Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Optimus writes about their heatsink, which sounds sexy! But does it have any effect in practice compared to any other pumptop?

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
The Optimus Reservoir/Pump Combo is what your talking about correct? I don't anyone has really noticed any difference.

It's nice piece and looks great but there are draw backs to it and why some of optimus users still use Watercool Tube/Aquacomputer Ultitube and other options. It' doesn't support Aquacomputer D5 Next Pumps for one. Also, some users prefer the ease of use associated with the Ultitube Reserviors/Watercool Tube. It costs a ton more than the Aquacomputer/Watercool one.

Bunch of us are just using the other brands till Optimus Glass Reservoir and Alternative mounts come out that support pumps like D5 Next (clones of it will come).

• Rep+
Reactions: whatsupguys

·
Never Finished
2,422 Posts
Well, let's analyze their claims:

Our CNC aluminum d5 housing does double duty as a large heat sink to dissipate heat from the D5 pump. Now, you probably know that D5 pumps are cooled by the liquid in the impeller. This means the pump heat enters the liquid loop. And since D5s can pull up to 30 watts, the heat generated is not trivial.

With the Optimus heat sink, additional heat is pulled from the D5 and wicked into the air, not the liquid, reducing reservoir temps by a noticeable amounts.Overall, the Optimus system is multiple degrees cooler than any other pump/res combo on the market.
So, D5 pumps are cooled internally. I don't agree that 30w isn't trivial because it really is by today's standards, and the coolant is pulling the majority of that heat away from the pump. The pump bottom isn't really a heatsink in the traditional sense. It does "sink" heat, but it's more of an insulator than anything because there are no fins to help dissipate or pull the heat away from the metal. It'll probably help reduce temps because it is technically doing what metal does when exposed to a heat source, though I wonder how the pump shell is contacting the bottom. I can see it doing something if you put some thermal paste inside. D5 shells aren't really that smooth so there will be poor contact.

I don't like how they worded the last paragraph. The liquid wouldn't have pulled that extra heat in the first place lol. They make you think that you're saving your loop from a heat disaster because of the almighty pump bottom or something. Granted, lower temps lead to less leakage and thus lower temps, but we're talking under 30W here where the majority of it is actively cooled...peanuts. Any number greater than 1 can be counted as multiple degrees cooler. To claim that it performs better than ANY other pump/res would imply that they have done testing to validate that claim. I'd like to see their detailed results and testing methodology.

With premium construction comes premium noise dampening. Reducing noise requires reducing both transmission and vibration. Because the pump is enclosed in a solid CNCed aluminum block, far less noise can escape. Moreover, the monolithic block mounting prevents vibrations from rattling the surrounding case. This way, we can eliminate the typical vibration-dampening rubber tires typically used to dampen D5 pumps.
So, they are talking about pump noise and vibrations being dampened by the block of metal. Yeah, sounds about right. Nothing to really knock off there, but I never thought that your oh-so-typical rubber tires (lol) are suddenly inferior because of this product. Rubber gaskets and o-rings have been doing their jobs reliably when it comes to vibration dampening.

People have been using D5s for what around 2 decades now, and I don't really hear people complaining about heat. Common reports usually talk about how quiet they are, reliability and versatility. And this is pre-Optimus, so the pumps are being used with your typical plebian materials heh.

But to OPC's credit, they make quality products in the USA. They are expensive, but they don't cheap out on materials, and their tolerances are among the best in the market. They're kinda like the high-end audiophile world of computer hardware. You pay double for that extra 5%. I'd just buy another radiator lol.

They're marketing to the discerning individuals who like their Boeuf Bourguignon with a light splattering of lamb juice. Jokes aside, it would be a good idea for your DDC pumps which rely on ambient air to keep the motor cool. Not so much for D5. And rubber tires are just fine.

• Rep+

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It' doesn't support Aquacomputer D5 Next Pumps for one.
(...)
Bunch of us are just using the other brands till Optimus Glass Reservoir and Alternative mounts come out that support pumps like D5 Next (clones of it will come).
About the Next pump.. I think I'm going for the High flow Next sensor. Is it anything the Next pump can do that rhe high flow sensor can't? Or vica versa?
I came to the understanding that the High flow sensor Next could monitor flow rate and coolant quality, which the Next pump can't?

Cheers

They make you think that you're saving your loop from a heat disaster because of the almighty pump bottom or something.
Exactly lmao, and I feel like they are doing this with all their products. Don't get me wrong, their products look nice and well crafted, and made in USA which is great - but their marketing is very misleading.

I'd like to see their detailed results and testing methodology.
Me too.

So, they are talking about pump noise and vibrations being dampened by the block of metal. Yeah, sounds about right. Nothing to really knock off there, but I never thought that your oh-so-typical rubber tires (lol) are suddenly inferior because of this product. Rubber gaskets and o-rings have been doing their jobs reliably when it comes to vibration dampening.

People have been using D5s for what around 2 decades now, and I don't really hear people complaining about heat. Common reports usually talk about how quiet they are, reliability and versatility. And this is pre-Optimus, so the pumps are being used with your typical plebian materials heh.
Right.

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Coolant Quality/water quality is bit of gimmick as many of the owners of the next flow meter can tell you.

• Rep+

·
Registered
4,437 Posts
Oh is it? Do you know a place where I can read more about that? :)
No i don’t but i have tested how many fluids and theres no effect on cooling. It’s literally tuned for aquacomputer dp solution. Distilled is 20-30, Mayhem is 40-100, Dazmode Protector is 130. Mayhem xtr 4nm is 40-50 but its not worth buying that solution (expensive)

• Rep+
1 - 7 of 7 Posts