Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I got this crappy card in my laptop, and I don't really care how crappy games look, as long as they run (for this laptops sake). Now I've tried turning everything to low, etc, but the increase in performance is completely unplayable at times. Thing is, I just want to be able to keep a framerate around 20FPS so that I can at least move without having to look at the ground

Are there ways to disable certain shaders, etc, without using the game?

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I remember that the VooDoo cards had glide mode or whatever, where a bunch of things were disabled to make the game run better (even though the game looked a bit like crap). Is there a way to manually force games to no use shader 2.0, or force games into a dx8.1 standpoint? I'm trying to play the left 4 dead demo on this thing

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Wow, laptop. Um. Vista? Set your power management to High Performance instead of Balanced. That should help a bit.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by error10 View Post
Wow, laptop. Um. Vista? Set your power management to High Performance instead of Balanced. That should help a bit.
Lol, ya, sorry, laptop

Anyways, ya, its been on high performance all the time. I've tried switching it down to 16-bit textures and whatnot and still no seeable difference. Tried doing "exec loadend" in console but the difference was minimum.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Your not going to be able to really game on it.

Older games should run fine (Red alert 2 perhaps), but no newish games like COD4 will run on it.
My Laptop has x3100. CoD4 Runs on it with 640x480 at lowest settings, but with JUST playable frame rates (15-30fps). I really couldn't optimize it either, until I got a program from HP, I can't remember what it is now, since I run OS X, but you could search your manufacturer's support page for such program.
Have a nice day.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by darkspearxz View Post
My Laptop has x3100. CoD4 Runs on it with 640x480 at lowest settings, but with JUST playable frame rates (15-30fps). I really couldn't optimize it either, until I got a program from HP, I can't remember what it is now, since I run OS X, but you could search your manufacturer's support page for such program.
Have a nice day.
Like an accelerator or something?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Domino View Post
Like an accelerator or something?
Yeah, It had settings so set to power saving mode and ability to allocate memory.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
x3100's can game better then my rig, but not by much. I think you might be better off getting a desktop for X-Mas or a laptop with a 8500GT or something. But still. don't fret i am trying to find a program that i had found 1 second

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
how do i find a left 4 dead.exe? It won't let me put a desktop shortcut off of steam for something reason, saying that it is already there, but it inst

any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trueg50 View Post
Your not going to be able to really game on it.

Older games should run fine (Red alert 2 perhaps), but no newish games like COD4 will run on it.
You'd be surprised what will run on this crappy little IGP. I got a free Gateway T-6815 with a bad motherboard, I figured out the board had a bad video chip, but rather than have it repaired (I don't know how to do component repair, but I want to learn) I found a replacement motherboard for less than $200.

Well, it is a nice little machine, but graphically it is running Intel's x3100. I thought, "well, I just can't game on it" but so far I've installed both Halo and The Elder Scorlls, Morrowind, and they both run fine.

Youtube had people running half-life 2.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
wow....6 year old games run on 2 year old hardware. omg

1 - 16 of 16 Posts