case, and only heat being exhausted.
 

·
Shooting down fallacies
Joined
·
8,485 Posts
Setup 3 is the best provided you use good 140mm fans. But why bother with push/pull on a 120mm aluminum rad? It won't do anything but take up space and make more noise.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Setup 3 is the best provided you use good 140mm fans. But why bother with push/pull on a 120mm aluminum rad? It won't do anything but take up space and make more noise.
I've heard the AIO coolers on these things can get pretty hot
 

·
Shooting down fallacies
Joined
·
8,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masters View Post

I've heard the AIO coolers on these things can get pretty hot
And? It's still a 27mm thick rad. Push/pull is of little to no benefit. I know these are significantly more efficient rads in this test than CLC rads, but you can see how push pull does nothing on the thin rads and becomes increasingly more effective as the rads become thicker - http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/

The point being, don't give yourself another piece to work around that does nothing. And with all of the fans you are putting in, more noise is the last thing the build needs, headphones or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

And? It's still a 27mm thick rad. Push/pull is of little to no benefit. I know these are significantly more efficient rads in this test than CLC rads, but you can see how push pull does nothing on the thin rads and becomes increasingly more effective as the rads become thicker - http://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/02/11/radiator-round-2015/5/

The point being, don't give yourself another piece to work around that does nothing. And with all of the fans you are putting in, more noise is the last thing the build needs, headphones or not.
Fair enough then, saves me a bit of money.

Thanks
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top